Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The master cylinder has failed on my mum's 130 tdi which has required replacement along with the clutch. The car is on a 52 plate with 50k miles and is 3 months out of warrenty. She's not particularly happy as the bill was ?650 at a main dealer. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Anybody know the number for VW customer care?

thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
Definitely worth a try with VW customer care in the hope that they will at least make some contribution - you have nothing to lose by trying!

Sorry I can not remember the number but it has been on the forum several times so if you do a search you should find it - or ask your local dealer for the number!

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Hi

Master cylinder is a very common problem and could be carried on in to a 4th year of warranty.

As for the clutch , why was this changed as it is not something that would have gone with the master cylinder?

Was the clutch slipping at all?

Sarah

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi

Master cylinder is a very common problem and could be carried on in to a 4th year of warranty.

As for the clutch , why was this changed as it is not something that would have gone with the master cylinder?

Was the clutch slipping at all?

Sarah
Suppose the idea was "while we are in here", as with the gearbox off all you have is the cost of the clutch... Unless the master cylinder leak had contaminated the friction plates..

·
Registered
360 Posts
You dont need to remove the gearbox to replace the master cylinder.

So would not leak on to the clutch either!

Oh dear

Sarah
Id presumed he was talking about the slave cylinder, as thats in the gearbox... But must admit not 100% sure

if its replacement means removing the gearbox, just thought it did...

If im wrong I'll get 'mi coat! [:)]

Merry Christmas!

Chris

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Yes you do have to remove the gearbox for the slave cylinder.

But the master cylinder is the ones that are renowned for going.

But if it was the slave cylinder could possibly be worth replacing while it was off , but the dealer should have had a word with customer care to see if they could have got some help from them.

Definately get in touch with customer care and check for master or slave as if it was master I would be very suspect abot the clutch replacement.

Sarah

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
The master cylinder has failed on my mum's 130 tdi which has required replacement along with the clutch. The car is on a 52 plate with 50k miles and is 3 months out of warrenty. She's not particularly happy as the bill was ?650 at a main dealer. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Anybody know the number for VW customer care?

thanks
hi

i had a similar prob ......ie

broke down one night ......had no use of the clutch pedal

anyway long story short

turned out to be the pedal box and the master cylinder and clutch on its way out

car was dropped of at dealers

they replaced the pedal box and master cylinder free of charge ......even thou i was still in warrenty time

they replaced theses items under the vw good will thingie .......

and no way was i paying for a clutch from them got my clutch fitted else where for a 3rd of the price

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would check the price of that.

Dealer price is far cheaper.

Sarah
yep, funny that you were right

anoyingly, despite replace the m/c, my pedal is still creeping to the floor[:mad:]

no other leaks and servo is tip top.

anyone else experience the 'creeping pedal syndrome'!

ps our local vag dealer tried to convince me all mk4s are like this[:S]

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not all Mk4s are like that - I have a PD115 and a friend had a PD150 and neither of them have the 'creeping pedal syndrome'!

·
Registered
340 Posts
do u mean the slave cyln that when you dip the clutch it pushed the friction plate in?? if so you defo dont need to repve the box to chage this.

·
Registered
927 Posts
do u mean the slave cyln that when you dip the clutch it pushed the friction plate in?? if so you defo dont need to repve the box to chage this.
might be crossed wires here-im talking about the brake m/c, not clutch.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I replaced my clutch master cylinder as it was leaking but still giving a correct pedal action, after replacement (?42 for a genuine VW part) I then had the pedal sticking on the floor problem, after further investigation I found that the bleed valve on the gearbox was leaking - perhaps at the same time as the master cylinder. I fitted a new seal to this and all is OK. For info, its easy to bleed the system using Gunsons pressure bleed kit - you don't need to follow the procedure given in VW's Elsawin by pumping the pedal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts