Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up this morning with it raining and alarm going off. Investigated and found steady stream of water dropping into the cabin from the interior trim above driver. Now have a tarpaulin over it as footwell was going to fill up very soon. Its a Mk4 Golf Hatchback 2001 MY which I have owned from new. Its a bit of a coincidence but this is the first bit of heavy rain we have had since I had new sills fitted both sides. I have taken a photo of the piece of trim, but being a novice at this forum, cant see a way of adding it here. Pulling the trim away a bit just increased the flow of water!

Hopefully someone can advise on how to best proceed. (I shall start by removing that bit of trim when next dry - rain due to stop by tomorrow :))

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driver side is scuttle blocked and going into the bonnet cable usually. Check the box below the wipers - it seals off the harness from the body.
Many thanks Adam. I should have been more specific. The water is coming in from the inner trim above the driver's head. Its dripping into the rear drive side corner of the drivers footwell. This is the first rain since the sills were replaced so its got to be connected with that!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If it's above the driver then either sunroof drain is disconnected (assuming you have one), or the main door seal is perished.

As above though, no idea how it'd be connected to the sill replacement?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's above the driver then either sunroof drain is disconnected (assuming you have one), or the main door seal is perished.

As above though, no idea how it'd be connected to the sill replacement?
I will check the sunroof drainage system - I know that the ends of the drain pipes are clear. I think main door seal has to be suspect but initial inspection says not. Just a coincidence re sills, nothing more, but maybe the main door seal was disturbed in the process.

I will report back when I have found the root cause. Thanks for your advice so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Disturbing the door seal is a good idea.
Been on it today. Both front sunroof drains were partially blocked. They are now very clear. So I am 90% sure of fixing it. I guess I should pour a couple of buckets of water over the roof to try and simulate the rain intensity we had on Tuesday morning. Will advise of any findings/developments on here, but on to other projects now. Thanks for help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts