Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I really could do with some help I topped up the oil which I got at halfords slightly different what was in.(10w-40 topped up with 5w-40). Guy said would be fine, since then I was driving down motorway tried to accelerate and white smoke came from the back and a bit of loss in power. Took foot off the gas and the smoke went away. I drove just along the road and had loss of power and an amazing amount of white smoke out of the exhaus. The four wheel drive just stopped in time behind me. I managed to get it off the road I noticed that may in the oil cap not a lot of coolant left and loss in power, and huge amount of white smoke. Any ideas is this something I can fix, and to top it the battery has gone also.

I would appreciate any help
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
sounds like it might be a headgasket problem, you really dont want to be driving it until it is sorted, it will only cause more damage to the head. It's bad practise to mix oils but it is not related to the headgasket problem. It is something that you can do yourself but if you've never done it before have a mate who has to help and you will likely need to get the head taken to be skimmed so it sits flush again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response to be honest don't know anybody that has done this. Are they any guides to do this I do have haynes manual but can be at times mixes you up, having to go back and forth in the book. Who will skim the cylinder head. I will be honest I haven't done anything like this before but lack of cash may have to. Would it be expensive for a garage to do this.

Thanks in advance

Hope this year gets better 2 family deaths, another looming, car wrecked, internet off, and have man flu, that's me whinge out of the way

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Bad times but such is life, Im afraid it dont get much better with regards to your car - garages will charge per hour and going at a basic £40/hr rate then parts ontop plus the little extra for themselves, you'll be looking at anything from £600-800

If your planning on keeping this car then it's worth leaving it a bit until you get some cash together then doing other bits while you got the head off too like valve stem seals and timing belt and water pump if they can do a deal for you cheap. Otherwise just ring around get take the cheapest quote you can get for the headgasket job. Well I suppose theres also another choice, you could cut your losses and try sell it with the problem, to someone who knows what they're doing they will gladly take it on and sort out in a day so there will be buyers, then maybe another car. If you go for another golf try and avoid the 2.0 go for the 1.8 naturally aspirated engine.

Do hope things start to look up for you though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts