Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car serviced yesterday and the dealer said they need more time to fix my central locking problem (it unlocks but doesn't lock or set the alarm {the red light next to the door pin flashing, right ?}). So, to lock the car, I have to push the door pins down manually at the moment. But, is there any way of setting the alarm manually ?

I have a plastic tag thing which has a little metal nipple on the end with votex printed on the side.. dunno what it does, but there appears to be a receptacle in the boot (next to the 12 volt socket) that the nipple fits into, or contacts ? Anyone know if it's any thing to do with the alarm ?

Any other advice you can give me ? [:D]

·
Registered
582 Posts
not sure if it will work with the golf, but on my old cupra (I think) if you locked the door with the key and then held it in the locked position (much like the auto window close on the golfs when locking with the key) it set the alarm.

Worth a try at least[?]

as for the plastic tag - not a clue[:p]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote: posted by Bowdie on 31/12/2004 01:03:56

not sure if it will work with the golf, but on my old cupra (I think) if you locked the door with the key and then held it in the locked position (much like the auto window close on the golfs when locking with the key) it set the alarm.

Worth a try at least[?]

as for the plastic tag - not a clue[:p]

Cheers Bowdie.. think I tried that earlier on.. but i'll go and give it another try in a mo, nowt to lose I guess ! I'll try and pick up the plastic tag thing from my mums and post a pic of it ! [:D]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Whilst we're on the subject, is there any way to lock the car but not arm the alarm (or at least the interior sensors), as i often need to leave my dog in the car and she sets the alarm off as soon as she moves.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote: posted by bam margera on 31/12/2004 01:14:57

Whilst we're on the subject, is there any way to lock the car but not arm the alarm (or at least the interior sensors), as i often need to leave my dog in the car and she sets the alarm off as soon as she moves.

Yeah, you press the button on the B pillar (it's all in the handbook)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I find that button does not work properly, or certainly you dont know if you have the disabled or not.

One thing thats not mentioned in the handbook if I recall, is I ahve noticed, if you lock the car with the remote, and just after the central locking has fired, press the lock button again, the hazzard lights dont flash, but the door pin led flashes like normal. Is this a remote way of turning of sensors?

·
Registered
316 Posts
on my car (a 5-door 03) if you lock with the key in the lock it sets the slarm automatically..

just be quick getting back in the car as if you UNlock with the key it DOESNT dis-arm the alarm [;)]

if you press the alarm fob in quick succession (within a second of each other) u will hear the car "lock" again. i used to think that this was a deadlock system but later found out it turns off the alarm but the LED still flashes..

i know the alarm (or at least the interior sensors) are turned off as i use this feature at shows on hot days when i leave the windows open.

HTH

·
Registered
638 Posts
In the switch on the b pillar for turning sensors off, shuld the little led inside it light up? If so, in what state? When the sensors are turned off is light on, or when sensors are on the light is off??

THe handbook doesnt make much sense to me on that as I have tried but it doesnt appear to do what it should.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The Votex key thing signifies that you've got the Votex 'dealer fit' alarm on your car - My gf's '98 has the same so I'm guessing your car is also an early UK mk4? As far as I can determine, the key is used to enable/disable the alarm system by contacting the receptacle in the boot. This won't allow you to 'set' the alarm but only stop it from going off if you have a switch problem or when you disconnect the car's battery.

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
i've had the the problem with a relatively flat battery. unlock the car with the key, then you must start the engine within 10 seconds or otherwise the alarm will go off

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Quote: posted by RichieDan on 31/12/2004 10:06:17

In the switch on the b pillar for turning sensors off, shuld the little led inside it light up? If so, in what state? When the sensors are turned off is light on, or when sensors are on the light is off??

THe handbook doesnt make much sense to me on that as I have tried but it doesnt appear to do what it should.

Please somebody..clarify this! I'm sure the light in mine is on all the time...I can't figure out whether the feature is on or not, pressing the button doesn't change its appearance or anything else as far as I can see.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by Rally_Chris on 31/12/2004 10:20:23

The Votex key thing signifies that you've got the Votex 'dealer fit' alarm on your car - My gf's '98 has the same so I'm guessing your car is also an early UK mk4? As far as I can determine, the key is used to enable/disable the alarm system by contacting the receptacle in the boot. This won't allow you to 'set' the alarm but only stop it from going off if you have a switch problem or when you disconnect the car's battery.

Chris

I was hoping you'd reply to this chris [:D] It certainly is chris, delivered august 98. I must take a picture of it and post it up.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote: posted by VeeDub Geezer on 31/12/2004 09:45:54

on my car (a 5-door 03) if you lock with the key in the lock it sets the slarm automatically..

just be quick getting back in the car as if you UNlock with the key it DOESNT dis-arm the alarm [;)]

if you press the alarm fob in quick succession (within a second of each other) u will hear the car "lock" again. i used to think that this was a deadlock system but later found out it turns off the alarm but the LED still flashes..

i know the alarm (or at least the interior sensors) are turned off as i use this feature at shows on hot days when i leave the windows open.

HTH

Your havin a giraffe right ? I've had my car two years this week, and i've been continually pressing it twice, thinking it was the opposite, i.e. the alarm wasn't active until that double locking sound was heard, the indicators flashed and the red led was flashing ! typical !

Doesn't do nowt except drop the door pin on mine.. I did as bowdie suggested above and it does nothing, no sounds, no flashing indicators, no flashing led next to door pin.. so I assume the alarm isn't active ? [:(] unless I leave a rear door open, do as you say above and then open the rear door and see if the alarm goes off.. might try that tomorrow !

·
Registered
316 Posts
to test my alarm i locked the car then unlocked with the key and opened the door...

wait a few seconds and you r alarm *should* sound...

mine does..

·
Registered
703 Posts
Quote: posted by golf-ball on 03/01/2005 13:02:16

i dont have a B pillar button.

is my 2001 Bora S deprived?

Maybe the Bora S doesn't have an alarm, only an immobiliser?

With regard to the 1998 Votex Alarm, here's some useful information:

Posted Image
Posted Image

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I had the Votex emergency key on my old 98 GTI. Asa Chris's instructions show you can arm the alarm with the 'nipple'. I found the alarm was terrible. It kept on going off, despite the dealers worst efforts. The sensors were replaced about 3 times.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers guys.. good old vw didn't give me any clue as to what that was, when I bought the car from them ! I might ask them when I take the car in on friday, just to see if they know [;)]

I dunno if I shall bother trying it though.. seems like a right kerfuffle.. those instructions seem typically vague too - "The system will beep one or two times" i.e. - we're not entirely sure !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts