Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Mallory Park today - 56k go make some tea

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  sparrow 
Neil Birketts project golf (from VW Driver? magazine)

Yep! Had a fun day ? first time out on brand-new Toyo T1-R tyres, only fitted them on the Saturday afternoon and drove up to Mallory from Bracknell before taking to the track. They performed very well in cold, wet and slippery conditions, very grippy but also progressive and didn't have a moment's concern the whole day, although I was driving somewhat less than 10/10ths due to the conditions and with all those twitchy Mk 1s around.

Oh and for anyone concerned about NVH problems when fitting poly bushes, don't (be concerned). I fitted a new pair of wishbones with Superflex bushes on the Saturday pm (lying on the ground in 2C and pouring rain, soaked to the skin and shivering!) and they work very well. Best way I can describe the improvement is like the difference between knackered old shocks and fitting new gas dampers: firm and controllable, but not at all harsh. Fitting the wishbones on the car is the easy bit, had to have professional help putting the bushes in as it really needs a hydraulic press and the right pilot pieces. SKS at Bedford did it for me for ?40 cash although I am not sure they would be anxious to make a habit of it ! See next issue of VW Driver mag!

Quote: posted by sparrow on 23/11/2004 15:49:16

D'oh, I'll try and get your name right next time[:I]

How did you find the wear on the Toyos? I had a brand new set on as well, and am very glad that it was wet, as there was a noticable amount of wear on the left front. Not excessive, but a dry day would have been painful for the wallet.

Just had a close look and hardly any sign of wear at all, just the faintest scuffing on the shoulders. Mind you, T440JUJ does corner very flat, thanks to Spax RSX kit + Eibach arbs

Would much prefer Mallory in the dry, though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.