Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Mallory Park for the track day there today. What a great experience! [:D] If you haven't done one, I highly recommend it.

Even though it was a bit wet, there was still plenty of traction, making for some interesting times, including one trip to the gravel pit [:I] Could have been worse, as the guy that was behind me decided to stand on the brakes ([:O]), and ended up brushing the barrier (see below). Other than that, the left front took a bit of a pounding, but not too seriously.

Here are some pics. First 4 are me:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My friends car

Posted Image

Some other pics:

Audi Quattro - 0-60 in 2.6 seconds[B)]

Posted Image

Neil Birketts project golf (from VW Driver? magazine)

Posted Image

Brushing the armco:

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you look at the very front edge of the wing of S10 MPH you can see where Bernie touched my Vento VR6 as I spun on the exit of Gerrards and had a pretty bad prang.

Looks like he had all the luck today, especially as his front bumper and nearside front wing were already damaged by his wife entering the garage!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went to Mallory earlier this year and ended up with ?8,000 repair bill. The R32 is now back on the orad and 99% good, but I won't be taking it on the track again!

Mallory is a good track, although small, can be a hoot as it allows you to get techncal on the corners. you see the same one enough times!

The poor golf with the 'slight' damage was there in February too.

Hugh

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Giddy, it was organised by ianb of this forum, and he got a discounted rate of ?94 for the day. Track day insurance isn't compulsory, but as you can see from the replies, it is not a bad idea! I didn't have any which is why I called it a day after 3 sessions.

Hey Carlos, you always ask silly questions? [:eek:)]

Volkswizard, I saw you in the tires [B)] as I was also in the red session. Was there much damage? I actually found it to be quite friendly in general, although there were one or two very aggressive drivers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Insurance is a good idea, although this wasn't my first track day but it was my first one with insurance!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

However, it's back and ready to go again!

Posted Image

Amazing what some wax, polish (and ?8k) can do!

Hugh

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was quite confident in the wet & enjoy the wet tracks. I only had 2 offs Sunday, only because Andrew & sparrow piroueted in front of me and had to take avoiding action. The damage looks worse than it is as the car is covered in mud & grass. The wife never noticed the the extra little dents but winged at the muck covering the body. A 4x4 course is next on the list for me. Sparrow, I can't see the photo "brushing the armco" can you PM me withe photo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bernie,

Let me apologies for stopping the day earlier in the year, assuming I'm correct and it was you there in February.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes I was their in Feb. but I won't hold it against you. So I made up for it this time by going on track a couple of times after the 2 "offs". wanted to get my moneys worth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
LOL - At least there wasn't any realy damage caused to yours, or anyone elses cars. Hope it was a bit wamer than Febrauary too! There was still ice on the track then.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Neil Birketts project golf (from VW Driver? magazine)

Yep! Had a fun day ? first time out on brand-new Toyo T1-R tyres, only fitted them on the Saturday afternoon and drove up to Mallory from Bracknell before taking to the track. They performed very well in cold, wet and slippery conditions, very grippy but also progressive and didn't have a moment's concern the whole day, although I was driving somewhat less than 10/10ths due to the conditions and with all those twitchy Mk 1s around.

Oh and for anyone concerned about NVH problems when fitting poly bushes, don't (be concerned). I fitted a new pair of wishbones with Superflex bushes on the Saturday pm (lying on the ground in 2C and pouring rain, soaked to the skin and shivering!) and they work very well. Best way I can describe the improvement is like the difference between knackered old shocks and fitting new gas dampers: firm and controllable, but not at all harsh. Fitting the wishbones on the car is the easy bit, had to have professional help putting the bushes in as it really needs a hydraulic press and the right pilot pieces. SKS at Bedford did it for me for ?40 cash although I am not sure they would be anxious to make a habit of it ! See next issue of VW Driver mag!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
D'oh, I'll try and get your name right next time[:I]

How did you find the wear on the Toyos? I had a brand new set on as well, and am very glad that it was wet, as there was a noticable amount of wear on the left front. Not excessive, but a dry day would have been painful for the wallet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote: posted by sparrow on 23/11/2004 15:49:16

D'oh, I'll try and get your name right next time[:I]

How did you find the wear on the Toyos? I had a brand new set on as well, and am very glad that it was wet, as there was a noticable amount of wear on the left front. Not excessive, but a dry day would have been painful for the wallet.

Just had a close look and hardly any sign of wear at all, just the faintest scuffing on the shoulders. Mind you, T440JUJ does corner very flat, thanks to Spax RSX kit + Eibach arbs

Would much prefer Mallory in the dry, though!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a good look at my tires this morning, and there was less wear than I had originally thought. There is a fair amount of scuffing on the edge of the treads though.

I don't have ARBs yet, so that will make a difference.

Hmmm, so the next one is in February....[:D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts