Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fancy making my Milltek full system exhaust sound a little more purposeful.

It has been suggested that if the middle box is removed and a replacement pipe fabricated in it's place it will increase the exhausts's resonance and give it a more meaty sound.

I don't want my car to sound like a chavved up Nova but I do want more rasp from the exhaust.

Anyone got any thoughts or who has done this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey cluke,

I would also be interested in knowing how to do this

They sound lovely don't they, but like you I just want a little more sound and power from it.

Dale

·
Registered
954 Posts
hey guys ive got an unresonated milltek and its a little louder than the resonated but not in your face loud and isn't boomy! and def don't sound like them chavved up nova's n crap you see everywhere!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Joe

I spoke to sarah at awesom and she said I couldn't get the unres part for my 2.0.

Do you think It will fit, I do.

Dale

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I had this done to my Oettinger exhaust, not to make it louder but to repair a cracked middle box. Went to powerflow and the results did make it louder (not what i wanted though). It is quite boomy on the motorway which lead me to buy a new jetex exhaust. When i came to fit my new exhaust i found out what a complete mess powerflow did of replacing this box. Instead of welding a piece of shrinked exhaust tubing onto the centre box that would fit nicely into the cat, which is how it should fit. Instead they expanded to tube to fit over the cat pipe and then tig welded all around it! This now makes it a complete nightmare to remove and replace with the new exhaust and because they have welded it to the cat, i might have to get a new cat too! This mod will give you the result you want but i wouldnt recommend it. If you go for it make sure you find a decent place and make sure they fit it properly to your cat. Hope thats of some help.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bluegolf not sure I fancy going through that hassle tbh. Don't want that much trouble with it.

I am looking into getting a new cat and downpipe, I will see if it makes a difference.

any other ideas people

Dale

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It doesnt have to be a lot of trouble Dale and it will give you want you want just make sure you dont go see the bunch of monkeys i did! I would go with the cat and downpipe first and I would also be a little cautious about cutting into my new milltek too.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I will see if I can get a cat and downpipe made up. I can't find anyone who make them for the 2.0l.

I love the sound of the milltek, by adding different manafacturers parts will it affect the sound ( apart from making it louder ).

I was worried about cutting into tbh, I will try the cat and downpipe first, I might have a go at fitting it myself.

Dale

·
Registered
535 Posts
Jetex sell the centre part with or without a silencer, might just do the trick.
Will this bolt straight on to the milltek do you think?

Is it the same grade steel ( T304 )

Cheers for that mate

Dale

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mate,

Is that a cat bypass pipe?

I ideally wanted to keep the cat for MOT reasons. Even though it would give me what I want like you say.

Do you know anyone who do a replacement pipe for the front silencer?

Cheers for that by the way [Y]

Dale

·
Registered
650 Posts
No it's not a cat bypass but a centre section without a resonator .

I have a Jetex sports cat and down pipe with a Jetex full system including the resonator , it's suposed to be a bit quieter than the Miltek, allthough for me I think it's still pretty loud. For me it would probably be too loud without the resonator but maybe i'm just getting too old.[:$]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Surely theres not much to fit one of these is there, Im good with near enough everything on a car but have never tackled the exhaust [:$] Im a bit of an exhaust noob tbh.

Your only as old as you feel mate [;)] but I know what you mean about the exhaust. Its down to personal choice when it comes to the loudness of it.

Thanks for all the help

I may just treat myself to one [:D]

PS. nice car by the way, those wheels are very individual on the MKIV.

Dale

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks mate but make sure you do a bit more homework on the Miltek , bore size etc.

If it's been on the car a while it will be harder than you think to get off . Would be a lot easier if you can get the use of a ramp or pit.

Would be a 10 minute job for any mechanic .

·
Registered
535 Posts
These are the two pipes

Not sure they are going to work as the jetex one has a different end to the milltek one ( see pics ). The end near the cat.

Milltek pipe

Posted Image

Jetex pipe

Posted Image

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Give LONGLIFE a shout Dale

They did my compleat catback system and made a really nice job of it and could probabbly make a center pipe that you can take off and on as you wish with just normal D clamps and VERY littel hassel

http://www.longlife.co.uk/

you can find your local dealer also on the site

Andy

·
Registered
907 Posts
Probably not viable because you'll have to replace it for MOT's or come to some sort of arrangement [;)]. But perhaps decatting could also make that extra bit of difference you're looking for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts