Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i need some help i need to know if the 1.8 20v engine non turbo ( only the bottom end) is the same as the 1.8 20v turbo engine .I only need the bottom end cos i'm going to be puttin foged pistons , rods and a turbo crank in it .this i to save a bit money coz the turbo engine is very expensive to buy and i only need the bottom end .thanks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
As far as I'm aware the bottom end for the 1.8 20V non-turbo is
the same as that of the 150/180 20V turbo's, as with most of the 4 cylinder water cooled VW engines. The 1.8 20V
non-turbo uses pretty much the same large port head as the AGU 1.8T's,
so would be a good choice to use a big port head if you plan on fitting
a bit turbo. I assume you'll be using an aftermarket ecu such as Motech
etc for mapping?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking of going with a uprated k04 turbo i'm looking for around the 350bhp mark so i think it'll be ok for that .ecu well i'm think it's going to be a trip down to jabba sport to get it sorted maybe a full remap will do we'll see.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sounds good mate, will look forward to hearing how you get on.
Just to say though, you will need a much bigger turbo than a K04 to
flow enough air to make 350 flywheel horsepower, thats IHI VF34 on P20
housing teratory. The maximum possible from a K04-023 as fitted
to 210/225 engines is a reliable 280bhp (The compressor side from this
turbo is whats used in most of the 'bolt on' hybrid K04 upgrades
available for the 150/180 engines). You can change the compressor
housing for a larger item such as what HGP motorsport offer and that
may just push the car over the 300bhp barrier. Good luck anyay.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm thinking of going with a uprated k04 turbo i'm looking for around the 350bhp mark so i think it'll be ok for that .ecu well i'm think it's going to be a trip down to jabba sport to get it sorted maybe a full remap will do we'll see.
Dunno if that'll work, your ecu will be missing functions the golf turbo one has, such as MAP (if its a newer engine) and control for the N75. I honestly think it'd be easier just to sell the car and buy a new one.

EDIT: im confused now, is your car a AUM or a non turbo?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my cars a aum vvt drive by wire turbo . so i'll need a ihi turbo , will i be able to bolt my hi flow cat on to that or will it need modin .i was hoping to use my standard ecu ( what power is it good for anyway) thanks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If your car's an AUM then you are better to stick with the standard VAG
management then and just get it mapped by Jabba or the like. Yes
you will be able to use your existing hi-flow cat and downpipe, the
downpipe will just need to be modded slightly to fit onto the the
supplied 3' pipe from the turbo, but that won't be a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers. all i need to do now is build the engine , get a front monuted intercooler , turbo , ecu, and a new job to pay for it all :) .but it'll be worth it when i fu** off a fast ford . long live vw .

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Out of interest, why are you wanting to get another bottom end
etc. Are you planning on building the engine in the garage and
then put it in your car in one go, reducing time off the road?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got it in one mate i'll get the engine all ready exchange my head for a flowed one,and i'm sorted .a quick change over . plus it's somethink to do over the winter .

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Fair enough, look forward to hearing how you get on. Don't know if
you've looked already but you can normally get rods, pistons etc much
cheaper from the States. If your not planning on increasing the
capacity then for the pistons, I would personally just get a set of
pistons from a 210/225 TT/S3 engine as they are essentually Mahle
pistons, so will be good for an easy 400bhp, you could get them ceramic
coated for extra piece of mind and would save some money over regular
forged pistons. The rods and valves tend to be the week points in these
engines anyway.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sounds good mate, will look forward to hearing how you get on. Just to say though, you will need a much bigger turbo than a K04 to flow enough air to make 350 flywheel horsepower, thats IHI VF34 on P20 housing teratory. The maximum possible from a K04-023 as fitted to 210/225 engines is a reliable 280bhp (The compressor side from this turbo is whats used in most of the 'bolt on' hybrid K04 upgrades available for the 150/180 engines). You can change the compressor housing for a larger item such as what HGP motorsport offer and that may just push the car over the 300bhp barrier. Good luck anyay.
Got me thinking now?... would that HGP item work with some of the 04 hybrids that are floating about at the mo? ie AM04, JBS04 and BB04?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i've been told that i can use my standard cams for the power i want is this true . i hope so coz i was looking at ?600 quid for new ones .the list is getting there now (early turbo bottom end and crank with s3/tt pistons and rods , flowed head with uprated valves and spring , gt28 turbo ,g60 flywheel and clutch (paddle) the crank, pistons and rods all lighting balanced ,jabba sport fitler , full exhaust with hi flow cat and a front mounted intercooler) and bob's your uncle hopefully 350 bhp .please let me know if anybodys running the above coz i would love to hear from you and know what power you got . thanks for your help guys

p.s let me know if i forgot some thing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts