Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty sure this has been brought up before.

I have been using the Autoglym polish but it doesn't satisfy. Just run out of the stuff and wondered if there is a better alternative.

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
No, autoglym is about the best your are gonna get. Sorry!

Only kidding [:D]

There is loads of stuff to choose from. Zymol, Meguires, Poorboys,
Klasse... most stuff that you can't pick up in 'high street' stores.
Use www.seriousperformance.co.uk for whatever you need. Excellent
service!

Personally i'd recommend:

Johnsons baby shampoo - maybe Zymol for your first wash to remove all the crap easier but Johnsons after.

Claybar to remove deposits

Clearkote Handglaze

Poorboys Paste Wax or P21S Carnuaba

Search through this forum to see what other people use and the various successes. General gist is, autoglym is pretty poor.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
A claybar is literally a bar of clay (not quite as harsh as it sounds!). You use a bit of lube, I use 50% water, 50% car shampoo and then rub it against the paintwork. It removes 99% of blemishes on your car. For instance, my mate reversed into a painted barrel he couldnt see, which left blue paint on his silver car, he could not get it off, I clay barred it, within 2 secs, it was gone! Great for flies etc.

It does remove everything though, so if you have waxed the ares you have clay barred, you will need to wax again. They last for ages too!

·
Registered
117 Posts
try the meguairs 3 stage stuff for starters which is available from halfords. it may not suit everyones taste but its a good place to start and easy to get a hold of to give u an idea what you achieve.

the problem is once u start using this forum u soon become a cleaning addict.

i know i've become one.

it all started with cheapish meguairs stuff and is currently continuing with more expensive swissol products.(swissol works for me an loving the smells of it all)

joec

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what u mean. Could not resist giving it a good old fashioned bit of TLC earlier. Didn't wax/or polish though [:(]

·
Registered
811 Posts
the meguairs 3 stage stuff is excellent, bit expensive but worth it, i used a clay bar then used stage 1,2,3.. very impressed, but if you dont wanna spend ?7.99 for each bottle then i found turtle wax extreme polishing wax gives a good shine as well..

i dont rate the autoglm stuff.. my boyfriend used it on his black vectra, didnt bring out the shine very well and left polishing swerles.. when i have a spare day and the weathers nice iam gonna treat his vectra to a maguairs session lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you recomend using Stage 1,2 & 3 meguairs of will just 1 do to start with. Sorry if this all sounds all basic to you guy's just never bothered with cleaning my old car. It was only a Corsa that was bright turquoise! some how just didnt seem worth putting the effort in.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Go for the complete 1-2-3 kit and clay bar as well. If you don't want the emgs clay then let me know as I have a few Swissol Paint rubbers in stock ast the moment.

You can probebly do better than ?7.99 online, but then you will also get a P&P charge.

Sugar, ?7.99 is nothing to spend on the car compared to the cost of the car itself and servicing etc....let alone a tank of go-go-juice...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Would you recomend using Stage 1,2 & 3 meguairs of will just 1 do to start with. Sorry if this all sounds all basic to you guy's just never bothered with cleaning my old car. It was only a Corsa that was bright turquoise! some how just didnt seem worth putting the effort in.
well if you only wanna buy one of the meguairs bottles i would suggest stage 3 as its a wax.. stage 1 is a paint cleaner so it'll strip any wax you already have on the car and stage 2 is a polish, which is actually quite good, but using these two you would have to seal it with the wax.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
A claybar is literally a bar of clay (not quite as harsh as it sounds!). You use a bit of lube, I use 50% water, 50% car shampoo and then rub it against the paintwork. It removes 99% of blemishes on your car. For instance, my mate reversed into a painted barrel he couldnt see, which left blue paint on his silver car, he could not get it off, I clay barred it, within 2 secs, it was gone! Great for flies etc.

It does remove everything though, so if you have waxed the ares you have clay barred, you will need to wax again. They last for ages too!
claybars do not remove all wax.........

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
That would depend on the current condition of your paint and what are your expectations of a polish, to clean and enhance or to repair? Do you have photos, from different angles, showing the surface in detail? If you have heavy swirl marks, for instance, you'll need it professionally buffed and repaired. Carlos' photos are a good example of well-maintained silver paintwork, the base colour inherently washes out anything you see reflected in it, that's simply how a clean, waxed silver car looks!

P.S. Definitely give it a full clay bar treatment as soon as possible, you might be surprised at how much brown film crud is removed, revealing a more intense base colour.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts