Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started car as usual this morning, drove about 1/4 mile, rev counter drops to zero, traction control light comes on and oil pressure warning light comes on with message warning"stop! no oil pressure stop motor!" and she just cuts out and breaks down.

switch off and on ignition, traction light still on and it just turns over wont start, repeated this and she started. went a further distance the same happens again i break down with the warning lights back and a truck nearly runs up my ass, proving in these days its dangerous to break down...

pulled over and restarted and runs fine for about a minute and just cuts out. i kept doing this and i noticed the engine ran longer each time before cutting out and by the time it got to 90 on the temp gauge the problem didnt return, i then drove 60 miles and it cut out only once and so far no problem since.

the only thing i can think of was i power washed the engine bay yesterday but was ok on the 20 mile trip home and only came to light this morning, would water have soaked into connectors?

i put vag com on it, no faults on ECU but the instrument cluster registered " no communication, intermittent", that came up everytime it cut out.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep definately not the oil, it seemed like a communication problem between ecu and cluster, according to vag com

·
Registered
685 Posts
Pressure washing an engine such as a VW one can be V BAD! One bit of water can send it into chaos! Get a compresser and give the engine, electrical ports/plugs, wires etc a good blow in order to get rid of any water. Ideally you should have done this straight away & also left the engine to run for about half an hour.

Dont pressure wash it again.

Good luck YOGi

·
Registered
779 Posts
If its any consolation my car has done exactly the same thing.p washed it and it drove ok then lost power and all sorts of lights come on when vw come out they said i must have got water in the ecu. It was a common problem. Anyway my car is in with them now so hopefully should get it back this week-Me thinks i wont be useing the dreaded p washer next time(mkv gt tdi) by the way./ Wouldnt mind i didnt clean the engine or nothing just the outside.Hope you sort it out anyway mate.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Pressure washing a diesel engine once you're not going overboard should not cause problems though.

I did mine with MC2 and put Autoglym engine dressing on it after and it's mint now and I certainly haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Pressure washing a diesel engine once you're not going overboard should not cause problems though.

I did mine with MC2 and put Autoglym engine dressing on it after and it's mint now and I certainly haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I know one member who bolloxed his ecu with over-ambitious pressure washing at a valeters, but for me, i've never had a preblem with either my two tdi's or the mrs' petrol car....and i'm pretty thorough with the old washer.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Every time i use the p/washer i seem to have a problem. This has happened twice and vw said it is a problem on the mkv-never mind no more p.washing

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well my car is now dead, im fairly sure it wasnt the wet, i took out ecu and checked connections and all bone dry.

i have noticed something though, when in break down mode i cant acces the ecu with vagcom, leaving me to believe there is no power to ecu.

i do have a suspect though, i hear the relay 109 can give problems, when i did get it to run i pulled the relay out and the car gave the exact symptoms, so i reckon a likely suspect, will know tomorrow when i try the one of my fathers PD passat.

anyone else come accross this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your car requires a voltage supply relay for the engine ecu. If you drop the lower dash trims on the drivers side you will find the relay plate. All the relays have large numbers facing you ,the relay you are looking for has 109 on the back and costs about ?15. The suffer from dry solder joints that crack and become open circuit intermittantly (it's a heat thing). It loggs no engine fault because the ecu just hasn't been switched on to log a fault,but because everything else is on they can record no communication faults. The oil pressure warning sounds when it cuts out because the dash insert is still recieving road speed signal but the engine has died so no oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
checked the relay, had it out, checked contacts on it and it seems to pull in ok on ignition. my father towed me to the stealer this morning and they rang me and they are convinced my ECU has died, will know for sure tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
checked the relay, had it out, checked contacts on it and it seems to pull in ok on ignition. my father towed me to the stealer this morning and they rang me and they are convinced my ECU has died, will know for sure tomorrow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote: posted by micky 32 on 29/03/2005 23:33:07

listen to raven blue and buy a new relay, its ?15, not alot considering you paying ?80 an hour for a vw tech to look over what youve allready been told above for free

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorted, i took the ECU apart and the chip was soldered badly which i was totally surprised, i found 3 legs loose, got out my soldering iron and soldered every leg carefully and she went first turn!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts