Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B******s. Today I set about delocking both front doors of my golf. I made a lovely job of painting the caps indigo blue and managed to get out the lokcs from the door with no bother. I put the passenger one in with no problems but the driver's side proved a little more difficult. It wouldn't go in all the way so I tried to force it in beecause I'm a t*t. So guess what happened.....the locking mechanism which moves into place when you turn the screw at the side of the door FELL INTO THE FRIEKIN DOOR. This meant that the new cap and cover could not be secured in place. In haste, I have superglued the cap into position but it doesn't look flush. Any idea how easy it is to retrieve the locking mechanism? To add insult to injury, I tried removing excess glue from the cap with some meths but that removed some of the paint from the cap. What a t*t!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not really too difficult but you will probably need to take the door panel off to retrieve it.   How to do this has been covered under replacement of the clips which hold the window regulator mechanism (and fail) so if you do a search on the forums you should find a link to the guide - I think it was on the Vortex site.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
sorry to say this but it is a big job i tried and ended up giving in luckly i managed to con the dealer in to doing it under warranty

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is exactly what happened to me!

Did the drivers side in two minutes and then went to do the passenger side. Took the lock out and inserted the new black barrel then the brass coloured circlip thingy what holds it all in fell into the door. Right into the corner of the door!!!

I then had to strip the door right down to try and retrieve it with a magnetic rod - no luck as it was getting wedged on a narrower part.

In the end, I had to cut (yes cut) the drain hole at the bottom of the door with a dremmel to make it big enough so I could peel back the metal and get the part out. After that I straighted the inch square piece of metal I'd cut and siliconed it all back together. Its all hidden under the rubber strip at the bottom of the door so it can't be seen.

Getting it back in is just as much of a pain! Finding out where it sits on the lock and which way around took me 30 minutes and make sure you have a decent torch.

Probably took me a good 8 hours from start to finish as I really didn't know how to retrieve it or to re-assemble it - not a job I would want to do again. I really feel for you!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that gt150tdi. Did you put the brass coloured circlip bit back in through the lock hole on the door? I wonder if you can buy this bit from a stealer and save myself the hassle of trying to retrieve the old bit. Any ideas folks? I also dropped the metal disk into the door but I found that a 1 cent (euro) piece fits perfectly.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Same thing happened to me, the C shape brass clip dropped into the door.

I managed to get it back once I had removed the door cards. I spent
about an hour of working out exactly how it slides back into the
mechanism (you need 3 hands) another couple of hours of trying to get
it back on (about 20 attempts)....which is VERY fiddely to I finally
managed it.....I was very releaved.

Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The clip needs to be fitted from inside the door as its way too big to be fitted through the lock hole. Even if you could there's no way you could get it into place.

I'd also be fairly sure that if you got this one out (or get a new one) that while attempting to put it all back together you drop it again - I did several times as its well fiddly.

I'd guess you can buy the clip from the dealer but would you be able to put up with the rattle inside the door??? It would drive me insane!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yea I did this too. But I took the easy way out.

if that ring drops out your F$?"$"D!!!

the ring attaches to a piece called a 'carrier' which handles all the mechanism for the lock barrells and the handle. this whole piece costs about less than ?20. and is held in with one screw once you strip the door down.

so i suggest just buy this 'carrier' and replace it with out other one. can be done in about an hour maybe less.

well that how i did it anyway. no cutting up my car or throwing magnets around :p

·
Registered
487 Posts
which piece? the ring or the whole new carrier?

if its the ring....then you've got a long job ahead of you. but you could just go and buy a new carrier, see how the ring fits back into the carrier, and then just return the one that you bought.

if its the carrier...then you just need to strip your door, you take off the door card, then remove the metal plate, and then from there you can undo the screww which holds the old carrier and replace it with the new one. theres instructions for door card removal on here somewhere.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm waiting to delock mine, just waiting for paint.

I thought it was a simple job of removing the barrel etc, according to variuos articles and posts i've read.

No mention of any clips, falling in or otherwise!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is a simple job really unless you try and force it in like I did. If you need to force it in, it probably means that the screw needs to be loosened a little more.It should push in snugly.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I watched the other half put his delocks in the other night....both doors done in 5 mins...sorted!! Just took out barrel and replaced etc did not have any messing about with clips or anything.....Job done!

Gonna do mine the weekend hope its that easy!

[:D]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I watched the other half put his delocks in the other night....both doors done in 5 mins...sorted!! Just took out barrel and replaced etc did not have any messing about with clips or anything.....Job done!

Gonna do mine the weekend hope its that easy!

[:D]
This problem only arises if the screw isn't screwed out to the correct position then the new lock barrel seems to push the clip off.

NOTE: DO NOT FORCE THE DUMMY LOCK IN.

Instread adjust the screw.

·
Registered
122 Posts
which piece? the ring or the whole new carrier?

if its the ring....then you've got a long job ahead of you. but you could just go and buy a new carrier, see how the ring fits back into the carrier, and then just return the one that you bought.

if its the carrier...then you just need to strip your door, you take off the door card, then remove the metal plate, and then from there you can undo the screww which holds the old carrier and replace it with the new one. theres instructions for door card removal on here somewhere.
Digs up an old thread .. where is the carrier, I need to get this clip back on asap!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
hi mate,

The carrier is probabaly the furthest part from the inside of the door!! so you'd have to take your whole door apart just to access it! or you can just leave a few bits in and get ur hands round em like the windows.

anyway the carrier holds in the handle so its on the other side of the metal that your handle is sticking out from! (i.e. door)

hope it helped mate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts