Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Delays and precautions are better than being blown up when in a plane which is flying though to be honest. Bummer it is the day before I fly to Tenerife though....[ap][ip]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Aye, flying may well be statistically one of, if not the safest method of transport, but when you're 30,000 feet in the air and something goes wrong, you're really, really stuffed - and the more people you cram onto a single plane, what with these ridiculous super, super jumbo aircraft being made, the security risks are multiplied big time.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It seems like all my scheming will now come to nothing. I had engineered meetings in our Amsterdam office for tomorrow morning and Monday morning, thus getting a free weekend in the Dam fully expensed and paid for by the company [:(]

Anyway it looks like I won't be flying out this evening and neither will 1000's of others since all inbound flights to the UK have been grounded unless already in the air. So in effect GB PLC is completely closed for business today.

To be perfectly honest though, although I don't have the facts I suspect that this is a massive, knee-jerk over-reaction by the government. Its easy for some Whitehall politico to say "No Hand luggage" but the ramifications and sheer complexity of the overnight ban means that the civilian authorities themselves e.g. BAA, British Airways, EasyJet etc.. have been swamped and I've just heard that BAA baggage handlers have walked out in protest. Its likely to be bedlam out there.

C

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anyway it looks like I won't be flying out this evening and neither will 1000's of others since all inbound flights to the UK have been grounded unless already in the air. So in effect GB PLC is completely closed for business today.
It's only Heathrow that has closed to incoming flights due to the sheer numbers of aircraft and what I imagine is a very tight runway schedule, other airports around the country are still open with aircraft arriving and departing, allbeit with delays and as you put it bedlam.

They are x-raying everybod's shoes, carrying out full pat downs/searches and I imagine the customer facing staff are getting a lot of grief from people who cannot possibly travel without therir handluggage. I'm very gald I don't work in an airport today!.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I cannot believe the over reaction of some people to a difficult situation.

Would you rather be delayed for six hours due to stricter security searches and alive ?

or not delayed at all but potentially blown up mid flight due to a bomb ?

I mean can people not see the bigger picture here ? I'm not talking about anyone on here, just what I heard on radio one this morning. It never fails to surprise me in times like these of peoples inability to see beyond the end of their noses !

I'd rather be delayed for hours and hours and have a good flight without wondering "what if" etc.

Maybe it is an over reaction, but i'm sure even our incompetent government wouldn't call in such drastic measures without good reason.

Also, it's not forever, maybe just a few weeks ! As my mate said at work this morning "Build a bridge and get over it !" [:D] Ya still going on ya precious holiday, ya may just have to wait a bit longer! No one is so busy or so important that they can't wait.

To reiterate, i'm not referring to anyone on here at all, just what I heard on radio one this morning of people complaining about the delays. Ok, it sucks, but it's not forever.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems like all my scheming will now come to nothing. I had engineered meetings in our Amsterdam office for tomorrow morning and Monday morning, thus getting a free weekend in the Dam fully expensed and paid for by the company [:(]

C
Could you hire a car and drive out via a ferry etc ??

·
Registered
495 Posts

C
I was thinking Eurostar to Paris and then a highspeed train to Amsterdam but its a lot of travelling and on the return leg it will be coming out of my own personal time. Also if I am being completely honest the meetings are not so important that they cannot be re-scheduled.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

C
It's about 3 hrs from Calais, Carlos, or do the Eurostar, there is a 'Thalys' train that goes direct from Brussels 'Gare du Midi' to Amsterdam.

HTH a lil bit. [:D]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

C
I was thinking Eurostar to Paris and then a highspeed train to Amsterdam but its a lot of travelling and on the return leg it will be coming out of my own personal time. Also if I am being completely honest the meetings are not so important that they cannot be re-scheduled.
Weird we were typing the same thing at the same time ! [:O] [:D] Go to Brussels, less travelling onwards to the "'Dam" then ! [:)]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Clarification on Heathrow - All incoming shorthaul flights not already in the air have been cancelled until 3pm.

Also on the radio, apparently the terrorist plan was to set off bombs in hand luggage on up to 10 transatlantic flights!![:O]

·
Registered
495 Posts

Would you rather be delayed for six hours due to stricter security searches and alive ?

I mean can people not see the bigger picture here ? I'm not talking about anyone on here, just what I heard on radio one this morning. It never fails to surprise me in times like these of peoples inability to see beyond the end of their noses !

I'd rather be delayed for hours and hours and have a good flight without wondering "what if" etc.

Maybe it is an over reaction, but i'm sure even our incompetent government wouldn't call in such drastic measures without good reason.

Also, it's not forever, maybe just a few weeks ! As my mate said at work this morning "Build a bridge and get over it !" [:D] Ya still going on ya precious holiday, ya may just have to wait a bit longer! No one is so busy or so important that they can't wait.

To reiterate, i'm not referring to anyone on here at all, just what I heard on radio one this morning of people complaining about the delays. Ok, it sucks, but it's not forever.
I hear you Dan, and please don't think I'm puffing myself up with self importance. But after many false alarms you kind of feel that this could be yet another and that the reaction by the government could be making a bad situation even worse. We already have at least one if not two xray hand-baggage checks and security post-9/11 is as tight as its ever been.

But the other two things which don't ring true are.. 1) If someone could do this today, what does it say for security at BAA airports for the last 5 years and 2) If someone would pack explosives into hand luggage, what's to stop them checking it into the hold?? The old paradigm used to assume that no conventional terrorist would check in a bomb because they would have to travel with it and thus get blown up, but now we have an established culture of the suicide bomber.

C

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If they was planning somat,they shoould be locked up and the key thrown away.Just remember,these are inocent civilians they are trying to blow up regardless of race or reiligion. 

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Cluke + Jace ...... Made me smile on a dull day at work.

It should stop a lot of stuff entering the UK that doesnt usually get picked up by customs, So its not all bad.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

I hear you Dan, and please don't think I'm puffing myself up with self importance. But after many false alarms you kind of feel that this could be yet another and that the reaction by the government could be making a bad situation even worse. We already have at least one if not two xray hand-baggage checks and security post-9/11 is as tight as its ever been.

But the other two things which don't ring true are.. 1) If someone could do this today, what does it say for security at BAA airports for the last 5 years and 2) If someone would pack explosives into hand luggage, what's to stop them checking it into the hold?? The old paradigm used to assume that no conventional terrorist would check in a bomb because they would have to travel with it and thus get blown up, but now we have an established culture of the suicide bomber.

C
Carlos I wasn't referring to anyone on here and I certainly don't think you'd act like that re self importance etc.

I totally agree with your two points you have mentioned.

It's like those adverts that say "our best ever washing powder !" so, err, what was it like before then ? a silly example, I agree, but I think you can see my point !

Indeed, I saw a documentary on those bomb proof luggage hold containers a few years back that could contain a suitcase sized bomb. I bet they stil lain't in use today. The suicide bomber just doesn't care.

When we travelled to Vegas in May 04, the security on that side of the pond was noticeably tighter than it is here. Had to take my shoes off, eaverything was searched before you were allowed on a plane.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It ain't rocket science: Planes should not carry any luggage and all passengers should board stark naked and be strapped into individual, locked, sealed, lead-lined, bomb-proof cells with precisely metered drip feeds and oxygen (FSI?). No problemo [Y]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It's like those adverts that say "our best ever washing powder !" so, err, what was it like before then ? a silly example, I agree, but I think you can see my point !
Ditto that with Microsoft! I've just thrown away a Windows NT brochure which explains how much more reliable it is than Windows 98... Er, so is that an admission of selling crap?!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts