Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - my 1.8 GTi developed a splutter a little while back and was undrivable. I tracked down a cracked pipe and after replacing it still had issues. Following advice here (link at end of post) I unplugged the MAF sensor. This cured the problem but instantly turned on the engine management light and traction control light on the dashboard not too surprisingly. The car is lovely to drive but to get it through it's MOT I need to fix the problem thus removing the lights ( I have a VAG Com reader only so can reset lights and read codes). So my question is this - what was wrong? Do I need to replace the MAF Sensor (in which case does anyone know the part number as I can't track it down) or does it just need a really good clean?

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/384185/2620095.aspx#2620095

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need new MAF sensor mate you can get them from most places like europarts or gsf not just VW
Hi - thanks for info and more importantly pointers for where to get a cheap MAF sensor. Picked one up from GSF who happened to have a branch right by me for £45 including vat. Fitted and car now works perfectly without warning lights :) . Time for a pizza to celebrate!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts