Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this but hope I don't sound too stupid :) I'm getting a machine polisher and it comes with different pads, what's the difference between the coarse and soft pads? When would I use what?

Any help would be great, chris

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
what are the make of pads and what machine you getting. if your a noob do not get an orbital polisher. coarse pads will have a greater cut than softer pads. with the polish and pad combo, always start with the least cut and work your way up.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
The softer pads are for finishing, the coarse for more abrasive work. I've got a linky somewhere that will help you out

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, makes more sense now :)

Not sure on the model think it's called a kestrel, or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
It sounds like you might have bought the same as me - Kestrel DAS-6?

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
It's the DA one that you'll need to read up on if you've bought the DAS-6. Happy reading!

·
Registered
158 Posts
+10 points to Dave who is on fire :D Also thanks for the Linky I got a DAS 6 myself at xmas but not busting it out till the weather improves.

·
Registered
764 Posts
With your car being black, you'll need a really soft pad to finish the polishing, I can't remember what the stuff we've been using to finish (Had some work in a car repair/painting garage) as without it the black just goes swirly as hell.

You probably know already but just in case, keep the pad nice and moist when polishing, use a bit too much to begin with just so you know how much water to use (Use a spray bottle) so you don't burn through the paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts