Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have test drive booked for 10.30am tomorrow in an M3.

Its an 02 plate Coupe in Estoril Blue with Ecru leather - Sat Nav, TV and all the toys !!![:D][:D]

The only thing is it has the 18" wheels not the 19's.

I will let you know how I get on ?

Anyone got any thoughts on the spec / colour etc ??

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by CarlT

Anyone got any thoughts on the spec / colour etc ??
Posted Image

[;)] Estoril is special order ('Individual' Program) so its rare and looks great; same as on the old E36. This picture doesnt do the car justice, but then you know that. [;)]

Posted Image

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had that test drive today..... TBH the M3 is not that quicker than the '32 but it is a completely different car to drive.

If I can get a good price for my car then I think I will be changing.

The Full spec of the car I drove and am interested in is :

Reg: 24/04/02, 11000 miles.

Special order Estoril Blue, Ecru soft nappa leather, Sat Nav / TV, Black carbon fibre effect internal trim, electric mirrors, Grad Tint screen, tinted windows, Front Arm rest, heated seats, Phone kit, 6 CD multi changer, Harman Kardon Hi-Fi. This cost over £48k a year ago.

Sorry dont have any pics - What do you reckon buy it or keep the '32. !!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The colour is stunning, definately a bonus. To anyone, an M3 is gonna be preferable over ANY Golf... full stop.

So, you say the M3 cost £48k.. how much is it going for now if i may ask? I suppose the thing to take into account with cars that expensive is how much money they lose... i wouldve thought M3 will be a better prospect on that basis than an R32... RS4 prices are still pretty rock solid for example.

·
Registered
730 Posts
my mate at work has just got himself an 96 N reg 3.2 ltr M3 EVO in estoril blue, and he says it's fantastic he loves it, this is a 7 year old car and he says it runs rings around my chipped 1.8T, the Removed.

After seeing Estoril blue in the flesh i have to say it is the best shade of blue i've ever seen on a car.

Road testers say the The latest M3 has great handling and speed, and is a brilliant track day tool.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Don;t get the 19"s, they kill the ride and the handling, as the saying goes if it was designed to run on 19"s it would have got them as standard from the factory.

My favourite thing about the new M3 is the way you can adjust the seats to hug your upper body by just pressing a button.

J.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Is it Chris I think you will find I for one disagree

quote:

Originally posted by Chris

The colour is stunning, definately a bonus. To anyone, an M3 is gonna be preferable over ANY Golf... full stop.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Don;t you just love forums, you could post that white was white and someone else will come along and post that what is actually black.

So now some nerd is going to say that white is actually black but you get what I mean [:)]

J.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by marriedblonde

Don;t you just love forums, you could post that white was white and someone else will come along and post that what is actually black. So now some nerd is going to say that white is actually black but you get what I mean [:)]
Your right...maybe we should have a poll! [;)]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Im intruiged too... i didnt mean to start a war or anything, but i was pretty certain that anybody would choose a current M3 over a Golf.... i wouldnt even need to think about it!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I would certainly choose an R32 over an M3 if I had the money I would not buy a BMW, I just dont like them inside outside any side at all.

This is just my opinion all I am saying is that I am not a BMW fan, its like a lot of people dont like saxo's for example, we all have are like's and dislikes mine are BMW's and Fords (apart from the GT40) thats all [^]

·
Registered
837 Posts
I really do love the exterior looks of the M3 but I really don't like BMW interiors - especially the instrument binnacles - they look too small. Maybe i'm weird.

Think i'd have to drive both in order to choose but it's a case of brain says "M3", heart says "R32".

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Hmmmm, head say new, M3 heart says new M3 wallet says buy a push bike. I really should have listened to my father when he said don't get married....

Perhaps I am biased as I am not the biggest fan of the R32, in fact the only one I have like the look of is M1K Vw's silver one.

The BMW is compared to the porsche 911 for speed, ability etc as an alternative if you need 4 seats. I can't recall anyone ever comparing the r32 to one. Don't get me wrong I am sure that the r32 is a very good car but it's not that good! I love my Golf but I realise that compared to something like a 330 coupe it's not that brilliant.

Bmw's do have a certain stigma attached to them and perhaps the biggest mistake BMW made was making a BMW for the people - the 3 series. Now every sales rep and his mother seem to drive them, but theres no denying BMW do make very good cars. But if you drive a sporting 3 series you we see why they get so much praise steeped on them, they are very good drivers car.

J.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I personally don't like BMWs because they're just too common. For a 40-50 grand sports car the M3 is a lovely machine but then again i've seen too many BMs on the road, and for that money i'd have a Porsche. BMWs are really common and yes, this is testament to their build quality and drive, but around some parts of London they're also rude-boy's cars and I don't really want to be associated with that. And also the yuppie arrogant element which you still get with BMs, not that it bothers me much.

I'd have an R32 for the fact that they're a lot rarer and i've not seen one in the streets since they came out. I've only seen them at shows. If you want a track toy with the money you pay for an M3 you could buy an R32 and a Caterham.

Just my 2p [:D]

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Marriedblonde.

the quote below may be true but never have I seen the M3 beat the 911 for any of the key qualities that you would look for in these types of cars, I admit that the CSL may do so when it is released give the porker a run for its money but it has been comented that the porker has much better road holding etc than the BMW 3 series there is only so much you can do with the chassis, whilst keeping it within EU regulations.

quote:

The BMW is compared to the porsche 911 for speed, ability etc
I am a little confused why you keep coamparing the two cars as well as they are not in the same bracket for comparison for anything but the engine size never did I or anyone else say the R32 is a better car its is just for some including myself the prefered car [:D]

As always IMO [:D]

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
off topic a little, but last night i saw a brand new 7series broken down, what made it beter is that he was doing a 3 point turn and ended up blocking the road, he also never had the sense to push it out the way nor would he let anyone help him!!

i went past in my 1962 splitty and smilled!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts