Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow MKIV'ers

I thought it about time to make some posts having been an avid reader and lurker on this forum for quite a while.
I was registered at the outset, but for some reason my account was killed so I sort of lost interest.

Having not much love for the MKIV when it first came out, I found myself falling in love with the R32 at the 2002 October Motor Show - I placed an order there and then!

I do constantly ask myself why I still have the car though, I've had no end of problems:

Rattles...... loads of them
Coil Pack fault - I actually had an engine fire!!
Leaking Fuel Tank - Seal broke on inspection hatch under rear seats.
Wiring fault: - Loom chaffed on spot weld causing numerous electrical related faults.
- Did I mention the rattles?

So far we've had our ups and downs, and I don't look back at it in the same way as my Corrado when I lock it up... but I'm still in love!
Anyway I've bitten the bullet and decided to go turbo, so over a month ago I ordered EIP's single turbo kit and egarly await it's arrival.

I intend to document the installation procedure and fabrication required on this forum when I tackle the install.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
so over a month ago I ordered EIP's single turbo kit and egarly await it's arrival.

I intend to document the installation procedure and fabrication required on this forum when I tackle the install.
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like an interesting project, keep us up to date if you are able to.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Hello [:D] Can't wait to see the results of the turbo!! Seems quite a few people are jumping on the super/turbocharger wagon at the mo. I'd love to do it to mine, but for insurance reasons it's probably best to wait till I'm 30[:(]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would this make the first Turbo'd R32 in the UK? as far as I'm aware it will be
No, VagTech already have a demonstrator that is turbo'd - But they've used the HPA/HGP turbo kit. I drove this car earlier in the summer and it sort of made my mind up for going down the turbo route instead of the supercharger. (I've already got a Vortech charged Corrado).
As far as I'm aware mine is the first EIP kit supplied for a RHD UK car and will require some fabrication and development to get installed - a process I'm going to tackle myself with the help of some engineering skilled friends.

This is the kit I'm getting: http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/r32_turbo_systems_01.html

I intend to post pictures and a diary during the install so look out for the thread.

Thanks for the words of welcome, already found this forum to be a valuable source of information.
I was actually sporting UKMKIV's stickers when my R32 was spotted at Woerthersee this year... and several locals asked what the site was!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hey! An awesome and enviable project [:)]

Do you have to modify many internals to suit the turbo? Cams,
compression ratio etc? I guess it depends on what boost you are
planning on running? However much, you've sure got the right drivetrain
for it!

I can't wait to see it all documented [:)]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey! An awesome and enviable project [:)]

Do you have to modify many internals to suit the turbo? Cams, compression ratio etc? I guess it depends on what boost you are planning on running? However much, you've sure got the right drivetrain for it!
I can't wait to see it all documented [:)]
Not for the stage one I don't at only 5psi but according to the EIP press she'll be good for at least 378bhp.
I've already reverted my Schrick cams back to OEM in anticipation of getting the kit installed.
Stage 1 is designed for a standard car internals, it's likely I'll be lowering the compression fairly soon after installing it though ;-)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you aware of the issues EIP are currently having with their US customer cars where the CEL is permanently illuminated?

Software version 1 gives excellent performance but the CEL is permanently illuminated

Software version 2 fixes the CEL bug but gives lower performance figures

Upcoming Software version 3 solves the CEL issue and retains awesome performance but has not yet been released.

Bear in mind this is all on the LHD US R32s, EIP havent even begun to
look into the possibilities of a RHD R32 because they are still sorting
out the LHD kit.

Have you spoken to [email protected] EIP directly concerning the supply of the kit
or did you just buy it online as they are no longer selling any kits by
mail order. They have been experiencing some issues with
their distributors who were not installing the kit
correctly.see
here

As a result of this, EIP are insisting on installing any kits at their headquarters iirc.

EIP supply awesome pieces of kit for a wide variety of cars but many US
folks have encountered awful supply problems. An order will be
placed and in one instance, a guy has been waiting around 6 months for
his turbo kit.

IIRC the only difference between the RHD and LHD turbo kit is the
steering column whereby the downpipe will need reshaping/refabricating
to fit. If thats the case then it shouldnt be long before the kit
is installed once you have it on your doorstep.

Good luck and I cant wait to see some pics of the install.

·
Registered
639 Posts
And no-one has mentioned that he has...*drool*...BBS LM's on his R? One of the best wheels ever made IMO. Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the conversion.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Like the R doesn't sound nice enough without adding a turbo!! [:p]

Will be nice to see how the conversion comes along though. Make sure you keep us posted!...

And welcome to the forum! [Y]

·
Registered
42 Posts
From a newb myself, welcome! A local dubber here in our club has the VF
stage 2 supercharger R32 kit on his R and the thing is a beast. I don't
think he's had any issues with it so might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
hi guy

how strange that 2 owners of the most modded corrados in the uk both run amd tuned r32's too!

how much are you asking for the schricks? pm me!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts