Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone out there has done this yet? I see you can get kits for around 2k, and depending on the miles you're doing, it can be a cost effective investment, plus you're helping the planet, too [:D]

I keep seeing 4motion Bora's going for silly money on Ebay/'trader - is it worthwhile looking into this a little more??

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
yes its worthwhile (so long as Gordon doesnt up the duty) a few good
ones have gone on trader.... howevere you need to making lots of 10
mile plus journeys as you neeed to start on petrol.... then
switch after 1 mile or so...

also you need the
modern multipoint lpg systems which inject timed gas as per the petrol
injection,, and thalso have an ecu to time injectors.. the reason is
that a traditional lpg setup on a rangerover with a carb uses a venturi
which mixes gas with air suffers from backfires... and this is not good
with a car that has a plastic manifold... budget 2k for a
multipoint fitted... or 1k self fitted and then checked and setup by a
profesional...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I can imagine its bloody difficult to find a decent LPG converter. I have NEVER seen a decent aftermarket fitted kit.

Seen hoses dangling down by exhaust manifold, major smell of gas under bonnet, unsealed drilled holes into inlet manifold.

If you ask me you are looking for trouble. Buy the car with LPG from factory.

Virtually every car with these kits suffer running / misfire problems plus the added danger of badly fitted kits.

This is just my opinion from seeing about 100 converted Bmws

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I can imagine its bloody difficult to find a decent LPG converter. I have NEVER seen a decent aftermarket fitted kit.

Seen hoses dangling down by exhaust manifold, major smell of gas under bonnet, unsealed drilled holes into inlet manifold.

If you ask me you are looking for trouble. Buy the car with LPG from factory.

Virtually every car with these kits suffer running / misfire problems plus the added danger of badly fitted kits.

This is just my opinion from seeing about 100 converted Bmws
bet every single BMW has had the venturi types fitted hence misfires and easy diy fit... get a multi point ijection system and test drive ... first

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Im not saying LPG is bad. I just wouldnt risk having a dodgy fitted kit. let alone paying for it.

Think i have seen the multi point ones, , they hack into each injector loom? not sure how it works tbh

What sort of price differance you looking from a venturi to a multipoint?

Id like to learn more about the systems but we try to avoid them at work, as they are just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
the injectors hacks are so its firing and it pulses gas into the right cylinder as per the injectors,,, ie it copies the normal ecu, .. the difference iin price is about a grand between diy fit and pro fit,, also mutipoint requires rolling roading to be mapped properly.... veturi just mixes gas vapour with air somewhere near the maf , reallly poor compared ot multipoint... do a google and also check google groups.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know its not a VW but I a guy I know has had his Rover 620 Turbo converted using the older, single point injection / venturi style kit and has never had any problems with it, its now done over 100 thousand miles with the gas installed, the car having done just over 200 thousand miles (on the original turbo too [:O]).

He also has a 4.summat litre S-Type Jag which he has also had converted to gas but with the multipoint injection setup and has not had any problems with that either, think it cost him 2500 squid. I thought about doing this to my car since I do 120+ miles a day but I have decided to get a cheap diesel run around instead and run it on bio-diesel.

Chris

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I know its not a VW but I a guy I know has had his Rover 620 Turbo converted using the older, single point injection / venturi style kit and has never had any problems with it, its now done over 100 thousand miles with the gas installed, the car having done just over 200 thousand miles (on the original turbo too [:O]).

He also has a 4.summat litre S-Type Jag which he has also had converted to gas but with the multipoint injection setup and has not had any problems with that either, think it cost him 2500 squid. I thought about doing this to my car since I do 120+ miles a day but I have decided to get a cheap diesel run around instead and run it on bio-diesel.

Chris
Venturi types arent bad on all cars .. there just not great on very modern engines with plastic manifolds.....

Do it Mark... Supercharged LPG Gora 4motion...... That would be unique

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Chris
Yum, Rover [:D]

Re. Bio - I've run it a few times in my 620 SDI and found it to be less fuel efficient than normal derv, it actually worked out I was getting 100 miles less per tank with Bio than I was with Diesel - so it actually didn't work out any cheaper. Mixing 50/50 also worked out costing the same. Stick with normal diesel in a old banger - worked for me the past 18 months!

Andy / Troll - thanks for the info, I've not noticed any 4mo's with LPG already fitted going on 'Trader but I will keep my eyes out. Is it worth going for the later or earlier model 4 motions btw?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Mark this guy on the vrotex has lpg'ed his Phaeton... he is uk based so it may be worthwhil contacting him finding out about any issues or to see how much he has saved ..

bear in mind that an lpg conversion will cost £2000 and fuel is half the price and your MPG will be less on LPG so it may well take 3 years to even break even

·
Registered
895 Posts
I keep hearing from people that LPG is like a potential time bomb as opposed to having normal petrol/diesel in the tank. Can someone shed some light on this 'myth'?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,

just like to say my Bora 4Motion is converted to gas, i had this done through GreenFuel.org.uk for 2k. This was done last year when the car had only done about 30k now it's done 70k and still smooth as ever! But i have to say it's not quite as responsive on gas, but sound of V6 still there!! [:D]

anymore info let me know....

Michael

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Heres a nice one... sports trim in black leather and the uber rare alcantara.... and the rare as hens teeth long beach alloys

Clicky

Mark how many Miles do you do per annum TOTAL... Ie add up what Jalopy and the Anni have done... also are you likely to do any road trips in the next few years maybe to france or spain? pop the figures on here and Ill use My average MPG to calculate how long it would take for it to be worth spending 2k on an LPG kit...

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

just like to say my Bora 4Motion is converted to gas, i had this done through GreenFuel.org.uk for 2k. This was done last year when the car had only done about 30k now it's done 70k and still smooth as ever! But i have to say it's not quite as responsive on gas, but sound of V6 still there!! [:D]

anymore info let me know....

Michael
Yes please more info would be great [Y]

Andy - I do around 15 per year, would probably travel more if I had the cost savings.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
My 4motion only averages 22mpg and 24mpg on a run, with 18s fitted... add 2 mpg to those figures if I use the 16 inch brands hatches with the marble like Michelin tyres... I am going to assume you will not run the standard 16's and will run 17's or 18's of some description....

So assume and average of 23 MPG and 15k per annum the current average price for LPG is 42p per litre and Unleaded is 90p per litre

so 15k per annum @ 23 mpg = 652 gallons

1 litre = 0.219969157 Imperial gallon

652 gallons / 0.219969157 = 2964 litres

so unleaded will cost 2964x0.9= £2667

assuming a modern multipoint lpg will get the same mpg

LPG will cost 2964x0.42= £1244.88

SO a saving of £1423 per annum

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, when i 1st got the 4motion i was in love! but once i brought it MikeDav in southampton i filled a full tank which cost me around £55 (ALOT!!) and drove up to leicester (around 200miles) at a nice speed 70-75mhp and when i got home it was already nearing red. I was not impressed but already kinda knew that but it averaged 30mpg. so i looked for alternatives and it was gas, so googled it and greenfuel.org.uk for my car is said roughly this:

Vehicle:Volkswagen Bora 2.8 V6 4Motion Saloon 4d 2792cc
LPG SystemGreenfuel (71293)
TankToroidal
Cost of Conversion£1,900.00 + VAT
Net Cost of Conversion£2,232.50 inc VAT
Petrol Spend PA£4,474.50 per year
LPG Spend PA£2,610.12 per year
Saving PA£1,864.37 per year
Return on Investment84%
CO2 Saving2.35 Tonnes
Approved by top 20
insurance companies
Yes

BUT back then it was 101% Return on Investment because of petrol prices on the rise (over a year now). so far i've already driven over 25k miles and not let me down once apart from a slight gas leak! [;)]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yes and no on the fuel consumption from what I have read the newer multipoint systems are as economical as petrol, that's why I didn't account for it... however it is assuming you run it on gas all the time, and this inst really possible, as the engine will want to start on petrol till its warm...

either way there are many variables, the biggest being Miles per annum, at your current mileage it will take 18 months for saviings to roll in, but say you did a 2-3k continental road trip (worthersee maybe!) payback will be much sooner..... but hey who knows what petrol prices will do, if they go to 102 a liter again then ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts