Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin to lower the 20vT on just a set of springs at the moment, tight
budget. was going to go for eibach, but how low before im having to
change the arb? Got 8x18 wheels if that makes any difference. ADVICE
APPRECIATED!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
think it depends on the yr of the car cause i think they slightly changed it at some point. i had mine -40mm on springs on 18s and it was fine but the ride is pretty awful. bouncy as hell.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i used h+r springs but mine is 2001 so i would try and find out wen they changed the design cause i think it may have been in like 2000. hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi,ive got a gti turbo 99 agu just fitted a set of 40mm koni springs only with 19 inch rs4s and the rides ok no rubbing or knocking go 4 it m8

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
What you have to remember with cars of this age , is that the shockers could have gone.

You should be looking at replacing the shockers with the springs.

I would say around 40 - 60k miles the shockers are past it.

I know that some of you are on a budget , but you have to remove the shockers to fit the springs , so it is the same time to replace both as it is for the springs.Then there is the geo set up afterwards if you have any work done on the front of the car.

Be wary that when you fit springs alone it will take more out of your shockers anyway

Sarah

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi,ive got a gti turbo 99 agu just fitted a set of
40mm koni springs only with 19 inch rs4s and the rides ok no rubbing or
knocking go 4 it m8
Do you know how wide the wheels are mate?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point Sarah, had a look at the koni sport kit, any ideas if its
any good cos i could maybe stretch the bank balance that far[:D]

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi

Yes the Koni kit is very good.

We have sold loads of these and are prooving to be excellent with good value for money.

But then we do have a budget kit too.

These are the Apex ones.Not as good as Koni , but then better than OEM but not a fortune for the kit.

These retail for ?193.00 + VAT

My money would be with Koni , but at least you have a choice

Sarah

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hello Sarah,

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little but how much would it be to lower a 1.4 35mm, parts and labour?
Whats the price difference between the koni and the apex? I'm looking to get some 18" wheels but will obviously need to have it lowered to avoid the 4x4 look but on a budget.

Many thanks

Tom

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi Tom

Hijack away

Apex as quoted for the springs and shockers are ?193.00+ VAT and will lower 35mm and the Koni ones are ?305.00 + VAT and will lower the same amount.

We charge ?167.50 + VAT for the fitting of these and that includes the geo set up after the fitting of the kit.

Hope that helps you

Sarah

·
Registered
668 Posts
Oh dear, looks like i'll be rolling on the 15s for many months to come then.
Will start saving now! Hopefully the PC i just bought will help bring in some of that well needed income.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi m8,im not sure there rs4 19" replicas tyre size 235-35-19 theres no rubbing or knocking at all and my mate fitted the koni springs and said the original shocks were fine my cars done 140+ k  the koni springs were 88 notes from venom motorsport

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx mate, didn't really want full kit as im lookin 2 get coilovers in the future. Probably buy the konis this week

·
Registered
632 Posts
if your looking to go to coilovers any way why not wait.

the coilovers would come sooner

the standard dampers won't be worn out so quick by over enthusiastic uprated springs,....and

your car won't pogo around during this period (due to above) making you look like zebedee[:$]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts