Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no no no...those are alright cos its air suspension (variable height)...i need to know about car problems

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 20/08/2004 15:07:36

Geeting over bumps...

Wrecking your valances...

Bottoming out....

Messing the dynamics of the car....

Messing the dynamics of the car....

Drive shaft and CV problems

ARB problems

Ground clearance problems

Destroying the re-sale value

Image problems.........[;)]

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'Image problems.........'

yeah right lol

but seriously cheers for that.

what kind of issues with drive shaft, CV and ARB. can theybe solved or not?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yes, the front ARB rubbing the driveshaft will be one problem, another could possibly be your exhaust may need adjusting as it may start to clang.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you want it as loooooow as you can go, you need to be aware of these things:

1) Arb

2) Wheel Arches

3) Wheel Arch Liners

4) Wheel Spacers

5) Wheel Size

5) Tyre Sizes

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys. what can i do about the ARB and driveshaft issue?

whats the lowest you've known someone go on 18's?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Eibach Arb is what you want, has larger hoops so it sits further back and wont rub. R1GTI is doing a Group buy, I think it's still on, check it out.

The lowest I've known... hmmmmm, Some Dutch geezer with that air-suspension setup. They just drop it all the way down for shows and the wheels go under those arches, couldn't drive it around like that obviously!

I'm pretty low myself, I can manage 1 finger under the front arches, soon change that though [;)]

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah there was a car with air suspension in 'The Golf' is that the one you mean. its the one that started me thinking. so is the ARB the only problem you've encountered getting your car that low?

yeah i basically wanted to ride as low as possible and still be able to go to full lock (or near enough, with 18x8 wheels)

and then raise it for speed bumps and curbs, etc...

then i'd love to drop it right down when parked.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
how low can u go before you start to encounter any of these problems? Would 50mm be ok? 40 just doesn't look low enough

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats waht i'm trying to figure out. i wanna basically have no gap between the arch and the tyre. well on the fron tonly enough to steer without hitting the arch.

i'm sure i've seen cars on VWVortex running this low.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yeah there was a car with air suspension in 'The Golf' is that the one you mean. its the one that started me thinking. so is the ARB the only problem you've encountered getting your car that low?

Not sure m8, the guy i'm talking about was at inters this year, navy blue GTI slammed on BBS RC's. I haven't changed my Arb yet [B)] (its on my list though) just hope the driveshaft is ok. One thing that makes me cringe though is whenever i make a tight corner and i hear the tyres scrapping the arches on the front, got some lovely grooves in the tyres! Need smaller tyres but can't afford yet [:(]. 18x8 is a good size for the mk4, I would look at getting skinny tyres cos they will help. You may also want to have your arches rolled slightly and maybe remove the wheel arch liners if you want full'ish lock.

I'm going to post a topic in the wheels/tyres section asking which tyre size would be best, I get confused with all the sizes, i'll keep u posted. [;)]

how low can u go before you start to encounter any of these problems? Would 50mm be ok? 40 just doesn't look low enough

Rye, -40mm -50mm is fine on 18's you wont experience any problems. We're talking -90mm and up and problems occur. [:)]

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cheers for that. the one in The Golf was on wire rims and had a full respray and stuff...you know like a proper magazine/show car

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mines pretty low on kw coilovers, dont know how much its down but its quite a bit.

I get rubbing on the wheel arch liners on the front but only in big dips in the road at speed.

No rubbing on the rears at all! I scraped the sump on a few things though [:(] need to be very careful over speed bumps!

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 32 Posts