Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm just trying to work out what to do. The car will be 3 in may, and it depserately needs lowering as it's on standard suspension, but i'm toiling with the idea of extending the warranty too, but it says any modifications out side of manufacturers specifications will invalidate the warranty (big words for 9pm, sorry)[:)].

So what options are there, dealer sports suspension? what's the drop and is it going to be enough? (aprt from being pricey)

Or should i just say sod it and put on some koni's and not bother with the extended warranty and hope the ECU, gear box etc don't pack up.

Also how do well do coilovers last during the winters as the cars used everyday. I'm tempted to go for a fixed drop option with no height adjustment as rock salt does horrible stuff to suspension parts.

cheers

g

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It was easy for me. I originally wanted a set of Santa Monica rims from my dealer and VW sports suspension. The rims were crazy money and the VW sports suspension was no longer available. So I bought a BBS wheel and tyre package and H&R coilovers for the cost of what I was quoted for the Santas alone without tyres [:S]

If any dealer tried it on, I'd just say H&R is an OEM supplier to VW (R32), so? [:p] Ditto BBS.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yea u will void the warranty if the suspension is aftermarket. Why not get the stealer to do the suspension work for you (I know its expensive but it will keep your warranty intact)

cheers

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What IS the drop on the VW sports suspension package?

Is that both springs and suspenders?

Are they good - as good as buying aftermarket like H&R or FK?

Whats the cost, including fitting by stealer?

Cheers [:p]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yea u will void the warranty if the suspension is aftermarket. Why not get the stealer to do the suspension work for you (I know its expensive but it will keep your warranty intact)

cheers
My dealer told me they could no longer get the factory stuff - hence I went aftermarket [:S] What else can you do?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Also, they should apply some common sense. If you change your suspension and then your windscreen wipers stop working, they shouldn't try to use that as an excuse, clearly the two are not related. Do check first though, if you go aftermarket.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mite have to pop into the dealers and have a chat, could be a good bet that they won't know either![:D]

I'm only after about a 30mm drop, as the sump is very low to start with and if i go too low i won't be able to get in to sainsburys!! [:D]

It's the back that's realy annoying, with the car being 3dr the back end sits really high. You could keep animals in the gap between the rear wheel and the arch!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
What IS the drop on the VW sports suspension package?

Is that both springs and suspenders?

Are they good - as good as buying aftermarket like H&R or FK?
VW "Sport suspension" as found on 1.8T / PD150 ex Factory gives a 15mm drop (!!) and does comprise springs and dampers. Confusingly, Dealer fit can just be a spring swap..

The Anni set up is -30mm and includes better dampers.

The Sport suspension is still underdamped, just less so than the Highline setup on V5's, PD130's etc. If your car has done 50k + then it's likely that the dampers are past their best. As Shiuming said, the cost of decent aftermarket kit - some of which comes from OEM Manufacturers ( Eibach, H&R) is far less than Factory kit, and provides a genuine improvement. Anyhow, if I recall the rules around Block Exemption correctly - a Manufacturer cannot withdraw a warranty if OEM parts and procedures are used in a repair/ replacement.

HTH

Allan

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would imagine that the anni set up would be an expensive option to go for, but would allow a no arguing stance for if i took out the extended warranty.

I only want about 30mm drop anyway, but i'm so tempted to just go for either the koni ssk or the bilstein kit and just sod the ext warranty and just treat the car as i would have to do if i'd bought it 2nd hand.

I could always put the cost of the ext warranty aside and use it if/when needed to fix the car as i tend to keep the oil burner for a long time and hopefully it'll become a 2nd car for when i've saved up for an R32.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Vrooooom - how much is the Koni ssk then?

Let me know how you go if you do get some suspension, and how much it all costs (with fitting and everything). As I have the same car as you, I'm intersted in this too!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Apparantly i asked one of the mechanics at the local stealer in leics an he sed the gti's and onwards have eibach suspension,how true i dont know.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Vroooom - have you managed to find anything out about this yet?

I was thinking of lowering with Eibach -30mm springs (as I dont want to go any lower) but have still got a year left on my warranty and dont want to lose it. Can you use Eibach springs and still keep the warranty? what about if you let VW fit them?

If I went for the Anni PD route - can I just get springs only (they are -30mm arent they?) and how much are they?

Theres just no point in going for the sports suspension if its only a 15mm drop really is there! its gotta be -30 or nothing [:p]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've done the Anni change and it's very worthwhile to keep the OEM theme - dealers simply don't bat an eyelid, and won't unless you get them to change the parts themselves. The parts I bough had only done a few miles and were in top notch condition. The ride are handling are lightyears better than the highline stuff on the std GTs and IMHO what the GT TDis should've felt like from the factory.

What Allan has said above backs up what I found out when I was researching this a couple of years ago.

Benn - buy Sems stuff!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
....dealers simply don't bat an eyelid, and won't unless you get them to change the parts themselves.

What Allan has said above backs up what I found out when I was researching this a couple of years ago.
Do you mean about there not being any issues with warranty, as obviously using anni stuff is OEM.

What you mean about "unless you get them to change the parts" - you mean they dont like to do it?

How much do VW charge to change them anyway?

Sem - how much will you be wanting for them? (dont know how much they are new anyway!) and how many miles have they done? Would you consider selling springs alone (as I am poor [:p])?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
What I meant was, they DGaF as all the parts look OEM, they may only notice you've changed it when they go to the parts department and find the part they're taking off is different to the part they're fitting.

They will only investigate warranty issues if a mod is obvious - i.e. the shocks you've fitted are bright yellow or coil-overs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
DGaF = ????? whats that mean?

I was just thinking of putting Eibach pro kit -30mm springs on and keeping original shocks. Eibachs are red, and I think my OEM ones are black, so will they notice this if I need any warranty work doing do you think?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about painting everything black? then get em a bit dirty, they'd never notice then would they?

How much would the anni stuff cost and would they fit it if asked?

But would the dealer still let the yts chavs do the servicing/ warranty work on the cars even if it had extended warranty?? or would you get the trained techs doing the work?

Got to admit it looks like i'm not going to bother with extending the warranty and just get some decent kit stuck on the car even if it's bright yellow!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts