Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. When I refurbished my MK4 I decided to lower the car slightly and so I purchased a "big hoop" ARB to clear the driveshafts. At the time I thought that would be sufficient for my purposes but I've found that the drop links are too close and sometimes hit the driveshafts. Here's a pic I just took of the setup:

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle Rolling

So I bought these off Ebay:

Gear Bicycle part Automotive tire Auto part Gas

....hoping they would do the job. Anyway, that was months ago - I've been really struggling to find the time to get this sorted. My question is, should I be aiming to be using shorter drop links so that the hoops are brought downwards over the driveshafts, or longer to lift up? The ones I have are about as long as the original links when fully retracted, so I think I've got the wrong things and I can't afford to waste time installing the wrong items. To bring the ARB hoops over and down will require really short drop links, can anyone recommend an actual item/listing?

Many thanks for any advice

·
NooNoo
9,474 Posts
Whatever length gets the most clearance, usually the shaft lining up with the radius at the top of the hoop, usually this is shorter, but not a given, depends on the bar.
You will generally find they rub when the steering angle is high.
The proper solution is a strut with the tang for attaching a tie, not one that connects to the wishbone.
I have a large hoop Eibach, with custom droplinks (ball joints both ends) as I have cast TT mk1 wishbones and have drilled the nub.

Goodluck :)

Reactions: Rgm36

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've struggled away with it this afternoon in the driveway and managed to fit these drop-links. It's not a great finish though - I'm sure the ARB won't be working as it should at that angle and it's still not far from steering and suspension bits. The good news is that I see my coilovers have the tab on the inner front sides, presumably to take the tie to the ARB ends. Anyone any idea on what links to buy? Or from what model car?

Many thanks

·
NooNoo
9,474 Posts
See this...

I'm sure I've seen this done with an "over shaft" ARB...

All I can tell you is that my drilled nub mk1 TT cast wishbones are a PITA droplink wise.

:)

Reactions: Rgm36

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks NooNoo, that's useful to see. I have a pair of Febi Audi TT drop links coming today from Amazon, I'm fairly confident they'll fit and I'll post a pic if they do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine goes under the driveshaft.

Eibach
What car was your ARB for? The original one for my TDi130 went over the driveshafts and I was sold this "big hoop" one to allow for the slight lowering I've done to it and it's thicker to uprate the ARB slightly. What do the ones which go under the driveshafts get fitted to originally?

·
NooNoo
9,474 Posts
See my build thread for 25mm eibach large hoop....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to you both, I opted for some long TT drop links, fitted between the struts and the ARB. They weren't that easy to fix actually as the holes in the ARB needed drilling out, but they work fine now and cope much better than the ones which attach to the LCAs with the errors in the angles where the JOM ARB wasn't made accurately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts