Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wahooooo!

In Bishop's Stortford, 78.9 for pikie unleaded, 84.9 for real stuff!

Tony

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
thats why we gotta praise the supermarkets! they slashed the prices of their fuel so forcing the 'brand' companies to do the same.

you can bet esso and the like would have held on for as long as possible at a higher price if they could've.

i don't use supermarket fuel but i'm damn glad they exist!

79.9p around my way.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i use supermaket fuel a lot and now the prices have dropped Unleaded is 78.9 and Super is 81.9 [:D]

last time this happened Unleaded dropped to 72.7!! [:eek:]

lets hope it makes it there again [;)]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote: posted by Blue V5 on 15/12/2004 19:21:12

79.9p around my way.

Blue, why don't you use Supermarket fuel?

AnilS.

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
Shell Diesel Extra cost me 84.9p per litre tonight on a near-motorway filling station (usually higher than normal prices).

I was happy!

·
Registered
464 Posts
It always bothers me when I see diesel at a higher price than petrol, which is just about always now.

Diesel is a by-product in the oil refining process, so effectivley its waste!

·
Registered
646 Posts
All come down near me but still 88.9 at a Shell on the M74 from Glaggow last night.

Noticed Optimax at an eyewatering 95p litre [:O]

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Felix,

It's only waste if nobody is willing to pay for it.

So it's waste to me, not to you.

Tony

snigger.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Guys, you all miss the point about petrol.........

Petrol is a bi-product of oil refining, from which plastics are made........

....if we didn't put petrol in cars they'd have to find some other use for it!

·
Registered
571 Posts
One of the advantages of going home to South Africa is I get to pay less than 40p a litre for petrol!

Downside is I have to drive my 20 year old uni car [B)][:(]

·
Registered
29 Posts
price conditioning, you all think its great that prices have dropped (and it is) but you all now think 80p/l is cheap, when in reality its actual price (tax included) is about 69p/l the petrol and oil co's have been doing it for years, look at bp's accounts last year, record profits of over ?2billion.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Still a rip off, I'm out of the UK at the moment and am paying ?0.90 cents for a litre of shells finest gazoil.

Combine that with an average of 45mpg and I've never had it so good. Not looking forward to coming back to the UK with it's rip off prices at all.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by AnilS on 15/12/2004 19:47:47

Quote: posted by Blue V5 on 15/12/2004 19:21:12

79.9p around my way.

Blue, why don't you use Supermarket fuel?

AnilS.

A lot of people reckon it's dirty.. so avoid it.. i'm not convinced and have never had any problems with it. I use a mixture of "brand" i.e. BP and supermarket fuel.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i was gonna say the same thing about 'price conditioning' but had to go out.

its a shame that we think this way and don't stand up to the government.

i don't use supermarket fuel because i don't personally feel it does my car any good. for one it smells different, has more detergents in it and i don't think its the same quality fuel as places such as esso or shell.

in fact, those are the only 2 fuel stations i will use. petrol snob, me? yep [:D]

(i would use bp but find that they are always more expensive than everywhere else round my way)

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyway, most people complain that there are far too many cars on the road now. So making fuel cheaper by reducing tax wouldn't do much to help.

To me, the fairest option would be along the lines of tax free fuel and no car tax, but charge for road usage. That way, Mrs Biddy in her little Micra who does her once a week shop wouldn't be penalised (remember there is no effective public transport outside of big cities) but Mr Rep would pay a fair price for hurtling up and down motorways and through town centres all day everyday.

Won't happen though.

Tony

1 - 20 of 32 Posts