Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an APR stage 1 chip done on my AGU at Awesome's RR day on Friday. The car is definately a lot faster and very smooth but when it went on the rollers it only produced 177 bhp at the fly [:(]. This is way lower than I was expecting as most other people with the APR AGU stage 1 get between 190 and 197 bhp.

It looks as though the remap has highlighted an existing problem with car but what could it be? [*-)]

MAF? Vac-lines? Throttle body? Boost leak? Anything else?

Also, I average about 25mpg fuel economy. I have only had the car for a few months so dont know if this is normal or part of the problem.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
have you had it on vagcom to see if there any fault codes on the car saying what could be wrong? also the mpg may be normal depends on your driving and ways its driven. mine is on 25mpg and thats with lots of cold starts ect

the 190 /195 bhp other people get is that at the fly too?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes mate, it had a full inspection service before the remap including a diagnostics check.

I think the 190+ bhp must be at the fly because wheel bhp would be lower due to transmission losses.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My AGU is one off Superchipped, and with other Mods-KO3s, milltek etc gets 35-38 mpg quite happily. Does the car feel underpowered? What did the rolling road operator say? They normally say if they feel the car is running lean, or has a problem, my car had a problem with the MAF, that VW had failed to even identify, it was only the expertise of the rolling road operator who said "do you know your MAF is Goosed"? so don't believe all that VW say.

SB

·
Registered
322 Posts
Was tlking to the lad who serviced urs Rozer!! He showed me your air duct system which is my plan for 2day!! Smart looking car!!

Thought the guys at awesome wud of give you a bit of an idea as to a possible fault??

·
Registered
811 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge or vag com to log airflow and boost...???

I'd be interested to see whats going on... I remember telling you that my car was the same.. AGU with APR and it was 180's... 200 with revo! It was purely down to the map. APR wasnt ar aggressive

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim - No mate, I don't have a boost gauge yet. However, I have seen a few otherwise standard AGU cars on this forum with the APR map and they're claming to produce 190's so I think I can get some more out of mine [:)]; Awesome themselves quoted 196bhp. I am begining to suspect the MAF as I had a K&N panel filter added a couple of months ago, plus the car has done 76K and is still on the original MAF. I'll try calling Awesome later to discuss this with them and post their response.

vw_andy - Thanks for the compliment mate [:D]. The air ducting did seem to make the throttle a little more responsive so it's a worthwhile mod considering it's so cheap.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
that aint a stupid question to be honest mate i dont know. i aint cleaned mine but here about it all the time.. some one will say in a bit im sure mate..

gray

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke to Awesome today. They said that a run on the RR immediately after remaping normally produces less power and that it takes a couple of weeks for ECU to adapt to the new map. I presume that this is the case with the APR map because it uses more timing and less boost.

They said that within a couple of weeks the car will get quicker and if I didn't notice it then they would have a look at it for me [:)]. This is great after sales service from those guys - I'm sure that some other garages would just book me in to try and get more money out of me!

I'll update the post in a week or two for those who are interested. Thanks guys [H]

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
oh i thought most people had a before and after run with the new map and that was a final figure..hummm
Hi All!

With all golf 4's tt's etc, they have a self learning ecu, so needs to adapt to its new values.

Not just with APR, but with all maps done in the same way.

Couple of weeks at the most, but after a fair few key turns at least.

Hope this helps

Dean

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Dean, I spoke to you about this on tuesday before I came and got that Neuspeed induction kit. I have to admit, it does feel as though it's steadily getting quicker [:D] The map has got a great feel to it, feels just like stock when driving around town but put your foot down and all hell breaks loose!!! I'll have to pop down again next time you have an RR day to check how much the output has increased [H]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi All!

Not just with APR, but with all maps done in the same way.

Couple of weeks at the most, but after a fair few key turns at least.

Hope this helps

Dean
I understand this Dean however does that mean that trial software doesn't actually release its true potential, and perhaps five hours isn't enough?

Cheers

Tony

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just thought I'd update this for anyone that's interested.

It turns out that the main reason for my power being down was the bleeding bumper vent in front of the intercooler!!!!![:O] One of the previous owner's had replaced a 1.8T lower grill with one from a 1.6 or something [:mad:] Awesome had the car on the rollers and got a jump of 15bhp just by removing the offending item!

A big thanks to Awesome for spending the time getting my car tip top!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts