Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise this is probably opposite of a lot of the coolant level warning light threads here...

Had not routinely checked coolant level for a few weeks, expansion tank empty, topped up. Then I realised I did not get the low level warning, and the temp gauge did not go above 90. Last year it kept coming on even when topped up, I scraped the sensor probes which fixed for a few weeks...in the end I just replaced the expansion tank, around June last year. Since then, over winter, low coolant did come up a couple of times...but it has not recently.

So my questions:
  1. Would I just need a new expansion tank, since the level sensors are embedded? Last one was an EIS one from ECP, a bit disappointed it seems to not have lasted more than a year.
  2. Anything else I should check before doing that?
  3. Does the level sensor have a measuring block on VCDS which could give me more info?
Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No measuring block on VCDS. Check resistance of probes.

Thank you. This needs to be checked when empty, otherwise I'm just measuring resistance of coolant? It was about 40kOhms, but I don't think this reading is of any value (happy to be corrected).

I will check resistance again next time its empty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts