Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys lve recently notice im losing abit of coolant isnt a load but enough to have to top up every 400 miles or so gets worse if i drive for longer periods of time, at the moment work is 2.5miles from home so isnt warming up at all but if i get my missus or sister from work and get stuck in peak traffic and car is up to 90 degrees it goes down abit quicker.the car is 02 gttdi 130 102k on clock had water pump belts etc changed 14k ago was hoping weather was going to change so i have look at rad etc,ive changed the blue cap on expansion tank there is no loss of power,cant see any leaks on to floor,there is abit of mayo on oil cap but have been told that is likely down to my short journeys.

any hints of what i can look for im hoping its not the headgasket,also heaters are fine

cheers for any info given

mark

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Possible leak is the best place to start.

Check the area that you usually park in for a dry white stain or for a dark permenant water type mark.

Some leaks cannot be seen dripping, but a give away can be when you get crystalised coolant on pipework/under the car.

Bump

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cheers will try and get underneath and have a look around engine bay over xmas period

cheers mark

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
i had the same problem the other day, drove from west---east london and the temp kept dropping back to 0 but then kept coming back to 90 so when i got home later that eveing i looked at the coolent and there was hardly any left?? so ive topped it up, i cant seem to see any leakes or anything..just going to judge it over the next couple of days and see what happends.

the mk4 likes to drink oil and ive topped that up too. atm im just putting it down to the weather but lets see what happends...

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
i had the same problem the other day, drove from west---east london and the temp kept dropping back to 0 but then kept coming back to 90 so when i got home later that eveing i looked at the coolent and there was hardly any left?? so ive topped it up, i cant seem to see any leakes or anything..just going to judge it over the next couple of days and see what happends.

the mk4 likes to drink oil and ive topped that up too. atm im just putting it down to the weather but lets see what happends...
Both of those are very bad symptoms and important issues.

You should get it checked out.

Ideally, NO oil should ever be lost, and coolant generally should never need topping.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The temp dropping from 90 down to zero and back up again sounds like a dodgy temperature sensor on the engine. I've had that myself.

With the leak I'd put some cardboard under your car when you park up and see if you get any drips. Could be your radiator as they tend to rust at the bottom corners. Have you got any mayonnaise or slug under your oil filler cap? If so could be a headgasket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts