Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. Since I bought the car there's been a connector block wrapped in insulating tape in my car, today curiosity got the better of me and I unwrapped it.

Once I did, There were 4 wires crimped onto spade connectors, I don't think they were plugged into the connector block, I think they were just taped to it to stop both falling down into the engine bay. By the looks of it the wiring runs to the alternator, and the connector side runs underneath the battery tray. From what I recall there was a blue wire, a black/brown? and a green

I'm not sure if I should connect them up because the car seems to be running however when I scan it with VCDS-Lite it comes up with 5 fault codes and one of them is about the alternator.

I then looked the engine bay over and could see two other connectors dangling underneath the battery tray but I couldn't spot anytthing that would connect into them. Would anyone know what they are?

If there's anyone in the Glasgow area that would be up for looking at the car and pointing a couple things out to me I'd be more than happy to pay for their time.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The wires above the starter motor go to the alternator and air con compressor from what i remember rightly should be four wires in total. The other plugs hanging down the big plug with 2 big wires and 2 small wires goes to the cooling fan. Not sure about the other plug though. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to reconnect the wiring that's split but at the same time the car's been working with them not connected so I don't know what it does.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Two are for the air con pump to activate it (if you have air con - live and earth) the other two go to the alternator to control the charging circuit. They should all be plugged together.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I first scanned the car with VCDS-Lite I got this fault code & 4 others.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1
Friday, 18 March 2011, 12:50:03.
Control Module Part Number: 038 906 019 HJ
Component and/or Version: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 1576
Software Coding: 00002
Work Shop Code: WSC 00028
VCID: 66BF359B1169
Additional Info: WVWZZZ1JZ3P393585 VWZ7Z0C7177572
5 Faults Found:
17911 - Load Signal from Alternator Term. DF: Implausible Signal
P1503 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Now that I've reconnectd th wiring do you thinnk it's worth while clearing the codes and seeing what happens ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I cleared the codes and I ran the car for 45 minutes and the temperature guage never went near 90 degrees, it wouldn't go past 75.

I turned the car off and rescanned it and only got 2 codes.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1
Sunday, 20 March 2011, 14:36:14.
Control Module Part Number: 038 906 019 HJ
Component and/or Version: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 1576
Software Coding: 00002
Work Shop Code: WSC 00028
VCID: 66BF359B1169
Additional Info: WVWZZZ1JZ3P393585 VWZ7Z0C7177572
2 Faults Found:
17664 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62): Open or Short to Plus
P1256 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18080 - Coolant Fan Control 1: Open or Short to Ground

Could the cooling fan control have something to do with those plugs that are loose by chance? Anyone know where to plug them in.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Like i said out of your two loose plugs the one with two big wires and two small wires in it plugs into the cooling fan. Plug for the fans should be located bottom of the rad on the passenger side of the car.

Also looks like you have a fault with your coolant temp sensor. I will have a look at my car to see where that other plug you have goes.

I would advised getting these all plugged back in ASAP as you could be causing damage to your car specially as the cooling system isn't operating correctly.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your help mate.

I tried to get a trolley jack under the car but it's sitting a bit too low atm, so I jacked it on the sill and didn't really trust getting my head under to have a look incase it collapsed.

I've been trying to see where the plugs could go all day and had no joy. I did inspect them though and they have a lot of corrosion on them so they've obviously been unplugged for a good while.

I know it's a lot to ask but if you could manage to take a photo I'd really appreciate it, when I next get some time off I'm going to try and get a hold of a new connector to repair that alternator plug.

It's going into the garage tomorrow morning to find the source of the oil leak (which I have a feeling is the sump pan),I'm also going to ask them what it would take to fix my turbo leak and if they could find where those plugs go while it's on the ramp and plug them in or even fill me in.

Thanks again for your help Dippy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right I've had a proper look around in my engine bay since you posted that pic.

When I looked under the battery tray I could see the 10mm bolts and to my shock some snapped looking black plastic, which makes me think that control unit was there at one point and for some reason has disapeared :/ Where does the control box connect to itself? Or is it just a case of the box being fitted there and the plugs connecting to them ? Either way I need to try and find a new one I think.

I also just ordered this
function item() { [native code...k/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180601208874

So I'll hopefully get that on Saturday, now to find a cooling fan unit :/

·
Registered
934 Posts
Did you notice if you can remove the control unit without removing the battery tray?

I have been looking for a control unit too - there are plenty on ebay but that may be a small risk as second hand.

Not sure if it itself plugs into anything else though I presumed it did.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just bought that temp sender off eBay. Same VW part number that was
on this site, also comes with O ring and surclip. Cost me £8 all in.

EuroCarParts want £17 just for the sender so I'd be willing to give it a chance.

I just went and had a look in the engine there mate. Where the cracked plastic is on mines, I undid the battery try cover and seen this.

I think it's only two 10mm bolts holding the housing on, Dippy mentioned that to me not too long ago actually. My main worry is the plugs go into that unit, but is there any other wiring going to the unit?

Do you have a link to any of the ebay parts?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The only wires going into that unit are the two plugs you have loose and all that holds it in place is the two 10mm bolts in your pic above.

I think part number depends on engine code and if you have climatronic or not.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The likes of this is what I have been looking at but as mentioned by dippy I think numbers depend on specific car - so maybe worth a phone to the dealers for a correct part number for yours. Mine is a 1.8T

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The ETKA program I'm looking at says the part number for the AUM engine code is '1J0 919 506 K' but I wouldn't take that as word of God.

·
Registered
934 Posts
ETKA has it right this time! Thats the one thats on mine just now (I am just trying to figure out why the a/c doesn't work!). Out of interest what should your part number be according to ETKA?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I asked a friend to look up the code for me, but I'm not 100% on this because the image looks a different size compared to looking at the plugs hanging off so I'll phone VW tomorrow but it's definetely going to be an eBay job.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts