Sounds sweet but I am finding it hard to see where VW are going to find
a market for both a 250bhp r32 and a 280bhp r36 as well as the 200bhp
GTI. I could see a seperate market for one of the two but I find it
hard to accept that VW will have a GTi, R32 and R36 all available
within about 2 years. Who knows though?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Still only rumours I reckon. Can't see why they'd do an R32 and an R36. Not impossible but seems highly unlikely.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Those aren't photochops. It's the car in testing guise somewhere in Germany.

After seeing the prototype MKIV R32 at the VW museam in Wolfsburg, I wouldn't rule out the twin centre tailpipes as a hint to what the final production model will look like.

Agree with others though, why produce an R32 when the idea of an R36 keeps being banded about. Only thing I can think of is the stratergy they took with the MKIV - release the Anniversary then one year later release a more performance aimed MKIV, trying to get most owners to swap.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree it seems alittle strange to have 2, the R32 and possibly an R36, but there would be 2 years between their release dates, and most people change their cars every 2/3 years.....

I for one will cross my fingers and hope that it does happen, 280bhp standard sounds like something rather special!

[:|]

·
Registered
13 Posts
I must say that I have not been a fan of the MK5 design! The GTI, R32, R36 etc have got to look agressive but the germans have let us down. The R36 just looks like a blown up Polo with a body kit. It will take a longtime for the MK5 to grow into me.. I prefer the MK4 design... blown up arches etc..

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Not photochops?! Tabs, have you seen the other pictures?! Those 2 silver tailpipes sticking out the side?!? Why on earth would VW do that?! Also, the other close up photo's look more and more like photochops.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Not photochops?! Tabs, have you seen the other pictures?! Those 2 silver tailpipes sticking out the side?!? Why on earth would VW do that?! Also, the other close up photo's look more and more like photochops.
Wolf in sheeps clothing. Why hint at the final production look when the world press is photographing the life out of the car during testing.

Who knows they could be deciding what exhaust style to go with.

I hope they stick with the centre exit [au]

·
Registered
697 Posts
Very likely they are mule pictures and probably give no clue to the real design the next gen R3x will take!

But I too like those twin middle pipes

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I think to be honest if there waas going to be any Mule work undertaken
for the R36 it would take place under an a3 skin, as there is already a
4wd shell with a v6 engine available so any
suspension/engine/drivetrain development would take place in that shell
before VW went to the next stage of squeezing it into a Golf

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
TDI 4motion is now avaiable so the floor plan at least is usable - just need to shoehorn a V6 in the engine bay [8-|]
Shoe horn will be the right term too !

The Mk5 engine bay is more cramped than the Mk4 by 10% I guess.

I also agree that VW will likely bring out one ".:R" model and unlikely two of them.....after all - WHY?

Sure, VW do like to keep us owners coming back for the 'latest' model, but the past has shown there to be a design/model evolution.

The TDi models are different for some reason - here VW run probably three or four bhp variants in parallel production.

Unless VW are planning a turbo'd V6 with say 350bhp, and a n/a V6 with the say, 250bhp, then there's too little between them for viability, for sure.

For those who say "I don't like the look of the Mk5"....... have you driven one yet?

Change is unpopular.....agreed.....but it's also inevitable ! [8-|]

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'd agree that it seems unlikely VW would offer a R32 and a R36. But you never know![:D]

I believe that given that the general power figures for the latest "hot hatches" now tend to be 200-230bhp a "super hot hatch" such as the Mk5 R32 would need to up the bhp from the current 241 to be tempting and competative.

Given that the general opinion is the current R32 engine is not capble of much more than 250bhp it does appear VW may resolve the issue by increasing capacity to 3.6 with around 270-280bhp on tap. But you never know, they might surprise us all by sticking a 'charger on the 3.2 (note I did not commit to super or turbo [:D]).

A final indication of the bhp for the next R would be the difference in bhp figures between the GTI and R. Discounting the Anni, in the Mk4 this was 91bhp. If you apply the same thinking to the Mk5 you must be looking at 280ish for the R. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part. But as mentioned before the R needs to be another notch higher than the superb 200bhp GTI if it's going to make people part with ?4-5k more! Plus when I read in this week's Autocar that the latest Focus RS is speculated as having 350bhp using a Volvo in line six, VW needs to have something in the same ball park!!!

By the way, as you may know Autocar run a future cars timeline. This has always listed the Mk5 R32 as being "early 2006". In the last couple of issues it has simply been listed as January. Interesting![:p]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think if BMW can get 340 odd bhp out of the M3 3.2 lump why cant VW.
If they could uprate bits on the 3.2 litre engine I reckon they could
have some good figures, but saying that the M3 is a straight six and
the R is a V6. Which is a more tuneable engine a straight 6 or a V6
just out of curiousity??

Sonny

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I think if BMW can get 340 odd bhp out of the M3 3.2 lump why cant VW. If they could uprate bits on the 3.2 litre engine I reckon they could have some good figures, but saying that the M3 is a straight six and the R is a V6. Which is a more tuneable engine a straight 6 or a V6 just out of curiousity??

Sonny
Yeah but the M3 costs 40K for that reason, the amount of money that has gone into tuning and developing the engine. If VW decided to do the same it would cost similar money and lets face it who would pay 40K for a Golf. I can't see the new R having any more than 270bhp for that reason. It needs to be a reasonable price and any one looking to spend more money and get more power would probably be looking at the new S3 or if it happens the RS3. Whatever happens I reckon it will be 2007 at the earliest before we see a new R.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
But even the standard 330ci has 240ish bhp and that will leave an R
standing I've heard. Personally I reckon if they make a rear wheel
drived hot hatch R they will put the 1-series out of the seen and have
some serious performance and some 0-100 figures, I think the 4 wheel
drive system kills the R's true performance in the real world.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts