Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at ordering

5 door

pearl black

cloth interior

18" alloys

looking at the spec it comes well equipped as standard, what do you reccommend as a must have when ordering though.

thanks

steve

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. I will also be ordering a GTI in about 6 months. Having owned a GT TDI already, the following would be on my must have extras:

1) DSG - I just gotta have "Launch Control" and that silky smooth gear change!

2) Armrest with 6 CD Autochanger - You can later swap the CD changer easily for an Ipod dock. And I think most people have regretted not getting the armrest.

3) Highline computer - ?45 option

4) Winter pack

5) Dimming wing mirrors with area lighting

6) Leccy Sunroof

7) Satnav - BUT NOT FACTORY FITTED - You can buy them off ebay for a fraction of the cost of the factory option and it is really straight forward - already fitted it to my oil burner

8) Xenons - Not convinced yet on these... Could go either way.

Happy buying!

fM

·
Registered
177 Posts
IMO, "must haves" are the following;

1.) Front Centre Arm-rest

2.) 18" Monza II's (much nicer than the standards)

3.) Hi-Line Computer (missed out on this on mine... drat!)

4.) Best option by far - DSG (not cheap but worth every penny!)

Non-Essential ones to consider (which I'm pleased I had);

a) Xenons - very nice!!!

b) Sunroof.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Definatly Xenons, I drove a Focus ST with which comes as standard with the Xenon headlights and the way that it lights the road up is amazing, definatly a must have.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Definatly Xenons, I drove a Focus ST with which comes as standard with the Xenon headlights and the way that it lights the road up is amazing, definatly a must have.
not only that but mk5 golf bi-xenons are supposed to be one of the best out there.

·
Registered
471 Posts
In addition to what you've said I'd say the following:

Not really an option, for ?45 Highline computer is a must

1)Armrest - it's not bad without but for long journeys it's a must. Plus it makes the cabin look a bit more complete IMO (should really be standard, along with highline)

2)Xenons - This is my first car with xenons, and I wouldn't go back now. They really are superb, and the visibility is so much better.

and last, but potentially most important...

3)DSG - I wouldn't swap my DSG box for anything else. It's probably the best option available by far for the GTI - it just takes a bit of getting used to. Once you're there though, you'll be completely won over. If I could only have one option out of the three I've listed I'd go with DSG (and highline computer, but that's only ?45). Hell, I love the DSG enough that I'd even consider losing the 18"s for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking that thw 18's would be a waste of money as i am looking to fit audi 18" monoblocks.

Why dsg instead of the 6 speed box?, the cars only for carting the kids to and from school and weekend fun.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
From where I'm sat, 1) Highline (it's so cheap it's stupid not to), 2) 18's - the diamond finish excels and quite frankly makes the 17s look utter pish. If you're not gonna keep the monzas as you've said, then yeah keep the 17s, and flog them (the 18s obv wouldn't be worth it).

Arm rest is a nice touch, but I don't have it and having had it in my mk4 I don't overly miss it so! Can' remember what the winter pack gives you, but I'll tell you know the front light washers are an absolute WASTE of space - ask anyone who's ever been on a cruise with me in it, and I've given them a "free wash"! [:S]

The leather is nice but not cheap... Depends if you like leather or not, some people love it, some people love cloth and won't go near leather.

Best bet for the interior bits, even if it's not a GTI go check out various mk5 cars down at the dealers for the cloth, leathers and what not [:)]

Have a poke around the mk5 general discussion forum a bit more - there are a few threads asking questions like this so it's been covered a few times before [y]

C

EDIT: DSG is a VERY aquired taste... Personally I hate it (the whole though of an auto or even semi auto, which si how I see DSG even in manual, is old man-ish and boring!), and I normally say to people if you don't want an auto, don't get it [:)] (I know Mr Wheelnuts (cmdrfire) will probably slaughter me now but hey lol!)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I see DSG even in manual, is old man-ish and boring
Most BTCC Touring Cars & Rally Cars employ a sequential, semi-automatic gearbox not too dissimilar to that of DSG. Formula 1 cars and most of the world's top sports cars use paddle-shift and "Sport Mode" provides red-line gear changes that'll make your pants turn brown.

Each to their own but I do think that your view of "Automatic" gearboxes, particularly DSG, is a little out of date, misguided and somewhat "old-manish" itself.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Fine by me. However, whilst a hothatch, it's gonna be mainly on the road. It's not like a 6 speed manual's quite as practical on the track, is it. Sliiiiightly different scenario, wouldn't you say??

C

PS - if this one causes contraversy it'll be interesting [:D]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fine by me. However, whilst a hothatch, it's gonna be mainly on the road. It's not like a 6 speed manual's quite as practical on the track, is it. Sliiiiightly different scenario, wouldn't you say??
I thought the point you were making in your original post was that DSG was "boring and old manish". The "argument" (not that I want to get into one) now seems to have changed to how practical DSG is but you're sort of contradicting yourself when you say DSG is more suited to the track. Which environment normally provides the most driving excitement - Road or Track?

Anyway, opinions on DSG and Manual have been well covered in other posts so - that's me done on this thread!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I was thinking that thw 18's would be a waste of money as i am looking to fit audi 18" monoblocks.

Why dsg instead of the 6 speed box?, the cars only for carting the kids to and from school and weekend fun.
DSG:
When carting the kids to and from school, stick in D and have a nice leisurely drive.
For weekend fun, throw it into "M" and take off. DSG is faster, and provides more control and precision (and, IMO, more fun) compared to the manual box.

EDIT: DSG is a VERY aquired taste... Personally I hate it (the whole
though of an auto or even semi auto, which si how I see DSG even in
manual, is old man-ish and boring!), and I normally say to people if
you don't want an auto, don't get it
Smile
(I know Mr Wheelnuts (cmdrfire) will probably slaughter me now but hey lol!)
I'm not exactly an old man now, am I Chris? [;)]

Again, DSG is neither auto (lacks a torque converter) nor semi-auto (does not have a single sequentially-driven clutch) but a genuinely new type of gearbox that affords both greater control and precision than any manual box ever will (and hence more driving fun), whilst at the same time offering genuine practicality and ease if you're feeling lazy today/wandering around London.
Next time we're out at the 'Ring (or any track), I'll give you a drive in my car - we'll see if you rate it as boring then! [;)]

[email protected] Mr Wheelnuts too [:p] is that my new nickname? [;)]

However, whilst a hothatch, it's gonna be mainly on the road. It's not
like a 6 speed manual's quite as practical on the track, is it.
Sliiiiightly different scenario, wouldn't you say??
DSG works well on both the track and the road, as I have found. Also, given all the technology already in the GTI - ESP, ABS, TPM, and all those other three-letter acronyms - don't you think that the DSG matches this "technology to enhance the driver's fun"-type ethic?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I see DSG even in manual, is old man-ish and boring
Most BTCC Touring Cars & Rally Cars employ a sequential, semi-automatic gearbox not too dissimilar to that of DSG. Formula 1 cars and most of the world's top sports cars use paddle-shift and "Sport Mode" provides red-line gear changes that'll make your pants turn brown.

Each to their own but I do think that your view of "Automatic" gearboxes, particularly DSG, is a little out of date, misguided and somewhat "old-manish" itself.
Dave I must confess I did cock up my original post. I see auto as old manish and boring to be honest - and therefore DSG is sort of alongside it. Not changing it tho, my cock up and I'll live with it.

And Neo - yes that's your new nickname as agreed by all at the 'Ring. Re giving me a drive on a track, see the end of my other post about track being different scenario. Also, put it in auto... and er, that's like an automatic, even if the mechanics are different [:)]

I dropped the bait I wanted tho to catch you and got you [;)]

C

·
Registered
471 Posts
And Neo - yes that's your new nickname as agreed by all at the 'Ring. Re giving me a drive on a track, see the end of my other post about track being different scenario. Also, put it in auto... and er, that's like an automatic, even if the mechanics are different [:)]

I dropped the bait I wanted tho to catch you and got you [;)]

C
I guess I can live with Mr Wheelnuts [;)] You know how hard it is to get a new set of 'em? Dealers or dedicated wheel places only, neither the car tuning place nor the garage I went to to get a new set had 'em!
And yep, you got me good and square, it's like a light to a moth...

/I am the mothman...

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
No, you ARE Mr Wheelnuts [h]

And yeah, and you have to be lucky if they're in or not - struck lucky when i lost my locking key for my nuts (easy!) as they had one in stock, would've been a disaster otherwise!!!!

C

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I have the following extras

Diamond Black - the best colour IMO

Sunroof - OK but not the end of the world without it. My headlining rattles when the 'roof is open.

Winter pack - essential IMO. Nice to have a warm bum in the winter

Satnav - OK but if it was my own money, I'd either retro fit ( as mentioned above ) or go TomTom

Factory 'phone install - rubbish - doesn't do what it promises

Folding mirrors - should be listed as " non-folding mirrors" - don't bother

Road Angel - 20K per annum...its a must

17s - I agree with Chris - definately go for 18s on the GTi - they look soooo much better

Can't comment on DSG or Xenons as I've never tried them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts