Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Looking to buy a 130 or 150

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  NCR1 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm jumping shpi from my 306 gti-6 to a Golf Tdi

I definately want either a 130 or 150, but i would like any advice

on what to look out for when i go and view them.

There are alot of high mileage ones, i always stray away myself, am i wrong in doing this.

Although, the main reason for me getting a tdi is a new job, which will mean i'll be doing 3 times the mileage.

Cheers

#2 ·
Hi Mate

I jumped from a GTI-6 to a Golf GT TDI PD150 ...you will not be dissapointed......go for the 150 as it has the extra puff in the higher revs otherwise you'll miss the revs of the GTI-6 . Performance wise they are more or less the same, although a re-map and exhaust system on the GOLF will give you 190+ bhp and huge amounts of torque making it comfortably quicker than the 306. You must remember it will never handle like the GTI-6 though!!!

Once re-mapped you can still expect nothing less than 40 mpg driven hard and upto 55mpg on the run

High milers are nothing to worry about but personally I wouldnt get anything with more than 100k on the clock due to other component lifespans....engine can do 200k plus proven....do a search on common faults and check out what to look for.

People say the 130 has less lag....but after a good re-map on a 150 its just as responsive but with the high end power too

#6 ·
Welcome,

I imagine you'll be delighted on the build quality front, but crying with regard to the handling unless your willing to spend loads modding the suspension on a Golf.

At the end of the day a Golf is an excellent cruiser, its no handler, a Pug 306 GTi-6 would leave most Golfs in a cloud of dust through the bends.

Make sure you have a long test drive to be certain with your decision.

Maybe a BMW Diesel would be more up your street, handling, power and build quality?

Good luck!

#9 ·
Welcome,

I imagine you'll be delighted on the build quality front, but crying with regard to the handling unless your willing to spend loads modding the suspension on a Golf.

At the end of the day a Golf is an excellent cruiser, its no handler, a Pug 306 GTi-6 would leave most Golfs in a cloud of dust through the bends.

Make sure you have a long test drive to be certain with your decision.

Maybe a BMW Diesel would be more up your street, handling, power and build quality?

Good luck!
As an ex 306 (only an XSi though) owner I agree with this post. I just rememberd when I first took a 1.8T out for a test drive, all went well until at the roundabout the Golf almost understeered into the next county, but I was driving my normal 306 speed!!

A BWM diesel even an SE handles well (so I've been told on this forum)

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply smallboy. I have also noticed that some TDI's display a GTI badge on the back, been looking on Autotrader over dinner. She wants the GT TDI so will have to be lucky as most TDI130 just show TDI. What does the red colouring of the TDI letters mean?

#11 ·
The GTI badge for the TDI's reflect the 150bhp versions. All TDI 130 models are GT versions whether badged or not. The 'GT' badging on the TDI cars was applied at random by UK dealerships - not at the factory. If you see TDI then it means the car is a 150bhp version; if you see TDI or TDI then these are the 110bhp or 130 bhp PD (pumpe duse) models which differ from normal TDI (in silver badging). The PD models were the later and more modern diesels to be introduced to the MkIV range. I have no idea what advantages the PD models brought.

If in doubt about the model, check the VW sticker by (next to the spare wheel well I think) lifting the boot mat and verifying which model you are looking at. The power of the engine (in kW) is printed on there.

~ Maxie

#12 ·
Oh my god!!!

This is exactly the same as me. Owned a GTi-6 for over 3 years. Love
it, but due to a promotion at work I am now covering more miles and
need a diesel.

I want a 130/150 but my dads work are selling a 130 as its end of lease
and I'm trying to buy it for a good price. Builds better but feels like
a boat compared to the 306.

Really dont want to sell but need the diesel.

I've after just bought a kart so need something which can pull a trailer.

#13 ·
the PD130 does have less lag due to having an SMIC as opposed to the FMIC and extra piping on the PD150. Both cars remap to roughtly the same anyways give or take 5+bhp etc..

Regards to handling, they do wallow a bit, uprate the springs and shocks for about 800quid would sort that out..

I would go for the 4 Motion version myself, different drive i should imagine, never driven a 4Mo but if its anything like my A3 TDi Quattro then you'll love it!

#15 ·
Thanks for the reply smallboy. I have also noticed that some TDI's display a GTI badge on the back, been looking on Autotrader over dinner. She wants the GT TDI so will have to be lucky as most TDI130 just show TDI. What does the red colouring of the TDI letters mean?
Just change the lettering? All you have to do is put the GT in front of the existing letters. Your not making it something it's not, it just wasn't badged up by the dealer in the first place like it.

#16 ·
Just change the lettering? All you have to do is put the GT in front of the existing letters. Your not making it something it's not, it just wasn't badged up by the dealer in the first place like it.
All TDi's (mk iv) are GT spec. The 150 is GTi spec (1.8 T Gti spec to clarify)

The red letters denote more poweful engine (the base TDi has all silver and the 150 should have all red TDi).

I personally go with the less is more motto on 'GT' badging. I think all red TDI looks great - only people in the 'know', know what that means.

IMO the GT badging looks a bit silly, espeically when all it means is 'this car drives slightly better than a regualr mk iv but, is still really underdamped and under sprung'

#17 ·
All TDi's (mk iv) are GT spec.
Actually, that's not entirely true. The PD130 and PD150 were the only two available new that were badged as GT PD TDI 130/150 when I bought mine in 2003 (for MY03 cars). Some early TDIs (1.9 S TDI/1.9 SE TDI) were badged S/SE rather than just the higher GT spec though. [:)]

#18 ·
All TDi's (mk iv) are GT spec.
Actually, that's not entirely true. The PD130 and PD150 were the only two available new that were badged as GT PD TDI 130/150 when I bought mine in 2003 (for MY03 cars). Some early TDIs (1.9 S TDI/1.9 SE TDI) were badged S/SE rather than just the higher GT spec though. [:)]
There were 130TDI SE spec cars right to the end, and the estate cars also had the 130 engine in non GT spec.

The earlier point about the badges being either silver or red depending on bhp is again the old story of DON'T RELY ON THE TAILGATE BADGING. As we know the dealers threw anything they liked at the UK spec cars to make them more appealing. The whole GT/SE etc specs are only for the UK and were decided on to sell us more cars of the same spec. The continental Highline spec is what we call GT over here so look at the boot sticker to confirm what you are buying and then check the power output on the sticker, next confirm it with the log book.

Some 150TDI cars were badged with all red TDI badges and no doubt endless combinations of this and silver letters and some were badged as GTI, again either silver or red in different places depending on the day of the week. The 130TDI cars were primarily left with TDI badges, usually with the red D and I but again take this with a pinch of salt. Any other GT letters etc were added again at dealer discretion, or now on older cars the past owner probably had a hand in it!

#19 ·
Sorry, I was wrong saying ALL Tdi's are GT spec. I meant that the TDi's that people talk about most commonly (TDI 115 upwards) the sporty ones. Yes, I accept that not all 130's are 'sporty'

So what I should have said is all 'sporty' TDi's are GT spec, the most 'sporty' one getting the full 1.8T spec which is over and above GT spec. Hence why people like badging them GTi and GTi but thats a different can of worms!!

I personally think that my car (TDI 150) which is badged as GTI should be TDI, but I can't be bothered to change it.

#20 ·
Your right the whole badging, spec issues are a can of worms. VW UK really went to town with the buying public over the MKiv, and haven't stopped with the MKv. As shown now with the confusion over the change to the GT model when they were already selling us spec'd up Sport models for more money under the GT banner!

Why can't they just sell us what is produced at source for other countries? Much less confusion. When I was in Spain last year saw a couple of MKiv 1.4 Highline models, so GT over here. These would have been a bonus for the younger UK driver, the looks of a GT without the high insurance, but it never made it here.

#21 ·
As stated earlier, just ignore the badges on the back and check the sticker under the carpet in the boot, worth doing to make sure all the info matches up too and that your not being sold a different capacity engine.

96kw is the 130bhp and 110kw is the 150bhp, the 130 should say highline too, not sure what the 150s say.

I took all the badges off mine, the only clue now is the cloud of soot that it kicks out[:)]

#22 ·
My PD 150 came with GTi spec but the badging on the rear said... T(silver) DI(red).Under the bonnet was all silver TDI on the engine cover.But it does,nt matter cos some spotty tw4t in a Fabia VRS will get up ur arse....2 today not to mention them bloody clio,s thanks to that 182 v TDI thread..GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR [:mad:]

#25 ·
Hi Guys,

Just come back from holiday(week in bulgaria) , few too many kids and Germans(no offence Golf)!!

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm chomping at the bit to get one now. i know about the handling and i have thought about how much it will bother me. I have been in a 130, the feel of the car is so solid compared to my gti-6, i do really like the feel of that, plus i dont tend to drive too stupidly these days. I just like to have the power at my disposal.

My budget is about 8k, so i am probably going to have to get a 130. I'd love a 150, but they just command too much money. The 130's are silly prices sometimes.

I have seen one at Britsh car auctions, its 53 plate with 27K on the clock, 1 VW stamp at 15k. i am going to go and have look(its not too far away), anyone got any thoughts on buying from the auction and what sort of price you would look to pay on that. I was thinking no more than 8k. but i may be wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.