Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go,'da golf' as i call it hasn't been modded for a while, and this is as it stands;

Posted Image

been thinking of getting coilovers but dont want to spend alot (any cheap ones about??). Its on a 35mm drop at the mo.
should I loose the grill and/or eyelids? I dont know how the eye lids are going to come off tho as they got super sticky glue or somehting on em!
I've got an R Bra but dont use it daily, just on the M1 runs i do.
btw this is an external mods car ONLY!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Don't get cheap coilovers they're no good. I'm sure some carb cleaner would take those eyelids off - just don't let it run onto the bumper [:|]

Car looks pretty smart as it is, if ya wanna change the grille how about an Oettinger one?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
what are cheap coillies, are the £300 ish fks or jamex considered rubbish I thought they were alright?

I like your car mate but i think i would lose the eyebrows if you can get them off!

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Yup, agree with most others, eyelids need to go, i used to have them, now have changed the front end, and glad that the lids have gone!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys; I had a feeling the eyebrows had to go lol!

cheers shiuming, I'll look into that. Probably just take the headlights off and then fiddle with the carb cleaner.

I'm not really fussed about performance from the coilovers tbh. My car aint superfast thats why I was thinking FK Coilovers.

Are there any different brands near the same price range?

I wants to stay away from having the badge on the front Shiuming, how about a debadged one, or what if i took the kamie badge off this grill? (would that look odd??)

PS no one noticed the door strips are grey! lol these will be replaced with primed and painted ones when the eye lids come off!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
My car aint superfast thats why I was thinking FK Coilovers.
Nor is mine and I've got H&Rs [:D] A lot of people here have the FKs and are pleased with them, what I meant was stay away from the £200 eBay stuff, honestly, coilovers are really racetrack technology, you wouldn't be getting the real deal for £200. The benefits of good suspension can be felt in any car, doesn't have to be a fast one. £100 on a rear anti-roll bar will help make the car corner better as well, a good addition to a good set of coilovers. The badging thing is personal, some people say you have to debadge, I personally think a car looks incomplete without (like they forgot to finish it at the factory).

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand what you mean. I wouldn't get coilovers from ebay!! Mine is acutally just on 35mm springs, shocks are still standard so you can imagine how fun it is over bumps! lol how much did the H&R's set you back? including labour if you don't mind?

It's only a 1.4. I was thinking of an induction kit but I still have warranty remaining till Feb, and was thinking this may void it. I don't want to do too much, as in 2 years or so I'll probably get a TDI and swap the parts back over; unless its a mk5!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
H&R coilovers were £680 couple of years ago [:S] The prices have gone up now [:(] Get yourself a set of decent Bilstein sports dampers, they'll totally transform the car and won't break the bank, and maybe get ChippedUK or Revo to remap the car for a bit more poke. All depends how long you intend to keep the car really.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blimey!!!!!!! I'm looking to spend half that roughly! yeah just did a search, couldn't find them for less than 700. I was thinking changing the shocks too. If I get the Springs/suspension package at a 50mm drop, I'm not sure if it'll bring my car low enough, as its only 1.5cm than what i got now [:S]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I'm one of the Boring Brigade here [:$] For a street car/daily driver you don't really need it that low. Otherwise VW would have decked the MkV GTI, for example. You might think the car is driving/handling better (stiffer/lower doesn't always mean better) but when a car manufacturer does these things, development engineers take measurements and base the suspension set-up on that. Defo change the dampers though and don't get too obsessed with ride height, just enjoy driving your car [Y]

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my 40mm lowering gmax suspension was cheap, but it works very well [:D]

could always change your alloys for something a bit more rare/unique instead of A8s, i have some you might like and are a bargain [;)] hehe

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my 40mm lowering gmax suspension was cheap, but it works very well [:D]
He asked about coilovers though [:D]
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - dont make me sound stupid [:$]

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your car does look much lower than mine skierandy. I got g-max springs I think. The shocks wouldnt play a roll in the car not sitting as low as it should would they? Theres some 50mm Eibach springs/shocks I mite end up going for from OEM parts......decisions decisions!!!!

I'm guessing you mean the kahn alloys mate! You wanna swap?!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Your car does look much lower than mine skierandy. I got g-max springs I think. The shocks wouldnt play a roll in the car not sitting as low as it should would they? Theres some 50mm Eibach springs/shocks I mite end up going for from OEM parts......decisions decisions!!!!

I'm guessing you mean the kahn alloys mate! You wanna swap?!
the shocks could play a part in not being so low as they will only travel as far as they needed to for the springs that go with them,does that make sense to you?

not the kahns, they are long gone, i mean these bad boys:

Posted Image

Posted Image

PM me if you want more info on them

1 - 20 of 28 Posts