Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - just had my first kid and with the new speed bumps on the street I have finally decided I need to do something about my suspension. Im dreading making a mistake and ending up with that boaty ship on a rough sea feeling again so im looking for advice.

I think for a start my rear bushes need doing as the back is crashy but apart from that I love the current set but the cars not just for me its for the wife and kid (god that sounds old lol)!

My GT Tdi came with the completely standard super soft and 66,000 miles completely knackered standard suspension - made my sisters old 1.1 mk3 Fiesta look like a go-kart.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to soften things a little from my B4/Eibach set up?

I have toyed with the idea of a PD150 shocks and springs but I may find this too bouncy again. What about sticking some PD150 springs on with my B4's or some PD150 Shocks on with my Eibachs? Only thing is I have the shortend B4's to match the -30mm Eibachs so would these be fine with the PD150 springs?

I am not bothered in the slightest about loosing the -30mm Eibach height as I have to go over all the speed bumps at 1mph to stop damaging the front spoiler.

All opinions and adivce welcome[H]

Carl

*oh and does anyone know the colour dots on the PD150 springs?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Keep your bilsteins and go for the PD150 springs. The shorter ones are intended for "sports" suspension, which covers the 150 model.

I bought the eibachs and wish I hadn't - it's just too hard for the rubbish, potholed and speedbump infested roads up here.

If anyone wants to swap springs, let me know!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you should say that - im up in Inverness and im suffering the same thing but down the central belt I think they have forgotten how to repair roads!

The Eibachs are great but I spend 99% of my time driving around town through pot holes and bumps plus having to cross 6 different speed bumps to get to my house and I just need a bit more give.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the comfort issue has much more to do with the shocks rather than the -30mm Eibach springs. I first changed my knackered shocks at 60K miles to Koni Red and although the handling improved no end, the ride became quite harsh. After a while I also added Eibach springs and the difference in ride quality was negligible - but of course one needs to be much more careful with bumos etc.

I have had my Koni Red's for almost 20K miles and although they mellowed down after about 5K miles (bedded in I presume), they are still not confortable enough. I am personally thinking of swapping them for the Anni shocks which cost new about ?240. The Anni had -30mm springs made by Eibach for VW and the shocks should be a good match for aftermarket -30mm Eibach srpings.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think the comfort issue has much more to do with the shocks rather than the -30mm Eibach springs...
Partly, it's about matching the spring rate and damping rate. If the ride has gone harsh by just changing dampers (as in your case), the dampers are too firm for the springs - the dampers then take over the role of spring, and the ride suffers.

On my car, the issue is that (IMO) the Bilstein B4 dampers are not firm enough for the high spring rate of the Eibach springs. Remember that the eibachs are intended as an upgrade beyond the Sports suspension, so are an even higher spring rate. The B4s are intended to operate with the Highline or Sports suspension (depending on the type you choose), and just don't damp the springs sufficiently.

Harshness of ride tends to come across in two ways that feel VERY similar on the road,

Springs too stiff for dampers - harsh, tends to crash into bumps, plus an "extra bounce" over larger dips in the road. Rather "jiggly" feel.

Dampers too still for springs - harsh, tends to crash OVER bumps. feels like every matchstick is a speedbump.

(not best description out there, I know)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Have you looked into the new Koni FSD shocks? I've read some great reviews about these.. Apparently more comfortable than stock, while still allowing for good handling. Might be just what you are looking for? Supposed to be used with stock springs, or springs with only a small drop, which the Eibachs are.
Im not up on all the technical blurb, but these shocks adapt to how you drive and to road conditions etc.
Google for info on them, you should find plenty.

I just got a set of these for my Bug, but wont be able to fit them right away..

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've got B4's with eibach -30mm springs and the ride is almost
identical to stock. The only real change in the ride came after I
fitted a rear neuspeed arb as the back end stiffened up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you looked into the new Koni FSD shocks? I've read some great reviews about these.. Apparently more comfortable than stock, while still allowing for good handling. Might be just what you are looking for? Supposed to be used with stock springs, or springs with only a small drop, which the Eibachs are.
Im not up on all the technical blurb, but these shocks adapt to how you drive and to road conditions etc.
Google for info on them, you should find plenty.

I just got a set of these for my Bug, but wont be able to fit them right away..
I'm planning on changing my stock suspension (sports not fitted as standard in Ireland) to Koni FSD and Eibach 30mm early in the new year. I too have horrible roads to contend with and the car is so dangerously bouncy on some roads. I believe this combo will provide a balance between comfort and handling and make the car safer too. On several occasions, over a series of undulations the car has gathered vertical momentum and nearly taken off, scary.
I can update here when i get them fitted, if this is of any use.
Has anyone on here fitted Koni FSD ?

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
I currently have sports B4's with TDI 130/150 springs. My TDI is a 130 and came with the standard setup as far as I know.

I bought some TDI 150 springs thinking they were stiffer and different and they were exactly the same as the ones on my TDI 130!! I just put on sports B4's and the difference is great - my standard shocks were both knackered and leaking badly at the rear though when taken off. I considered the eiback springs but didnt want any lowering or loss of comfort. The sports B4s alone were exactly what i was after.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi, I know this is a really old thread, but I wondered - did you change the standard shock absorbers for Bilsteins and left your current stock springs on? Didnt realise this could be done... I am thinking about doing something similar...

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Yes exactly what I did. I still have the bilsteins on now. Have had 2 front springs snap since, but likely due to speed bumps & wear and tear. Replaced with standard ones.

Shocks are still doing well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What is it genuinely like to drive? You mention bumps.. I am trying to elimate those nasty clunky sound when I hit divits in the road, of which Derby is riddled with, not sure whether I should go the B4 route if it's going to be hard.. think i would prefer to be wallowing in the bends and saving my spinal column!

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
By the bumps I mean the general wear and tear of going over speed bumps ( calming measures) which have helped my front springs snap, much like any car really. the clunking sound you mention may be wear and tear on your bushes rather than suspension needing replaced. They fail due to age.

Mine still drives and corners just as I like it. definately not too soft or too harsh. Hardly a sports car but still comfortable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've just had the bushes done actually so hope they wouldnt be causing too much grief: TT solids on the front and VW standard ARB and rear..

The garage that did the above work, who are nursing the car back to how I want it have said it's worth having the new standard Golf GTI dampers put on and having the top mounts checked, but for the money they quote (£500 including labour) I am thinking about alternatives if the handling is a lot better!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Alex, if you're not worried about lowering your car, then standard springs with better dampers are the best way to get a reasonably comfortable yet well-controlled drive. If your budget allows it, I'd go for Koni adjustables-set the rears on 1 notch below full firmness & the fronts to suit your personal preference although I find almost fully firm works best and I live in central London where the roads are total crap!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cheers Dubster, shall bear in mind, pretty sure I'm decided the way I'm going to go, leaving it till end August to sort as it's still in reasonably good shape for now.. getting the tyres done at the same time to be honest so I am hoping for massive improvements!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes exactly what I did. I still have the bilsteins on now. Have had 2 front springs snap since, but likely due to speed bumps & wear and tear. Replaced with standard ones.

Shocks are still doing well.
Hello there,

I own a 1998 MK4 GT TDI 110BHP and I was thinking to buy the Eibach pro kit and combine it with Bilsteins B4 sport.

However, I measured the distance under my car's bonnet to the ground and found that there is a clearance of 130 mm at front and 220 mm at rear! So, the car is very low on the front but not quite at rear, and you can say this first time you look at it. Is this normal?

After reading here I am thinking a set up similar to yours. What is the difference between the PD130/150 springs and my TDI stock ones in terms of lowering/firmness?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
676 Posts
if your ride is bad, have you altered teh length of the bump stops?
I have not touch the car since I got second hand. It is sometime now I own it and I would like to improve the ride quality/steering.

The ride if fine, bit soft I would say and rolls while turning, but no any problems. I only wonder if is normal to have such a difference between front and rear suspension height.

Thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
What exactly do you mean by 'clearance'? The gap between the top of the wheel & the bottom of the arch? Because even on a standard car 13cm sounds a lot & 22cm would be crazy! Personally, I wouldn't even drive it because there must be something seriously wrong!

IMHO you need to check it over carefully as a difference in ride height of 9cm seems very wrong to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts