Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all [:)]

I currently own a Peugeot 205 TD, which I absolutely love! But the time has come for me to look for and buy a newer car.. Budget is AROUND £4k, although 5k will be pushed for a perfect exmaple, or lower mileage car etc, if one pops up at the right time. Il be looking to buy in around 2/3 months time, but I want to get a bit of info on potential cars now so I know what im looking for, and what to steer clear of!

Il quickly run through my current shortlist, and then get onto the golf side of things!

Mk4 Golf PD 130

Citroen C2 VTS HDi

Skoda Fabia VRS

Mk6 Polo TD 130 (Think its Mk6 anyway, polo 'mk's seem to be awefully messed up/confusing) This shape for reference:

And then iv had a quick look at renaults/fords/vauxhalls, but nothings impressing me much. Renault and Ford diesels both seem pants, and I havent looked into VX's much, but I hate the new shape corsa, so it'd be an astra id have to investigate..

Anyway, whatever I pick must be a diesel, and preferably sub 10 seconds to 60 (Im not a boy racer, thats just what I class as a respectable/easy to live with powered car..) and hopefully something a bit different! I hate the modern way with cars, how they all look the same and so replicated/futuristic (My reason for disliking the new corsa, it looks like a spaceship..) so a Bolf may be on the cards, or maybe just an R32 front end, cup bumper for the polo etc etc, you get my drift..

Id also like something decent to tune when I get round to it, which will probably be around August when I get my 2 years NCB. I like sound of the earlier VP engined mk4 golf, which has an ECU controlled version of a Bosch VE pump, which im already very common with! [;)] But from what ive heard so far, the PD engines are better for ease of remaps and more power. Anybody have any input on this particularly, as id love to know more..

Anyway im waffling a bit now, so all im asking for is a few opinions, I KNOWWWW your all golf/VW fanatics, but honest opions and useful input is all greatly appreciated! Thanks alot, Dan.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody else have any input on this? The forum seems to have livened up a bit since 5pm [:p]

Also, iv just noticed theres a forum for buying/selling discussion, if any mods want to move my thread over there thatd be great! [:)]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Loads of tuning potential on a PD130. Same engine as the Fabia. Not sure how much the Fabias are going for now but 4/5k will get you a really good 130 golf.

Few bad bits about the Golf if you weren't already aware:

Rubbish handling.

Interior rattles.

Sometimes not as reliable as you might be convinced.

Seem to be a common target for thieves these days - standard security is rubbish.

Lots about - there seem to be a fair few that have fallen into the chav bracket unfortunately.

Good bits.... Where to start...?! Loads of aftermarket parts available, great engines, and the best owners in the world! Don't think you'd leave the dub scence once you're in!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies chaps, some good info there.

Loads of tuning potential on a PD130. Same engine as the Fabia. Not sure how much the Fabias are going for now but 4/5k will get you a really good 130 golf.

Few bad bits about the Golf if you weren't already aware:

Rubbish handling.

Interior rattles.

Sometimes not as reliable as you might be convinced.

Seem to be a common target for thieves these days - standard security is rubbish.

Lots about - there seem to be a fair few that have fallen into the chav bracket unfortunately.

Good bits.... Where to start...?! Loads of aftermarket parts available, great engines, and the best owners in the world! Don't think you'd leave the dub scence once you're in!
The bad points, rubbish handling? Thats a bit of a bugger, never knew it was considered rubbish, although I knew it wouldnt be as sharp as a sub 1000kg car like mine. Coming from purely french cars the handling may feel very sloppy indeed. Is this usually helped by bigger wheels/lower profile tyres, and say a sensible 40mm drop on some decent springs? Or is the chassis part of the problem?

Interior rattles. Wont be worrying about them at all, my pug is FULL of them! Haha, im sure the wont be worse than my current car.

And again with the security, not to much of an issue, I live in a reasonably nice area, and iv never even thought about how bad the security, or lack of it, is on my 205.

Thanks alot for the helpful info mate, Dan.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Give up that french tat. VW's are the dogs mate. once you're in though you'll be hard pressed to go back to anything else. And don't worry about the handeling, I drive a passat, read as a large channel ferry, like I stole it on a regular bassis and once you know the car and how she'll run it's like having another girlfriend/or boyfriend depending on your prefference, and her knowing exactly what does it for you and you knowing exactly how to prod and poke her "go go" button.

Come over to the dark side luke............

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you only have 2 years NCB (and are fairly young?), and want the 130pd experience, I'd personally grab a vRS. Same engine as the mk4, lighter shell, better standard handling (but still not all that) and only group 6 or 7 insurance, compared to grp 13 for the golf (IIRC). Plus you'll get a lower mileage one for your budget than the Golf.

Personally I'd steer well clear of Citroens. They just don't compare to German stuff IMO.

But then, I may be a bit biased.... [whistle]

Posted Image

My Golf is the daily, and I nick the vRS for weekend blatting [au]

Agree with the downsides on the Golf, plus low PD sumps cause scrapes, but nowt serious. vRS is tackier in the cabin, keep-fit rear windows & not as comfy seating. Standard speakers are also way superior on the Golf [:D]

Thought about Leons? Same engine, comfier on the inside and better trim than the Fabia, plus a bit cheaper than the mk4? Sorry to add to the confusion!

Have a go in each and see what insurance is like, but I reckon your budget points to the Fab dude. Check Briskoda.net for loads of info [Y]

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a Golf TDi, it's my second one after having the 115 hp one originally. I like to think of the 130/150 models as the revised versions of the PD lumps, here's lots of little engine differences which in theory make the car a bit tougher and things.

Good point about the vRS being lighter in weight and insurance too, I haddn't thought of that when buying my car, wish I'd done that now before shelling out on my car! Ah well.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have a Golf TDi, it's my second one after having the 115 hp one originally. I like to think of the 130/150 models as the revised versions of the PD lumps, here's lots of little engine differences which in theory make the car a bit tougher and things.

Good point about the vRS being lighter in weight and insurance too, I haddn't thought of that when buying my car, wish I'd done that now before shelling out on my car! Ah well.
Yep, the 130/150 engine has alot of improvements over a 115. There's alot to change if you want decent power on a 115 apart from the turbo. If you get a 130 though, it already has all the big pipework, injectors, etc of the 150 ARL. Apart from the FMIC and vb turbo there's not much between them. Deffo go 130 or 150 if you're wanting to tune.

Forgot another plus point - you can get 8" speakers in the front doors with no more than an adapter![H] On a 3 door at least, not sure about a 5 door.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.