Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Looking to get myself a 7/8 seater vehicle for weekends away etc, i know the following are 7/8 Seaters, anyone know of any more?

I like the idea of the Caravelle or Sharan, but was wondering if there was anything else i can go for, has to be diesel. Do you own one? if so, how does it drive, whats it like on petrol etc?

VW Sharan

VW Caravelle

Ford Galaxy

Renault Espace

Toyota Hiace/Liteace

Kia Sedona

MB ML320 (Some have 7 seats)

Mitsubishi Wagon

Peugeot 80x

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a Vr6 Sharan which i love, its an older model 1998, automatic and juicy (avg 19/20 mpg) but fantastic to drive. I use it many for work so its going up for sale as i need a diesel van but it will be missed. Also its dearer to insure than my 2.3 v5 golf.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Friends have got the Vauxhall thingy, GSi version in Blue - Poo'ed my pants when I drove it in the south of France last year, took off like a rocket and we were 7 up at the time (I was dedicated driver for the night due to loosing at spoof!)...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My brother in law has a Kia Sedona - nastly plastics inside and a bit wallowy to drive, but loads of space for cheap money and a decent diesel engine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you can make do with 7 seats and not a huge amount of boot space when loaded with people, perhaps try looking for large estate - Volvo V70, Merc E-Class. As a dealer fitted option, they could have two rear facing seats.

Other than that, it really depends on your budget. I'd probably be looking for a late, old model Galaxy. For best economy, go for the 1.9 TD Zetec (115 PS) probably on a 03/03 or 03/53 plate. I think they also did a 130 PS but they tend to be higher spec Ghia models but tend to cost more and not give you much more kit.

This looks pretty good, although I'd think about buying privately and perhaps looking for something with slightly lower miles for this price. Be careful that you're not buying a former taxi and you should get a well kitted, economical and decent looking people carrier for the money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Galaxy-Turbo-Diesel-1-9TD-Zetec-7-Seats-2003-03_W0QQitemZ320061959184QQihZ011QQcategoryZ9844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck with it and I'd be interested to know what you choose.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Vauxhall zafira, we have one its a good car before anyone slates it its had ALOT less problems than the golf, go and drive them as the dynamics on all these cars are very different.....

Also what a bout a 7 seat discovery

·
Registered
894 Posts
The Ford S Max is picking up good reviews at the moment, it is probably the best looking people carrier and is supposed to be a great drive.

·
Registered
555 Posts
i had one of these,very nice daddy cool!2.0 dti sri

Posted Image

Posted Image

best looking mpv in my view,would have prefered gsi but i need better fuel economy

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My experience......

Had an MB ML320 7 seater - it wallows like a barge in a storm - unless your rear two passengers are midgets (& you don't want to carry luggage at the same time!), you've got a Huuuuuge wallet (for the fuel) and another budget for the tyres and brakes (it's heavy remember) and (yes finally!) you can put up with build quality akin to an old BL Metro.... (I sold mine after a few months) The diesel ML270 CDi is an alternative, but it's rough when it's cold.

Ford S-Max - hired one the other week in the Alps for a ski weekend - great to drive, good feel, plenty of space definitely get the diesel as the 2.0 petrol was gutless for the size of the car - ours wasn't a 7 seater so can't comment on that. Worst thing was the blind spot caused by the double A pillars - couldn't see where to position the car on hairpins and consequently gave a few French drivers a bit of a scare!

VW Sharan - had a 1.9 tdi which we used as an on-event crew bus a few years ago at work. Great space, good engine, comapratively good to drive considering the size and carried 7 adults easily. Not massive boot when full of people but useable.

Chrysler Voyager - friends own one - see comments above, but to add to that the diesel engine is rough, petrol ones guzzle fuel etc etc.

Good luck in the search - if it was my choice I'd look closely at the Zafira - not heard a bad thing about them and the Sharalaxy (Sharan, Alhambra, Galaxy) or as mentioned if you've got two kids to go in the back an E Class/Volvo with the back fold up seats is a good choice too.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm

Looks like VW or Land Rover would be the best deal, the best MPG would be the Sharan, followed closely by the Galaxy and Alhambra. Just found out that a mate has the Kia Sedona, hes only had it for 2 years and says its falling apart already. Dont like Voyager, too juicy for my likings.

The Land Rover Discovery with the 7 seat option is a very good one, got a feeling its either that or the Sharan. I am ultimately looking at MPG as the main factor for choosing one or the other, 45MPG from a Sharan sounds good, though the Discovery says 34.xMPG. Can use the Discovery as a daily drive as well, and wont be seen as a cabbie etc.

<TABLE class="" style="WIDTH: 244pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=325 border=0 x:str>

[TR]
[TD]Vehicle[/TD]
[TD]Price[/TD]
[TD]MPG[/TD]
[TD]Engine Size[/TD][/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Chrysler Voyager[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>9000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>29.4[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>2.9[/TD][/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kia Sedona[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>7000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>34.4[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>2.5[/TD][/TR]
[TR]
[TD]VW Caravelle[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>11000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>35.3[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>2.5[/TD][/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Seat Alhambra[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>8000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>37.2[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>1.9[/TD][/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Renault Espace[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>7000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>38.2[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>1.9[/TD][/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Vauxhall Zafira[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>6000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>39.2[/TD]
[TR]
[TD]Ford galaxy[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>6000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>42.8[/TD]
[TR]
[TD]Toyota Lite Ace[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>10000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>43.04[/TD]
[TR]
[TD]VW Sharan[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>9000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>43.5[/TD]
[TR]
[TD]Land Rover Discovery[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>14000[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>34[/TD]
<TD class="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>2.7[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Those are what i figured from each companies websites, and the Sharan sort of wins hands down. Relatively cheap compared to the others and still can use my VAG-COM cables to check for faults. Get a remap and intake and the thing should fly. The galaxy doesnt seem bad, although cheaper, its still got a VW engine in it. Unless they have started using the Volvo engines now, and at 3k cheaper than the equivalent Sharan, doesnt seem bad at all. These are all for a 53 plate with around 35k miles on them.

Still not totally sure what to get, but once i do finally decide, i'll post some pics up.

Thanks to everyone whos replied, information very much welcome.

Hafizur

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Odd those mileage figures given that the Alhambra and Sharan use the same VW Engines.

The Mark I Galaxy is very much a VW underneath, one of the guys here has one for his Mrs and when the Instrument Cluster went wrong Ford sent him to VW for them to replace it and code his keys LOL. 2.3 V5 Version.

·
Registered
528 Posts
We have a  X plate Galaxy, 1.9. I have to say it is a very good motor. Very practical as you can take out as many seats out as you want. Quite spacious aswell. Theres also the Toyota Previa but I don't know the price range on them.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Discovery of the age you're looking at is the 2.5 BMW engine. A good choice, very torquey and responds well to a re-map (my father has one and even he's chipped it!). Like you say won't look like a taxi driver and won't feel like a van when you drive it on your own.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
From experience

Stay away from the Fiat Ulysee/Peugeot/Citroen equivilents, terrible drive, but forever breaking and faulty.

I'd also say stay away from Espaces from experience.

Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra is a good choice. TDi and fruity petrols available, and I happen to think a Alhambra Sport in black is the best looking MPV about.

Zafira, OK, but not me. GSI is hot, but you pay for the privilege

Another oddball i'll throw in here....Fiat Multipla. Horrible looking thing, plain jane, but a brilliant drive and very versatile, and available at a good price. JTD engines are excellent.

Jap stuff, usual reliability, but watch out for smokey ropey old imported rubbish.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Espace has to be the most upmarket MPV you can get - almost like a Golf for being classless. I had a Grand Espace with the early 2.2dt engine and it was a great cruiser and huuuuuuuuge - but underpowered. If you could find a later 2.2dci with the 150(?) bhp engine and high spec then you'd have a seriously cool mode of transport. Expect big bills when they go wrong though - and it will go wrong....

But characterful, stylish and good image.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts