Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored the other day, so i gutted the interior, and did this. (along with all the other cream bits)

Posted Image

Ive been meaning to do it for months. It will all go back in once the car is back from the bodyshop in a few weeks. So for now my car sounds and looks like a rally car from the inside!!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that painted velour mike? or painted plastic and if so what did you use?
Its painted with black (obviously) fabric dye. Its really easy to apply and to be honest, you cant go wrong as when your spraying the fabric it just soaks it all up. Just gotta make sure you do it evenly so it doesnt make it look patchy. I was very cautious about doing this for ages, and it takes a lot to impress me, and i must say im VERY happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Mike, that looks superb - well done mate!

Would you mind saying which spray dye you have used as like yourself I have been planning doing this too. Many thanks, Pat

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I spent about a month looking for spray on fabric dye, the only stuff i found was in the states and no one could ship it over for me because the cans are pressurised, where did you find yours?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Hi Mike
I think you should read the thread on the Vortex about the spray on method. If you read the entire thread you'll find that it all went a bit wrong and only lasted about 2 months.
Baz

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Mike
I think you should read the thread on the Vortex about the spray on method. If you read the entire thread you'll find that it all went a bit wrong and only lasted about 2 months.
Baz
Well its been well over 2 months now and there is no sign at all of it going wrong or turning grey or patchy. It all looks as good as the day i sprayed it all up. The pillars have had direct hits of sunshine too in the recent hot weather and its totally perfect.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The A pillar post I did has been in the car for about the same length of time as yours Mike, and it still looks exactly the same aswell. Just need to make time to do the rest of it!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hi guys what have you been using for this as i want to have a go on my grey trim as it is starting to get a little dirty with the kids i have been thinking of using regular matt black spray paint how dya think it would go cheers

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plastikote BBQ spray paint is best. Smells for a few days inside the car once its all been re-fitted, but it does go away.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mike were you not able to do the trim on the door rubbers?
in that pic they were not done, but they have been done now. Simply took the rubber seals off, and i masked the rubber off and spray painted the trim.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts