Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As there seems to be so many posts & discussions about service
regimes please read the following.........this is what VW state so if
any one tells you different then they're talking rubbish

• All cars come from the factory set for Longlife
  • The minimum mileage before a service is due is 10k
  • The maximum time between services is 24 months or 20k miles for both petrol & diesel
  • To get the benefit from Longlife servicing you need to be doing
    approx 25 miles per day, of which are longer journeys at a constant
    speed
  • This information applies to 05 models cars onwards

Any chance of making this a Sticky mods??

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
.....this is what VW state so if any one tells you different then they're talking rubbish
Maybe, but they also state (on page 27 of their current 1st June 2005 brochure for the 2006 model Golf):

"Service Intervals for Petrol and Diesel Engines The
LongLife Service regime is so called because there are no set service
intervals. The intervals between services, depending on how you drive
your vehicle and the conditions of use, can be anywhere from 9,000
miles up to 18,000 miles* or 24 months (whichever is soonest). The
Service Interval Display in the instrument panel will indicate when a
service is required.

* All mileages are approximate as the system uses kilometres as the distance measure."

This at odds with the info in the price list of 1.8.05 which states 10,000 and 20,000!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was published after the 1st of June..........thats why I said what I said...........this is how the Longlife Service regime now works.........PERIOD.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
.....this is what VW state so if any one tells you different then they're talking rubbish
Maybe, but they also state (on page 27 of their current 1st June 2005 brochure for the 2006 model Golf):

"Service Intervals for Petrol and Diesel Engines The LongLife Service regime is so called because there are no set service intervals. The intervals between services, depending on how you drive your vehicle and the conditions of use, can be anywhere from 9,000 miles up to 18,000 miles* or 24 months (whichever is soonest). The Service Interval Display in the instrument panel will indicate when a service is required.

* All mileages are approximate as the system uses kilometres as the distance measure."

This at odds with the info in the price list of 1.8.05 which states 10,000 and 20,000!
9,000 miles/18,000 miles OR 10,000 miles/20,000 miles - Christ all mighty, does it matter???? I'll have my car serviced before my 2 year period is up and or when the on-board computer tell me to - I think!

[:p][;)]

·
Registered
591 Posts
As there seems to be so many posts & discussions about service regimes please read the following.........this is what VW state so if any one tells you different then they're talking rubbish

• All cars come from the factory set for Longlife
  • The minimum mileage before a service is due is 10k
  • The maximum time between services is 24 months or 20k miles for both petrol & diesel
  • To get the benefit from Longlife servicing you need to be doing approx 25 miles per day, of which are longer journeys at a constant speed
  • This information applies to 05 models cars onwards
I realise that (approximately) 20,000 miles is what VW is stating is the maximum interval now (from their pricelist dated 1st August 2005). But they previously said the maximum was (approximately) 18,000 miles.

I believe my Mk V acheives the maximum interval between services and has reported about 18,600 miles between services twice now.

Are newer Mk Vs able to go slightly longer than this between services or, as I suspect, VW are again misleading potential buyers by saying the maximum service interval is about 20,000 miles when it is actually only 18,600 miles?

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason it was changed was because it was confusing to the customer

The Longlife oil that comes in all VW (except Lupo) from the factory is designed to last up to 30k

Now I dont know if there has been any modification to any software/sensors etc in the newer models for the new 20k maximum but the majority of MKV's that we have had in have all been approx 18k for there first service

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is it confusing??

I never said that the max a MKV can do is 18 600 miles, i just said the ones we have had in so far have been approx 18k

The info in my post is for 05 models onewards, the ones we have had in so far have been mostly 04 models, so it will be about 12-18 month till most of our 05 model cars will be in for service

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes you're probably right. My 2005 Golf Mk.V 1.9 TDI SE came up at 18,660 for the first 'longlife regime' service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I called VW customer service today to complain that I feel mislead about not achieving anywhere near 30k service intervals. They insisted that my 54 plate 2.0tdi would be able to achieve 30k between services given long drives, steady speed etc. Their insistance continued even after I pointed out that they have since amended the 2006 pricelist to state 20k service intervals could be achieved.

I pointed out that I will only get 18500 miles before i need a service and my driving sounds similar to the parameters they stated to achieve 30k intervals.

They suggested I get my local dealer to check the car over to see if it was 'ok'. I know my car is 'ok' and that it ws the false information produced my VW that was the problem.

I called my dealer for a chat, they said that all MKV Golfs they have serviced have only achieved 17k>21k between services, none were near 30k. I then called VW UK customer services again and they asked for my dealer to speak with the technical dept at VW UK. So, sometime next week i should be getting a call for an update to my 'case'.

I will keep you posted...

Oh... if anyone wants to add their name to my cause please send me a PM with your name and registration of the car as it all adds backup to the case. I am about to send an email to BBC Watchdog, VW may have some more bad press (remember the watchdog case on the faulty coil packs for the previous golfs, passats etc?????)

·
Registered
34 Posts
heh you must really hate your engine to want to leave it 30k between oil changes.

oil is cheap, and changing it is a simple procedure...worth the extra $$ for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont see whay VW dont do what other manufacturers do & have to SIMPLE choices

• 1 year or 10k miles
  • 2years or 18k miles

None of this Variable,may come on between 10-20k, all depends how you drive etc etc

I get fed up trying to explain it to customers day in day out how it all works[8o|]

·
Registered
591 Posts
I called VW customer service today to complain that I feel mislead about not achieving anywhere near 30k service intervals. They insisted that my 54 plate 2.0tdi would be able to achieve 30k between services given long drives, steady speed etc. Their insistance continued even after I pointed out that they have since amended the 2006 pricelist to state 20k service intervals could be achieved.

I pointed out that I will only get 18500 miles before i need a service and my driving sounds similar to the parameters they stated to achieve 30k intervals.

They suggested I get my local dealer to check the car over to see if it was 'ok'. I know my car is 'ok' and that it ws the false information produced my VW that was the problem.

I called my dealer for a chat, they said that all MKV Golfs they have serviced have only achieved 17k>21k between services, none were near 30k. I then called VW UK customer services again and they asked for my dealer to speak with the technical dept at VW UK. So, sometime next week i should be getting a call for an update to my 'case'.

I will keep you posted...
You should be able to get some concession from them. The case is pretty clear. They said for nearly a year that the Mk V could go 30,000 miles between services and it obviously can't. Even their dealers know this. Just tell them like I did that this long service interval was one of the reasons why you bought the car in the first place and you feel lied-to. I did this and two letters later ended up with a free service. No-where near the cost of the extra servicing but a concession none-the-less. Checkout http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/vwgolfmk5_washing_vwcs_success.php for more info.

After my dealings with VW Customer Assistance I felt re-assured that they had just made an honest mistake with the 30,000 mile claim and they did indeed correct their literature down to approximately 18,000 miles. But recently they've shifted it back up to 20,000 miles and I haven't heard of anyone who has achieved this. I was surprised to hear that your dealer thinks they've had some cars which have gone 21,000 miles. If this is true why can't your and my car?

All this quoting of different maximum service intervals is confusing.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MKIV Golfs/Polos/B5.5 Passats diesels can do up to 30k, but i cant see VW just asuming that the new modesl will be able to do the same, there must have been some research/tests on the new engines to confirm that the new engines could do 30k

But as we know they dont so somewhere along the chain there seems to be a big **** up someone.........

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
ul

I dont see whay VW dont do what other manufacturers do & have to SIMPLE choices

• 1 year or 10k miles
  • 2years or 18k miles

None of this Variable,may come on between 10-20k, all depends how you drive etc etc

I get fed up trying to explain it to customers day in day out how it all works[8o|]
One problem I can forsee, is that when I have had my car three years I'll have to have an MOT test and of course this will not be able to be done with the annual service (that I used to have done on all my other cars) because in all probability, the Variable Service will need to be done either sooner/later than the car's third anniversary.

Perhaps, with my low annual mileage i.e. about 6k/year I'd be better off changing to the non-variable service and then I could have more frequent oil changes rather than trying to make a sumpfull of oil, despite, allegedly being so advanced, stay so long before being replaced which I don't think is a very good idea and is not my idea of progress when you think you can drop off at a lot of motor factors and have that old oil emptied and replaced while-u-wait!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dumping oil when you don't need it is really bad for the environment. If the oil manufacturer says they will last longer then it probabably will.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Dumping oil when you don't need it is really bad for the environment. If the oil manufacturer says they will last longer then it probabably will.
That is a rather naive statement to make IMHO, if you don't mind me saying so. I am not advocating the wholesale dumping of oil, unnecessarily.

Just because the manufacturer has deemed it, such that oil interval changes should be longer, doesn't mean that this is better for my car, where a lower than average mileage is the order of the day.

To my mind there is no substitute for regular oil changes despite the improvements that have, no doubt, been made to oil formulations. To some, however, frequent visits to the garage are inconvenient, especially if they do in excess of, say,12k to 15k per annum.

I would much rather us/we be dumping oil, rather than nuclear waste!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Can I also add that my Oct 05 GT TDi showed me needing a service at 9000 miles.........

........so I pumped 60 quids worth of oil into the lump after draining the old stuff, changed the filter and the dealer (tech) did me reset......to no avail !!!

THEN i find out that the instrument cluster has the wrong firmware and can't understand "VSI" code that the ECU's talking !!!

The cluster was then flashed with new firmware and all was well......except I was 60 quid out of pocket !! (having said that, I like an oil change at the first 10k on a new car).

1 - 20 of 193 Posts