Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from holiday to a letter from my dealer reminding me the car is on long life regime.

Says miles between service can be:

Diesel (3&4 cylinders) max 30k miles or 2 years

Diesel V6 max 22k miles

Petrol engines (all) 20k miles or 2 years.

Bizarre how this keeps changing[:$] My car at 12.5k miles is saying service will be at 19k miles.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and 19k... your obviously not driving it rite [;)]lol
What are you looking at Chris?

My car hardly ever gets driven hard, my wife drives it half the time and she is sooooooooo gentle [:D]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its just the Km to miles conversion error that some dealers have obviously not picked up on - again!
What do you mean?

Miles are different for different engines whereas when the mkV was released they quoted 30k miles for all versions of the car.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
the guys at work when his light came on.  He has a 2004 Touran 1.9 diesel.  He is on 36,000 Miles and has not had his light on yet.  I told him to call the dealer pretty sharpish.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the guys at work when his light came on. He has a 2004 Touran 1.9 diesel. He is on 36,000 Miles and has not had his light on yet. I told him to call the dealer pretty sharpish.
36k before the 1st service, bet his oil is a like tar!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Its just the Km to miles conversion error that some dealers have obviously not picked up on - again!
What do you mean?

Miles are different for different engines whereas when the mkV was released they quoted 30k miles for all versions of the car.
Ken, all Golfs are now advised as 18,000 miles maximum service interval (there is no V6 diesel in the Golf range). Early technical material and brochures suggested that customers could get up to 30,000 miles between services and many used this amazing claim as part of their purchasing decision. This was, of course, a riduculous suggestion as in reality 18k to 19k seemd to be the actual intervals achieved. Then someone pointed out that European material listed the interval as 30,000 km. The obvious conclusion being that VW UK forgot to do the conversion as 30,000 km, equates to about 18,000miles! VW UK no longer suggests that 30,000 miles is achievable but advises, in their current literature, a figure of between 9,000 and 18,000 miles (or up to 24 months) depending on the use of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
the guys at work when his light came on. He has a 2004 Touran 1.9 diesel. He is on 36,000 Miles and has not had his light on yet. I told him to call the dealer pretty sharpish.
36k before the 1st service, bet his oil is a like tar!
The worrying thing is, no service warning. I hope his waranty is not affected. It was VW's mistake. His service manual does not say any maximum miles, only 2 years or when the light comes on.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The fact that this subject keeps coming up is worrying, I'm thinking I'll just get it serviced every 10k just like every car I've owned.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Mine's due at 17,600 iirc, checked the other day - maybe I'm a ragger compared to you civilised gentlemen? [;)]

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I had my MKV gti the dealer told me the first service was at 10000 miles as the car was not on the longlife service intervals. I take it it's up to individual dealers how the car is set? It also said this on the windscreen sticker and the service book had been changed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts