Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to lay up their car for some months? If so, how long did you leave it without regular use, what precautions did you take and did it suffer in any way?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Jack car up to preserve the tyres.

Hold clutch peddle in to prevent it siezing.

Handbrake off, if the car is on axle stands.

Don't keep too much petrol in.

Allow the garage it is in to be vented.

Trickle charging the battery is a debate (I personally would not bother)

I am sure other will add more. Your best best would be search on classic car websites.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
My V5 was laid up for a maximum of 6 weeks whilst I was in Japan.

All I did was leave a minimum amount of petrol in her, then wash and placed in the garage.

When in the garage I left it out of gear and without the handbrake, though chocked the wheels to prevent it rolling.

I also didn't lock the car as I'm delocked and didn't want to run the risk of a flat battery, as I had placed the front of the car towards the garage door incase of requiring a jump start.

Each time after returning from Japan the car started first time so I would treat her to a tank of fuel and a 30 mile run to blow the cob webs out, and not had any problems.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You obviously heard your name mentioned! [:D] Thanks.

May have to spend some extended periods in the UK next year so I'm wondering what to do about cars and such.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the $64,000 question at the moment - everything is up in the air and I'm having to look at all sorts of possibilities. Don't think I'd want to be away for more than 3 months at a stretch if I can help it. Will have to decide whether to jack up and support it or get someone to drive it every now and again. In addition to the battery I would guess that possible issues might be wheel bearings, tyres, sticking handbrake cable and mould inside due to the humid climate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I stick mine in the garage for 4 to 5 months at a time. I'm only home for 2 months at a time.

Just take the battery inside (keep it warm)

Good clean and dry

Spray WD40 everywhere

Car cover

Never had a problem..... apart from missing it..

·
Registered
722 Posts
I left mine for 6 months last year, away a lot somewhere hot and sunny, but keep your head down!

I washed the car, usually leave it with fresh oil in, put a sheet over it and fit a battery optimiser, trickle charge the battery. Had no problems at all, always started first time, thats the longest i have left it, but 2-3months on several occasions.

Always cash the tax in as well!

Dave

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Things are a little different here - no MOT and tax refunds are a hassle and are only paid out if you seek a refund within 3 months of getting it taxed. Have to write a letter to the Ministry of Finance for a refund on what is about 75 UKP at current exchange rates. Might be worth talking to the insurance company though.

Battery optimiser might be a good idea in this climate. I know my Lancia one won't start the car if I leave it for about a month.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Did this last winter (2 months) with the Elise: Also we do it for 10 months a year with a car in Spain.

Basically:

1. Trickle charger or disconnect

2. Blow up tyres to 44psi (or on axle stands) to prevent flat spotting

3. Full petrol tank (less means there is chance for moisture to form which can lead to water in petrol which could rust a tank out (if metal) and cause poor running.

4. Make sure properly cleaned (underside too)and fully dried.

5. Leave out of gear and handbrake off.

thats about it really.

Had no probs with the Elise last year and the car in Spain (similarly hot humid climate) is champion with a charged up battery, off it goes again (its 11 years old only done 15000kms [:O])

·
Registered
283 Posts
I left mine for 8 months when I went to New Zealand. Was parked in someone's garden and they ran it every now and again to keep it from rusting up the brakes and to stop anyhting seizing.

Doesn't do the wheel bearings any favours as I had to replace two within a couple of months of coming home. Might have been coincidence though.

My mum has b*ggered off to Africa for a year and has left me the keys to her Z4!! I'll plan to just run it every couple of weeks and take it for a decent enough run to get everything up to temp, making sure the brakes get a good seeing too - oh and have some fun too!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by pope1 on 20/12/2004 18:54:45

Ricardo, what about windows? Do you leave them completely closed or have a slight gap? I'm assuming that the car is garaged.

for the spanish one the drivers window is left slightly open, to allow any damp air to escape. Our cupbaords smell musty after the winter and the car suffers none of this. Yup car garaged

Chesney, cant understand why it would cause a problem for the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Ricardo. I know that musty cupboard smell very well and I've even had mould growing on leather shoes and belts that I don't wear very often. Totally gross. I've put a couple of low wattage heaters in my clothing cupboards now to help keep the air dry. They are designed for continuous use and consume about 12W each.

Apparently, wheel bearings on some cars can suffer if the car is left in one position for too long. Suspect that it affects some cars more than others. The solution is either to support the weight of the car to take the load off the bearings or have the car moved every now and again. Have not experienced it myself but that's what I've heard!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts