Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Longest lasting wax?

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  tylerama 
#1 ·
I have tried a few different waxes and tend to now use Turtle Wax Platinum car wax. It contains carnauba wax and is easy and quick to apply. (also smells great!)

I am finding that although I get a great finish using this wax, when it comes to a wash the following week, I get litle or no water beading. To me, this suggests that the wax has worn off. (I do a lot of miles and the car is constantly covered in traffic film - I dont know if this makes a difference by drying the wax out or something)

Now today I bought some 'Protective Extra Gloss' from the same Turtle wax platinum series, which is designed to be applied after the wax. I am hoping this will give me a longer lasting wax seal.

My question is - how long does your wax coat last for? Do you still get beading for several weeks after application, or am I expecting too much from the wax?

Cheers

#3 ·
You get beading after 6 months?!

I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps this extra gloss stuff will make a difference. I have just applied it and its looking good.

I definately dont get beading after a week when I apply the wax by itself.

What about you other guys? How long does P21-S wax last?

#5 ·
Try a more permanent covering such as diamond brite.

I used diamond brite (sourced for 10 quid from ebay.co.uk) on my mums brand new pepper white cooper, have to say the stuff really does give a long lasting compound effect and for the price, its a steel!

I will be applying the leftovers to my Mk5 GTi when it comes next week !!!

#7 ·
Diamondbrite sounds like the stuff I need.

Where can I buy it from other than ebay?

Also, are there different types to choose from?

I have also read that the Clearkote moose hand glaze is really good stuff for hiding swirls. Can I put Diamondbrite on top of this hand glaze? Can I put P21-s wax on top?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm about to place an order for a load of detailing products online (getting bored of the Halfords range)

#9 ·
I have also read that the Clearkote moose hand glaze is really good stuff for hiding swirls. Can I put Diamondbrite on top of this hand glaze? Can I put P21-s wax on
No... Diamondbrite must be applied to clean, unwaxed panels otherwise it'll just come right off. It's designed to bond to the top coat, much stronger than waxes.

Have a read of this: http://www.clean-image.co.uk/paintsealant/index.htm

#16 ·
I get beading for up to 6 months after an application of Swissol Shield wax, for that reason I only wax the car twice a year.
Remind us again how often you use your car and where it spends most of its time [:p]
Good point. If its kept in a nice clean garage then even my wax would last 6 months.

Unfortunately, having driven 18k miles in 5 months through rain/snow/truck-muck then my wax gets a bit of a bashing!

#20 ·
For a long lasting beading effect avoid any wax with carnuaba in it, carnuaba evaporates quickly, even in low heat.

What you need is to seal the paint with an acrylic sealant, like Menzerna FMJ or Klasse Sealant Glaze, then top it with Collinite 476, which is designed for canadian winters, so its very hardy & long lasting.

I did this on my missus Corsa last october & it was still beading up very nice at xmas, she does about 300 m'ways a week .

#21 ·
I have been using the Megs Carnuba and was impressed with the results. So if Menzerna FMJ or Klasse Sealant Glaze is much better where can I get some of this from?

Also why does it need a top up with Collinite 476? (Dumb person asking dumb questions I know!)

#22 ·
It;s not that its "better" >

See below:

Carnauba Wax
Carnauba comes from the fronds of the "tree of life" (Copernicia cerifera) native to Brazil. It is nature's hardest, purest and most transparent wax. Carnauba car waxes tend to produce a deeper, darker, richer shine that is often described as "three-dimensional."

Many enthusiasts and show car owners prefer the shine of carnauba waxes, especially on black, red and other dark colors. Carnauba waxes bead water nicely, absorb the acid content in rain, and hide minor swirls in the paint. My personal favorite is P21S Carnauba Wax, a true show car wax. Compared with other show car waxes, P21S Carnauba Wax is very modestly priced and compares favorably.

On the minus side, carnauba waxes are not as durable as synthetic waxes or sealants. Depending on your climate, a carnauba wax might last between 30 and 60 days. Additionally, some carnauba waxes can be temperamental, occasionally streaking under certain temperature or humidity conditions.

With the limitations of carnauba wax, you might be asking why it continues to have a loyal following. In my own case, I continue to use P21S Carnauba Wax to pamper my show car because I like the way it looks. On my toy, durability is secondary.

Synthetic Waxes
While car enthusiasts love carnauba waxes for the way they make highly polished paint look wet, like a calm pool of water, they would appreciate more durability. Simply put, carnauba waxes quickly evaporate when your car is in the hot sun. The average melting temperature of a carnauba wax is about 180 degrees (f).

To make a true wax coating more durable, some chemists have turned to synthetic waxes that mimic the valued properties of natural carnauba, but greatly improve on the limitations. One such wax is Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, which is easily the most durable wax product I have found. Super Resin Polish is a thin liquid, which allows it to be applied very quickly and with little to no rubbing required. Buffing off is also a breeze, and reveals a bright, shiny, slick surface that will bead water and look great for 4 to 6 months.

Paint Sealants
[/B]Made from modern polymers or acrylic resins, synthetic waxes offer excellent durability and ease of application. Quality synthetic waxes have been known to last 6 to 9 months or longer, and typically wipe on and off very easily. Most synthetic waxes create a very bright, mirror-like shine.

On the down side, many enthusiasts feel synthetic waxes lack depth and richness. Black cars can look a little sterile or silvery in the direct sunlight. And, some polymers can collect minor swirls and or highlight paint flaws.

I personally prefer acrylic sealants over polymer sealants. The polymer sealants are becoming more and more common due to the low cost of silicone polymers. I like the acrylics because the acrylic resin molecule is heavier than polymer strands, which I feel allows acrylic sealants to do a better job of hiding minor paint flaws. I also find that acrylics have a more natural look and are less likely to cloud the paint.

The king of acrylic resin sealants is Klasse. The Klasse products include a cleaner and sealant in one, called Klasse All-In-One and a pure sealant called Klasse Sealant Glaze. Klasse All-In-One is a one-step product that gently cleans and polishes your paint as it protects with the patented Klasse acrylic formula. A single coat of Klasse All-In-One provides 4-6 months of protection. For even more protection and paint finish beauty, you can add one or more coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze, which does not contain cleaners or polish. Klasse Sealant Glaze is pure acrylic resin.

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=51

#24 ·
I have tried a few different waxes and tend to now use Turtle Wax Platinum car wax. It contains carnauba wax and is easy and quick to apply. (also smells great!)

Now today I bought some 'Protective Extra Gloss' from the same Turtle wax platinum series, which is designed to be applied after the wax. I am hoping this will give me a longer lasting wax seal.
Just in case anyone was interested in the outcome of the protective gloss..

Last week, washed, claybared and waxed both our MK5 and MK4. On the MK5 I applied a coating of my new TW Platinum protective extra gloss.

A week on and the MK4's wax has all worn off and the finish feels dry. However, the MK5 is beading up a treat and still looks great! The protective gloss really does seal in the wax.

QUESTION:

When I next come to wash the car - do I re-apply the wax, or just top up the protective gloss layer?

Thanks

#25 ·

Just in case anyone was interested in the outcome of the protective gloss..

Last week, washed, claybared and waxed both our MK5 and MK4. On the MK5 I applied a coating of my new TW Platinum protective extra gloss.

A week on and the MK4's wax has all worn off and the finish feels dry. However, the MK5 is beading up a treat and still looks great! The protective gloss really does seal in the wax.

QUESTION:

When I next come to wash the car - do I re-apply the wax, or just top up the protective gloss layer?

Thanks
'Protective gloss' to me sounds like a man made sealant going over a natural wax in the platinum car wax. I'd say with a good sealant such as klasse, that dry feeling won't return too quickly. Mine was sealed a couple of weeks back and it still feels smooth and glossy. I would say top up the protective gloss layer when you next wash it. Pour some clean water over it before and see how well it beads. If you think it needs re doing, then do so.

What waxes have you tried by the way ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.