Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried a few different waxes and tend to now use Turtle Wax Platinum car wax. It contains carnauba wax and is easy and quick to apply. (also smells great!)

I am finding that although I get a great finish using this wax, when it comes to a wash the following week, I get litle or no water beading. To me, this suggests that the wax has worn off. (I do a lot of miles and the car is constantly covered in traffic film - I dont know if this makes a difference by drying the wax out or something)

Now today I bought some 'Protective Extra Gloss' from the same Turtle wax platinum series, which is designed to be applied after the wax. I am hoping this will give me a longer lasting wax seal.

My question is - how long does your wax coat last for? Do you still get beading for several weeks after application, or am I expecting too much from the wax?

Cheers

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I get beading for up to 6 months after an application of Swissol Shield wax, for that reason I only wax the car twice a year.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You get beading after 6 months?!

I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps this extra gloss stuff will make a difference. I have just applied it and its looking good.

I definately dont get beading after a week when I apply the wax by itself.

What about you other guys? How long does P21-S wax last?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Synthetic waxes last much longer than carnauba waxes. The Turtle Wax Gloss Guard is good stuff, put that on after the wax and it'll give extra protection. I guess Protective Extra Gloss is a similar or more advanced version of the same.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Try a more permanent covering such as diamond brite.

I used diamond brite (sourced for 10 quid from ebay.co.uk) on my mums brand new pepper white cooper, have to say the stuff really does give a long lasting compound effect and for the price, its a steel!

I will be applying the leftovers to my Mk5 GTi when it comes next week !!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If you use anything like Diamondbrite or Supaguard, you have to strip all the wax off first otherwise the stuff won't bond properly, but once applied it really does work well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Diamondbrite sounds like the stuff I need.

Where can I buy it from other than ebay?

Also, are there different types to choose from?

I have also read that the Clearkote moose hand glaze is really good stuff for hiding swirls. Can I put Diamondbrite on top of this hand glaze? Can I put P21-s wax on top?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm about to place an order for a load of detailing products online (getting bored of the Halfords range)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Try collinite from serious performance.co.uk.  6 months plus with that.  Superb stuff. Seals and protects for ages !

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I have also read that the Clearkote moose hand glaze is really good stuff for hiding swirls. Can I put Diamondbrite on top of this hand glaze? Can I put P21-s wax on
No... Diamondbrite must be applied to clean, unwaxed panels otherwise it'll just come right off. It's designed to bond to the top coat, much stronger than waxes.

Have a read of this: http://www.clean-image.co.uk/paintsealant/index.htm

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I use Turtle Wax "wax it wet" - very quick and easy. Wash the car & spray on, then microfibre off.

Beads up lovely [Y] and lasts well

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I get beading for up to 6 months after an application of Swissol Shield wax, for that reason I only wax the car twice a year.
Remind us again how often you use your car and where it spends most of its time [:p]
Good point. If its kept in a nice clean garage then even my wax would last 6 months.

Unfortunately, having driven 18k miles in 5 months through rain/snow/truck-muck then my wax gets a bit of a bashing!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Remind us again how often you use your car and where it spends most of its time [:p]
I think you may well have a point there!!
Garaged every day and night and used for 8K a year.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I got some collinite, as when it comes to appling wax i'm Mr.Lazy.

So lazy in fact i've not touched it.....[:$]
Same here [:$]

Must summon up some effort......................

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
For a long lasting beading effect avoid any wax with carnuaba in it, carnuaba evaporates quickly, even in low heat.

What you need is to seal the paint with an acrylic sealant, like Menzerna FMJ or Klasse Sealant Glaze, then top it with Collinite 476, which is designed for canadian winters, so its very hardy & long lasting.

I did this on my missus Corsa last october & it was still beading up very nice at xmas, she does about 300 m'ways a week .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts