Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off to New Zealand in about 10 days, it's only a short trip as I'm there for roughtly nine days so I need to make the most of my stay. I've booked flights that are pretty much direct with only one stop in Singapore. The total flying time is about 23 hours, roughly split in two by the stop over.

I depart from Manchester at 10am in the morning and arrive at Aukland Int. at 10.30pm. Any tips of fighting the dreaded just lag? Should I try and grab some kip on the plane or fight through it and flake out when I arrive?

I've been to NZ once before, but I was 7 at the time so can't remember much about routines. In fact, it was that long ago the only thing I can remember was an Arabian Sheikh sitting next to me on the plane smoking like a trooper - thank go they banned smoking on planes! [:#]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Loose shoes are a must... some moisturiser as the skin gets very dry, water lots of it... a few good books , a dark Tshirt so spilt coffee/food wont be seen on it... some wipes esp de-oderant ones... can get a bit smely without a shower!!. Oh and a toothbrush... teeth get minging with booze and crap food.

Oh and if you get the chance buy some noise canceling headphones in the airport... great for music and sleep, and ignoring te annoying fat woman next too you on the plane..

Oh and 40 american dollars as no matter where you might land (if diverted maybe) they take Yankee dollars... I always carry one 20 when traveling

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Oh and wear a top over your your t-shirt sometimes the air con can be real cold.. get one with a zippered front like a jacket as its much easier to take on and off if you cant stand up..

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good shout on the noise cancelling headphones [Y] I have shure E2c's and swear by them for the flights back to the uk (admittedly only 6 and a half hours) as the cut out all the noise around you and let you get a nice peaceful sleep.

I always take my shoes off on the plane otherwise they get really hot and uncomfortable.

One of those inflatable neck pillows might be a good idea as they will support your head, won't fall between the seats and they'll stop you from falling asleep on the person next to you and drooling on their lapel [;)]

One last thing...

..enjoy the trip [ap] I would love to go to NZ (might get the chance next year as my mate is emmigrating to NZ at the end of October [Y])

·
Registered
837 Posts
After a work trip to San Francisco a few months back I certainly have some tips. Don't fall asleep and gradually slide down in your seat twisting your back. Then, don't follow this up with a 30 minute session on a treadmill in the hotel gym the next morning as you will end up with a prolapsed disc in the base of your spine and no feeling in your left foot for 8 days. This will lead to physiotherapy and back exercises for 3 weeks.

Seriously though, make sure you drink loads of water, wear loose, comfy clothes and get up and move about to keep the circulation going. And the crappy-looking exercises they tell you to do are worth it as they will promote blood circulation.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The inflable pillow is a must! Also, try and get good seats with lots of legroom and be sure to take along some vicks as the air con makes the air really dry and nasty. You should definately sleep on the plane, because a) you will be bored out of your mind otherwise! and b) you will feel refreshed when you get there. When you stop make sure you walk around alot, I went to australia last year and stopped in dubai and singapore and doing some exercise during the break helped loads when i got back on the plane.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Does anyone where flights socks??

I am concerned about DVTs as been diabetic I am at high risk (apparently)

Also, Tabs, maybe take a change of t-shirt with you?? if you do spill something down it, or end up feeling really uncomfortable it could be well worth it

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i work nights sometimes so live in a kind of eternal jet lag my best tip is to try and adjust to halfway time for a couple of days before, eg go to bed at 3/4 am and get up at midday then its not as bad adjusting again.

other than that lip balm or vaseline if youre still allowed this as if your lips get dry they get worse and worse on an airconditioned plane for some reason

·
Registered
368 Posts
try and get up-graded to first class n if not, get a seat at the exit to give u some room to stretch out.

some ear plugs and a blind fold are also good to try n help u catch some sleep. and also....make sure u open the milk away from you - last thing u want is that going over u and making u smell foosty!!!!

Have fun!!!

Andy

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Oh and if you get the chance buy some noise canceling headphones in the airport... great for music and sleep, and ignoring te annoying fat woman next too you on the plane..
So Tracy is going with you then Mark[:D][:D]

Sorry Tracy couldnt resist it[:D] [;)]

Have a great trip matey

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
If you want to arrive at your destination not feeling absolutely awful DON'T drink alcohol or coffee. They dehydrate you and can make you grumpy. Eat as much fruit as you can, eat a lighter meal if there's the option.

Turn up at the check in nice and early and ask for the emergency door seats. As long as you are friendly and look fit enough to open the door in an emergency you'll have more than enough legroom and the chance to look up the stewardess's skirt at take-off and landing..... or is that just me?

Tony

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I would get some anti-embolism compression (flight) socks, as your flying for such a long time you will be sat in one position and your blood refill in the veins in your leg slows down. The socks graduate the compression along your calfs so it speeds up the blood flow. You will look an idiot when you put them on but under jeans they just look like socks (unless you are planning to wear shorts on the flight, then you really will look stupid!). Well worth it in my opinion. Have a good flight [:)]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the late reply to this post.

Thanks for all the advice so far, to sumarise:

Change of T-shirt
Toiletries
Wipes
Zip up jacket (possibly a hoodie)
Blow up pillow
Ear plugs
Flight Socks

Are any of these items still prohibited under the recent increased security measures?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
if you dont want the jet lag, make a note of the time in NZ and set your watch to it so when you are on the plane take a sleep during the times that it is night over there, this should help when you arrive.

i once went to la, and that night i fell asleep at a dinner table

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I would get some anti-embolism compression (flight) socks, as your flying for such a long time you will be sat in one position and your blood refill in the veins in your leg slows down. The socks graduate the compression along your calfs so it speeds up the blood flow. You will look an idiot when you put them on but under jeans they just look like socks (unless you are planning to wear shorts on the flight, then you really will look stupid!). Well worth it in my opinion. Have a good flight [:)]
excellent, lol although i must add i think this is just you. i have never looked up there skirts, i check them out thou!

going to canada next wednesday so will see what air canada crew look like

·
Registered
890 Posts
This sounds hard to do, but i saw it on some TV program the other day, where they were preparing sportmen for working long stints in the far east...for a few days before you fly out, try and get to bed 3 or 4 hours earlier than you normally do, but only have your usual amount of sleep (i.e. get up 3 or 4 hours early as well). This was based on Japan where the time difference is no where near where you'll be, but from experience there (and not doing any preparation like this), its worth a go - we were finding ourselves needing a nap about 18.00/18.30ish and then waking up at 1 in the morning! LOL

Have a good trip! [Y]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
When I Fly to Taiwan I always take my Trainers off & dont put them back on until we land. I alwys wear some loose jeans & a T-shirt, but also take a zip up hoody for some warmth.

I also set my watch to their local time & try to sleep/wake as if I was already there, I find it cuts down on the jet lag & after the 1st nights sleep in a bed I'm ok & localised.

Water is a must, your ok to take anything you buy on board once your through security, just keep it sealed & in the bag with your receipt & you should be fine.

How long is your singapore stop ?? You can get a shower for $5 there , or a massage for about $15, worth the expense IMO

Enjoy NZ you lucky bugger.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts