Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The London T-Charge came into force today, Monday 23rd October. Those lucky enough to live away from London might not know that from today, if you drive any car that doesn't meet the Euro 4 Emission standard into Central London, there is an extra £10 per day to pay in addition to the Congestion Charge.

The Transport for London (TFL) website says that Euro 4 applies broadly to any car registered after 2006. Which appears to knock out most Mk4 Golfs. They invite you to enter your car details on the 'T-Charge Checker' at: tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/emissions-surcharge-checker

Doing this for my late Mk4 Golf, registered June 2004, engine code BFQ - I get a thumbs down - got to pay. But doing it for my Audi A4 3.0l petrol, engine code ASN, registered a year earlier than the Golf, I get a pass. Curious.

The TFL 'T-Charge Checker' doesn't let you search further to find the detail of why a car passes or fails- or allow you to find out from what database they are getting their Euro emission test information for the car. There are clearly lots of ways the data could be wrong - particularly for cars on the borderline of the Euro 4 introduction in 2006 such as late year Mk4s and early Mk5s. And at £10 a day it pays to get it right.

Does anyone know where to find actual CO, HC and NoX emission figures for VW engines on the Mk 4 and M5 Golfs? I've looked carefully without result. I am interested to find out why my BFQ Golf doesn't meet Euro 4. Not that I plan to drive into Central London anytime soon. I will leave that life-shortening activity to the mini cab drivers.

dick101

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The London T-Charge came into force today, Monday 23rd October. Those lucky enough to live away from London might not know that from today, if you drive any car that doesn't meet the Euro 4 Emission standard into Central London, there is an extra £10 per day to pay in addition to the Congestion Charge.
The Transport for London (TFL) website says that Euro 4 applies broadly to any car registered after 2006. Which appears to knock out most Mk4 Golfs. They invite you to enter your car details on the 'T-Charge Checker' at: tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/emissions-surcharge-checker
Doing this for my late Mk4 Golf, registered June 2004, engine code BFQ - I get a thumbs down - got to pay. But doing it for my Audi A4 3.0l petrol, engine code ASN, registered a year earlier than the Golf, I get a pass. Curious.
The TFL 'T-Charge Checker' doesn't let you search further to find the detail of why a car passes or fails- or allow you to find out from what database they are getting their Euro emission test information for the car. There are clearly lots of ways the data could be wrong - particularly for cars on the borderline of the Euro 4 introduction in 2006 such as late year Mk4s and early Mk5s. And at £10 a day it pays to get it right.
Does anyone know where to find actual CO, HC and NoX emission figures for VW engines on the Mk 4 and M5 Golfs? I've looked carefully without result. I am interested to find out why my BFQ Golf doesn't meet Euro 4. Not that I plan to drive into Central London anytime soon. I will leave that life-shortening activity to the mini cab drivers.
dick101
Not sure about the engine info but I think it'll be the dirty diesels they clamp down on :(

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a private plate and for some reason it says I don't have to pay yet mine is a 2002 tdi asz ????

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Not sure about the engine info but I think it'll be the dirty diesels they clamp down on :(

Its l very arbitrary and solely based on the Euro rating placed on the vehicle by DVLA when the car was registered and takes no account of actual pollution levels or economy etc so Mr Investment Banker in his brand new Porsche Panamera or Bentley Gt will pay nowt but Joe Public with his 10yo lovingly maintained economy motor wll cop for it. Recent test showeg that some of the latest cars ptoduce up to 14 times "real life " Nox levels than their Euro approvals so who's kidding who

Its l very arbitrary and solely based on the Euro rating placed on the vehicle by DVLA when the car was registered and takes no account of

Sent from my GT-I8190N

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Mine is euro4 pd 2002. I don't know about cars, but for trucks in my country we have to prove euro standard by ourselves. For ex.: you go to volvo (if you have a volvo), and they will click some keyboards and give you back a certificate or "proof" that your car is euro 4 or euro 5, etc. They don't actually judge specific car but decide by engine, time it was created, tech in it, whatever, similar stuff like gerry said. Then you go and buy euro 4 or whatever charge you have proof of, when you get pulled or checked you have a charge sticker/receipt whatever and proof if they doubt you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Can you forward this to our government ????

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
just another way of getting money in that the diesel motorists will have to cough up... as they are already used to paying more at the pump.... time to start looking into getting the diesel motors converted with tesla engines.... not just any tesla engine.. nope the tesla s 90 awd... this puppy actually can do 220 miles on a full charged battery and has the Ludicrous mode ... meaning going full power on all 4 wheels... 691BHP under the go faster pedal and all that with out a single puff of pollution..... ( no tax to pay at all once the DVLA has given it's stamp of approval)

now if only tesla was smart enough to offer their engines and all the other control systems as universal conversion kits at reasonable prices... the world would be a better place already... i wouldn't mind going from 0 to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds while all that costs me less than a pound a day..... but they don't so i guess i will have to stay out of the capital with my dirty diesel.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Diesels will have to meet Euro 6, come April 2019 so those of you with euro 3 diesels thinking of buying a euro 4/5 diesel think again. Petrol still remains at Euro 4 even in April 2019. The information is available on the T charge page.

I drive my golf for business and had to go into the c zone 20 times last year. But I'm still going to get a older diesel (Euro 3), which can run on waste vegetable oil. I spend £2K a year on fuel and if I can get that down close to nort then it would be a massive saving.

Especially since I charge my business 45p a mile for mileage expenses.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't know if it's the same for everyone but on my Mk5 Golf the emissions data is in the V5 logbook. According to that it meets the Euro 4 spec but the TFL website says it doesn't meet it. So if ever I get stung by the charge I guess I'm going to have to appeal it and send off copy of my logbook.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I emailed TFL about the fact that they were incorrectly classifying my car's T-charge status few months back. Although I didn't get any reply, they seem to have corrected it now. I'm not sure whether my e-mail had any effect or other people appealing incorrect charge but, atleast, it's now fixed,

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I went through the process, the V5 isn't enough, you need a letter from VW, VW have a department set up just to deal with it, I had confirmation from them within a couple of days & TFL backed down. This was a couple of years ago, maybe they have updated their record since then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wrote a fake headed letter from vdub, as I've had some correspondence from them in the past... sent to TFL. Accepted. Now my old '99 is exempt :)

There is apparently a loophole with personal plates that were on other cars. So get a plate from an early euro 4 petrol car and bung it on your old diesel. I don't know, but I believe they use the data from the original 1st registration. They don't recognise electric conversions for that reason from what I've heard. Too difficult to individually become exempt...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts