Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After comming back late last night from a friends I tried locking my car and it just wouldnt! Its not a remote locking setup, just using the keys in the door. Basically as I turned the key in the barrel, it felt like the barrel turned. Now the lock wont function on the driver side at all, cant unlock/lock with it. Now everytime I want to lock/unlock the car I have to use the passenger side door.

The lock on the drivers side has always been a little fiddly when it came to locking, so I think it finally gave up on me! Is this easy to repair, or does anyone have any ideas? I've seen the delocking thread and I was thinking that might help me with taking out the barrel so I can realign it maybe?

Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
does your car have a lock in the passenger side handle.

you might be able to swap the barrels although i'm not 100%

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does indeed, thats what im having to use at the moment, although walking to the wrong side of the car to unlock is getting a bit annoying!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I tried swapping the barrels today with no luck, the cast iron exterior they sit in is shaped differently for each side, so when I tried sliding them back in it was simply a no go!. However on removing my driver side barrel (the one that is knackered) I found that part of the barrel had actually shattered and some of the metal pieces had fallen inside the mechanics of the barrel causing it to jam when trying to lock.

I find it very strange that metal would shatter, but in the end I completely removed the peice that shattered and reasembled the lock and put it back in the door. Before that though I noticed that when I put the key in the lock and turned it, the brass end of the lock turns, but is not in unison with the key, its loose and can turn independantly. Anyway, its back in now and I can unlock the car from the drivers side, although the key can now do a worrying 360 turn in the barrel in both directions, and when I came to lock the car after doing all this, all 4 windows decided to promptley wind themselves down!

The joys of owning a VW !

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That thought crossed my mind briefly too, but the exterior of the lock shows no damage. I've seen what a screwdriver can do to a lock as its very obvious, but theres barely a scratch to be found on mine. I did hear from a scrapyard I visited yesterday that extreme cold can cause parts of the lock to shatter. It makes sense to as the night it stopped working I remember it being distinctly cold!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi there....i have 2000 1.6 bora ,and last night the same problem happend to me....could you tell me how did you solve the problem please,

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
ok basically the problem with your car is the lock barrel has broken, a common problem on these cars, fixed mine a few months back.

youre gonna need a lock/barrel repair kit if you want to use your current key and you can repair the current lock, or go to the breakyard and get a driver side barrel and use the parts from that.

otherwise just look for a vw golf lock repair kit on ebay :)

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
If the outside of the lock is ok it is common for that barrell on them cars to break reason it does not happen on other cars is that they have RCL and never use the lock with a key.. A lock repair kit is available off fleabay or steelers £18 IIRC..

Also you cannot swop the Barrel from the other side they are a different shape and wont fit as you probably have ;aready realised.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ive had the same problem and have since bought the lock repairkit...

Since ive I have installed the new parts when I try to unlock the door, it locks its self automatically. On the other hand if it goes wrong locking the doors the windows open?

Anyone got any ideas im stumped

...cheers

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Ive had the same problem and have since bought the lock repairkit...

Since ive I have installed the new parts when I try to unlock the door, it locks its self automatically. On the other hand if it goes wrong locking the doors the windows open?

Anyone got any ideas im stumped

...cheers
I'm not familiar with lock repair kits?

Chris.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Anyway, its back in now and I can unlock the car from the drivers side, although the key can now do a worrying 360 turn in the barrel in both directions, and when I came to lock the car after doing all this, all 4 windows decided to promptley wind themselves down!

The joys of owning a VW !
Hi, cannot help greatly with your problem I'm sad to say. All I can suggest is getting VW to order a new barrel to your VIN. You say that you can now do a 360 when you put the key in the barrel. My guess is that because you can, after locking it - it must have been left in it's unlock position as your car as total closure. If you hold the key in the lock position, all windows + sunroof will close if you hold it for about 7-8 seconds. Likewise, if you hold the key in the unlock position, it will wind down all windows (don't think it does sunroof though).

Because your barrel can do a 360 it must be sitting on the unlock part, causing the windows to wind down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts