Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. We have rainy days in my country and I noticed that I have some water on wiring from rear right lamp and the lamp itself My first thought was that the tailight seal is the problem. So I replaced it with butyl tape and the water was still leaking. Today I notcied that the water shows above the lamp. So lamp seal is 100% good. It isn't big leak. After two days there's not much water, but any water is bad when it is on wiring.

Here you can see some droplets above the lamp

5795521500_1602594004.jpg
5314073200_1602594008.jpg
4795641600_1602594007.jpg

How to fix it and search the cause ? After visit on car wash I don't see any leak. Removing upholstery also don't help because this water is between two plates. Maybe someone faces similar issue before ?

I thought is could be antenna gasket but headliner is dry from what I see. I also thought about rubber wiring cover but it looks good. Can the water let go to the car thorugh hinges ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you have a sunroof? The pipes from that drain nearby there, it could be splash back also.

My only other thoughts were the rubber grommets for the tailgate wiring loom or the light seal as there is much else around the lip.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have sunroof but it's not from it. As I said earlier the leak was from under the tail seal. Put little silicone from the outside and inside, a little insulation tape and the problem was solved.

The best way to check this is remove seal, lamp and use flashlight.If you see light through this hole then you know what's wrong.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have sunroof but it's not from it. As I said earlier the leak was from under the tail seal. Put little silicone from the outside and inside, a little insulation tape and the problem was solved.

The best way to check this is remove seal, lamp and use flashlight.If you see light through this hole then you know what's wrong.
I'm surprised it leaks from what the seal clips on to because it's a lip and water is supposed to run past it.

Might explain a little water that was in my car when I got it as it had been pressure washed, although I haven't really seen any since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is old car. First. The seal could be removed few times before by previous owners. It isn't good for the seal because factory seal is mounted with glue.So as a result my seal does not adhere 100% to the car. It could be fixed with little tape so the seal would fit more tightly.

Second the car could be hit at the back (I have rear bumper replaced). So maybe that't why there's hole on welding of two sheets.

The more important thing is that I finally solved this problem.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the water leak from pressure wash is something normal because high pressure can deform seal and water can pass through.Seal is soft and water pressure can easy deform it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have leak here in rear right quarter in trunk
8baf8f6d42640918b5e1997cb99288b0.jpg

Water comes somewhere from here
4fb73eaa2be744a4a04bb5b6da17e709.jpg

Checked sunroof drains, new tail light seals, new vent, rubber for cables is ok. I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts