Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gripes after 3 months of GTI ownership...

1. Build quality - it's not good, in fact in places, it's bloody awful
  2. Rattles - in the dash, the door and no doubt more to come...
  3. Reliability - well, my car has now covered a couple of thousand miles and the aircon has failed
  4. The leather - (if you have it of course) it's cheap and grey. I'd go for cloth if I had the choice again.
  5. VW Dealers - I'll say no more!

On the plus side...

1. Handling - it's precise, taut and great fun.
  2. Looks - the GTI looks fantastic
  3. Performance - it's very useable and if you add a few horses (as I have) it's electric
  4. Practical - I'm a mad fisherman and all the gear goes in with room to spare
  5. The interior - despite the poor quality in places, it does feel special (and I used to own TT's)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I like

1 Performance

2 Looks

3 Road Holding

4 Dash layout and nightime ambience

5 Neutral snob value

Dislikes

1 Stupid coming and going light feature (can't turn mine off)

2 Radio volume (all of nothing)

That's about it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I like

1 Performance

2 Looks

3 Road Holding

5 Neutral snob value

Dislikes

That's about it.
On th light feature, if when leaving the car you press the unlock key then the lock key the lights will go off straight away.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I like

1 Performance

2 Looks

3 Road Holding

5 Neutral snob value

Dislikes

That's about it.
On th light feature, if when leaving the car you press the unlock key then the lock key the lights will go off straight away.
Steve, It doesn't happen on the locking op, only on the unlock, the dealer could only reduce it to 10 seconds, and not disable it totally.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
why is it such a problem if your lights come on for 10 seconds?

or am i missing something?
Well take my daily drive to work, get in car first thing lights come on, drive to Cafe near work pic up lunch, on again, stop to open works security gate, on again, were not just talking headlights, it's also rear lights, interior lights, dash lights

I just think not being able to turn the function off is daft, I could on my MK5 diesel and on my BMW which was s electable without book it in at the dealer via a sequence of buttons.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You should be able to turn this function off because mine came with them switched off from the factory (when I unlocked the car, locking worked OK) and I got the dealer to reactivate the lights!

·
Registered
538 Posts
My gripes after 3 months of GTI ownership...

1. Build quality - it's not good, in fact in places, it's bloody awful
  2. Rattles - in the dash, the door and no doubt more to come...
  3. Reliability - well, my car has now covered a couple of thousand miles and the aircon has failed
  4. The leather - (if you have it of course) it's cheap and grey. I'd go for cloth if I had the choice again.
  5. VW Dealers - I'll say no more!

On the plus side...

1. Handling - it's precise, taut and great fun.
  2. Looks - the GTI looks fantastic
  3. Performance - it's very useable and if you add a few horses (as I have) it's electric
  4. Practical - I'm a mad fisherman and all the gear goes in with room to spare
  5. The interior - despite the poor quality in places, it does feel special (and I used to own TT)
Mark P, its like I wrote that list myself totally agree with everything you said.

My biggest gripes are the door alignment and the quality of the finish in the interior, really not a 20 odd grand car.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
All in no particular order!

1) Looks
2) Drivign position (it's low enoguh to suit me perfectly!)
3) Perforamnce (excluding 5th gear)
4) Interior - works fine for me
5) Handling - sticks like glue unless it's super greasy, or the road's under water [:)]
6) I've never ever ever had a rattle in it - bar the car charger that's in the side pocket (but that's self inflicted!)

Dislikes
------------

1) Door seals - when they eventually stick, they're still windy!
2) Dealers - Servicing are the papa of all shite unless I get the one bloke who's got a clue, bless his great skill! [y]
3) Stupid seat belt ping - I know it's there for a reason, btu I'm never without a belt, and I always startup before the belt goes on. ARGH!
4) RCD head units don't play MP3 - talk about stupidly behind the times

And you have to admit - they're mainly small dislikes!!!!

C

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
1. Looks - It's gorgeous!

2. Performance - 3 "outings" and I'm very impressed in standard trim.

3. Handling - Fantastic.

4. Wheels - soo easy to clean!

5. Xenons - WOW

6. Steering wheel - superb

7. Interior - very nice in my view

Dislikes:

1. Creaking dash - crap roads play a role tho.

2. Rear Wiper - mind of its own sometimes

·
Registered
177 Posts
Had my GTI for 6 months now and done approx. 8000 miles.

Love;

1. The looks - far better than the R32.

2. Handling - minimal oversteer/understeer and sticks to the road like glue

3. Interior - gorgeous, especially when it's lit up at night (the night-time ambience as some are eloquently putting it)

4. Build Quality - this is where I beg to differ with a few of you here. My GTI seems to be very solidly screwed together and everything fits well. No nasty rattles and squeaks yet.

5. Practicality - after previously owning an MR2 Roadster (zero storage space / 2 occupants only) being able to comfortably accommodate 4 adults AND a load of luggage is fantastic.

If I could have two more, I'd choose 6. DSG Gearbox and 7. Xenons

Hate (well... don't hate anything really);

1. A lot of noisy air turbulence when the sunroof is slid open fully.

2. Computer Alarm isn't loud enough.

3. Rear profile a bit too bland looking. First job for me after the warranty will be an ABT Rear Valance + Quad Exhaust Box.

4. Unpainted body bits. Saw a GTI with these colour keyed not too long back and it looked so much better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mark P, its like I wrote that list myself totally agree with everything you said.

My biggest gripes are the door alignment and the quality of the finish in the interior, really not a 20 odd grand car.
Yes, on collection from the showroom, my drivers side door was out of alignment! Took two visits back to the dealer to sort that one out!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4. Unpainted body bits. Saw a GTI with these colour keyed not too long back and it looked so much better.
This is mine... skirts & top section of it's bum painted. I left the front spoiler lip unpainted and R32 lights finish it all off...

Posted Image

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is mine... skirts & top section of it's bum painted. I left the front spoiler lip unpainted and R32 lights finish it all off...

Posted Image
Yep! That looks smiles better IMO. Nice touch to leave a bit of black there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts