Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's on the Mk1 Octavia, which is Mk4 platform so should be the same issue??

Apparently they've gone off/come back on a couple of times (according to swmbo) but now they're off... they function as normal they're just not illuminated.

It's been suggested that the speed sensor on the gearbox could be the culprit... does that seem likely?

Any other options?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd check with another cluster and check that there is 12v at the blue/grey on the cluster plug.

The LEDs are segmented, so if you lose one you'll only lose a tiny portion of them, not all.
They're sort of glowing faintly and flickering a little bit again now.

Be very surprised if the same led fed speedo and rev counter needles, they're a bit of a way apart.....
I've had a set of clocks apart, definitely a different approach to illumination than I've seen before.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Have you tried giving the dimmer switch a couple taps? My cluster sometimes dims itself, and giving the dimmer switch a whack usually brings it back to the brightness it was meant to be at.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried giving the dimmer switch a couple taps? My cluster sometimes dims itself, and giving the dimmer switch a whack usually brings it back to the brightness it was meant to be at.
The cluster is ok, and the dimmer functions as it should, its just 2 needles that are misbehaving..

I have hammerfisted the dash generally though, my generation have that tendency...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are paired together, so likely a bad LED, lifting solder pad or similar.
Not sure I can be arsed with LEDs again tbh...
Might just wait til I send the clocks to ard for colormfd and get him to custom led them for me then.. If I do that (I think there's a spare set of clocks here somewhere, just don't know where Kirsty's stashed them)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well... not found my spare clocks yet and my 2 needles are back on, no flashing, but quite dimly lit...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It's a poor connection, solder is bad or similar. Resistance is high.
I have a week off in March, it can wait til then.

And I think I want fis control over colormfd - which would look totally out of place in the car.

..edit..
Would have to source a set of maxidot clocks first I suppose..............

1 - 15 of 15 Posts