Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, let's have a thread of all the realistic (ie road use cars) weight saving measures you can apply to a mk4.

I'll start it off:

milltek exhaust - weight saving unknown

BBS RC- 9 kg a corner but saving unknown over santas

empty petrol tank- you get the idea...

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
ok, let's have a thread of all the realistic (ie road use cars) weight saving measures you can apply to a mk4.

I'll start it off:

milltek exhaust - weight saving unknown

BBS RC- 9 kg a corner but saving unknown over santas
I did suggest a thread like this before but for it to be useful it's got to be scientific, we have to weigh stuff. ct.p has a wheel weights thread, where people have weighed their wheels including tyres.

Aftermarket manufacturers always mention lots of side benefits but the reality is often offset by something else. Classic case is alloy wheels. Yes, by volume they are lighter, but then most people fit alloy wheels that are larger than their original steel wheels, and therefore usually add weight, not reduce it!

Ditto stainless steel exhausts... it is often mentioned that stainless is lighter than mild, which is all very well but what if the aftermarket piece uses more steel? It may end up being heavier.

I have a Milltek cat back not fitted yet, I'll weigh the parts before I get them fitted, then weigh the old system once it's removed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one more idea bites the dust. Carbon fibre bonnet? Empty washer bottle? Sell the recaros and put racing seats in? (There goes the practicality!)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Dude, you have a V6 4Motion, isn't all this a bit drastic? I could understand if it was a 1.4 or 1.6 and you needed to squeeze every last drop... [:S]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Maybe he wants to suprise a R32 with the extra weight saving... and a tad of tuning.. [;)] he could be on his way [:D]

Sat

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Dude, you have a V6 4Motion, isn't all
this a bit drastic? I could understand if it was a 1.4 or 1.6 and
you needed to squeeze every last drop... [:S]
You'll be suprised just how much it can account for, especially with a
large engined car. I srtipped the rear of my old R32, ran low fuel
loads and managed to shave 0.3 seconds off my quater ET.

The bonnet is a heavy bugger. If you can get a carbon fiber jobbie sprayed up then you could save quite a bit.

Also the window regulator panels are heavy buggers, as is the glass.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ditch the bonnet, wings and doors for carbon, remove spare and use space saver then gut the interior.  Apart from that your not really gonna save that much weight.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
it would be quite easy to make a stealth lightweight MKiv ...

Honda did some of these tricks on the accord type and it shaved loads
of the kerbweight. If i were to do it here is how whilst keeping
it nice and practical

• Remove soundproofing, under the carpet and firewall it weighs a
    tone and from beihiid the boot floor and rear door pockets and
    bonnet too
  • remove rear seats
  • remove spare wheel
  • fit 17 inch lightwheels, possibly fit lower profile tyres to counter handling and tyre flex
  • remove rear wiper
  • remove centre exhaust box... if not to noisy
  • fit tt forged arms not alot in terms of kerb weight but alot in unsprung weight
  • the metal panels that are the window regulators..... cross drill
    them .......... all over should be asey to reduce weight by 75% also
    wont be seen with the door pocket back on
  • front and rear bumper bars cross drill them... be wary of structural integrity though
  • Fit some lightweight recaros... dont have to be aftermarket Integra and accord type-r s have lightweigt recaros as standard
now that little lot could drop around 100 - 200 kg depending how well
you did it... the next step would be be very drastic and really for a
track car

• replace windows at sides with plexi glass or lexan
  • remove pasenger window winder
  • remove electric mirror mechanism
  • remove headling and rest of interior trim including carpet and glovebox and boot cover and door panels
  • strip rubberised underseal from underbody and wheelarches replace with paint and primer
  • buy some magnesium wheels
  • remove arch liners and exhaust heatshield replece with heat reflective paint where nescary
  • bonnet and boot lock mechanism ... fit bonnet pins
  • Replace as many panels with carbon fiber as possible ..... if not
    remove as much metasl as possible from them IE inside the doors and
    bootlid Cross drill everyting with a 1-2-3 inch holesaw
  • Fit kevlar seats
  • Rip out the radio and all its speakers
This should shave the same again

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
empty engine oil
empty washer bottle
remove airbox and TIP
drain brake fluid
take a dump
drive naked
go to weight watchers

·
Registered
51 Posts
ehhh no. Im looking at buying a 1.4, but knowing that is lacks power, i was just searching for ways to make the car lighter.

didnt realise the age of it.

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
When i had a water leak,i ran without carpets and back seats,the difference was quite shocking.The car felt like it had been mapped,did i get a shock when i refitted my carpets and seats,needless to say it was soon remapped to gain the performance i'd lost with the extra weight.

If you remove the rear seats and the carpets,you'll gain a hell of a lot of performance in my book.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts