Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 14 months and 14,000 miles, its time to un-bolt the supercharger from my '02 R32. i have to say its been a blast, the sound was unreal when added to the already awesome tone produced from the car as standard. what will i not miss?... having to turn around when met with a 6" puddle!, as the induction kit is mounted low and does not like sucking in H20!...

and as the girlfriend is likely to have the car next, surely she didnt expect me to hand it on with the supercharger fitted!,maybe i should get her some software!

anyone whose interested in buying it - its for sale in the mk1v classifieds!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wow! What was the acceleration like? Is it true that the power band is so linear that you only get gains at 5k onwards?/Did it give you much low-down torque imporvement? Did you race any cars [on a private test track]? How did you fare? Good luck on the sale - I'm sure it will be snapped up. If I had an R32 I would buy it in a heart-beat - ?2k is a bargain btw!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on the road, the car is superb. idles perfectly and acts like any other r32 until as you say, reach about 4700rpm when it really starts to pull. all the way to 7400rpm!... driving on the motorway in 6th at about 80mph is when the car comes into itself.. when the kit was first fitted, i was at first dissapointed, because i had expected more low down torque. but after 1/2 hr driving it, the smiles said that it was money worth spent!.. i took it to bruntingthorpe and lost against tabs's with just his software / exhaust combo!!.. well upset, however the charger belt was whining as it slipped!, forgot to tighten it after 200 miles! dork!, did get to see 165mph on the clock though!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would sooooo love it m8... My insurance company wouldn't though!

Was it hard to fit?? I hear they are diy friendly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the mpg was the most surprising thing... although i had only had the golf for a month before putting the kit on i was averaging about 28mpg.. after the kit i saw no reduction in fuel. they do say that the kit could be diy, but i relied on vf engineering to fit it themselves in this instance as it was the first rhd kit fitted in the uk... looks simple, but these things often do, until yu find the bag of bolts at the end with nowhere to fit them!..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tabs - probably the mkV.. fancy the mk1 cloth trim interior, white paintwork, low with some 18" split rims! also, i've heard on the grapevine that vw could soon be releasing an R version... lightweight, window winders etc.. not sure what the powerplant is though..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
never thought of getting any videos...

i'm in northants... and the software is GIAC's software that VF engineering have had purpose written for this kit. i think with their stage 2 upgrade for about ?800 you get 350bhp with a smaller pulley, intercooler, bigger injectors, and different software again..

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would love this, but as Martyn says, my insurance company wouldn't! I'll be in Northampton tonight as well! Just need to dig around in my pocket for loose change and count the pennies out!

Jeffers

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
sorry but how much would a supercharger cost new? and what you selling yours for? Would Mr Flux say yay or nay to such a mod?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
trouble is when your about to reach 40!, you get itchy feet and want to try out what you can before settling into a 4x4!.. its a toss up between an sti and a mkV with some goodies... luckily i take advantage of a group insurance policy at work so dont really know what effect it would have on an insurance quote.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah, the kit is coming off tomorrow.. :eek:(

reboxed and ready to ship... i have it advertised in the classified section..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts