Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking ghosts here, though feel free. I'm talking life after death, re-incarnation, the soul carrying on etc etc.

What do you lot believe, we have a few different cultures on here and people from differing backgrounds, so would be interesting to see what people believe.

I personally, although I follow no religion, so this is not religious in any way, do believe that there is something after death. Otherwise, I just do not see the point in this whole life thing. We, as humans are amazing creatures, just think of the brain, or the eye! All this has evolved, or come from somewhere, for what!? For it to just die?! I do beleive that something is after death. I've had too many situations now where I have been in a place I have never been before, but know it very very well, once I even knew that there was a garden centre down the road when I was a kid, mum said I had never been there before, but I wanted to go to the garden centre to look at the toys.

Sure enough, she took me (smallish place) and I apparently ran up to the back of the store, where the toys were, behind some plants (could not see them from the entrance). We had never been there before, my aunt had just moved to a new area and I was around 6.

Had a lot of situations like that and can't, apart from a life before this one, figure out how I know these places!!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
There's something in deja vu but I'm not convinced that has anything to do with life after death. Its more like a premonition thing. I still get them regularly and can't explain them.

As for life after death, not convinced at all. It's such a human thing to say how great we are so how can we just die? Why can't we just die, why does there have to be more? I can't say you're wrong because after all how on earth can we prove it (and no Flatliners references please!!) but I do think that it's one way we cope with death. We are afraid or our own mortality so we come up with something that gives us hope there is something beyond.

·
Registered
654 Posts
No disrespect to any religion but if it makes you feel better, there is life after death.  If there is or there isn't, 'you' won't know about it when it happens!

·
Registered
873 Posts
My explination of the de ja vu people experiance is that our brains have the ability to look shortly into the future. There for our brain knows about them just before they happen.

Opinions please!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Not something I've really thought about, but I think my view on a life after death would be one of pure physics. The body is a source of energy, and energy can not be destroyed it just becomes another form. So when you die the energy your body is generating up until your death, the heat, the electric impulses around your nervous system do not cease to exist but become another form of energy so in a way you 'live' on in another form.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My explination of the de ja vu people experiance is that our brains have the ability to look shortly into the future. There for our brain knows about them just before they happen.

Opinions please!
Thats far superior to my life after death and previous life theory!!

No one can tell who's wrong and who's right. Nik, I have though that if humans have a 'life' or something after death, then so would every ant, rat, earwig etc etc! Wherever you might go, it would be packed with insects!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not something I've really thought about, but I think my view on a life after death would be one of pure physics. The body is a source of energy, and energy can not be destroyed it just becomes another form. So when you die the energy your body is generating up until your death, the heat, the electric impulses around your nervous system do not cease to exist but become another form of energy so in a way you 'live' on in another form.
Kinda like the yoda's theory in starwars? you become part of the force :)

seriously though the physics explanation is the one that makes the most sense to me.

But then only a few hundred years ago science thought the earth was the centre of the universe and that its surface was flat, so whats not to say that in another 100 years science will have evolved to tell us where this energy goes when we die, i hope its somewhere nice [:p]

·
Registered
924 Posts
i dont know about life after death, but if there is a heaven and hell, then at the moment we are living in hell. busting our a** off everyday with work!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Sorry no after life or re-incarnation or even heaven or hell for me....

we are a biologicaal entity, we are made of hundreds of cells that survive on various chemicals such as oxygen and water, when we stop processing that ... we die end of ... no different to cutting the water and air of to a tree... we die we rot... end off...

We only have one life LIVE IT, Life is not a rehearsal... get on with it and do your best and never say no... unless its gonna kill you.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
There's something in deja vu but I'm not convinced that has anything to do with life after death. Its more like a premonition thing. I still get them regularly and can't explain them.
It's a glitch in the Matrix.

Seriously though I have no belief in life after death. When I'm gone I'm gone, it's what you do with your life whilst you have it that's important.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
i'm completely with andymac on this one, nothing after this one life

deja vu is not some mystical experience, if you think about it you only experience the world through your senses, you brain has total control and can make you feel like you've been somewhere before when in fact its the first time, it is strange but no more so than anything else that goes on in the brain

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Deja vu in my experience has been a dream I've had, then the exact same thing has happened in real life; I used to remember this dream when I was younger, climbing a tall set of stairs, had the same dream a number of times; and I dont know why, but for some reason I have always remembered it, probably because of the repeat number of times I'd had it... then, what must be 8 - 10 years later, I was in exactly the same situation in real life; now that was freaky! I havent got a clue how you could explain deja vu, but I know it definately does happen and its not just a coincidence, or your brain 'thinking' its in the same place you have been before!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Opinions please!
Funny you say that, saw a program once where they tested people with images and scary images and just before they would see a scary image their brains reacted( electric impulses) as if it knew what was coming!

regarding when we die, it will be lights out or if we are lucky we might have another existance somewhere else( i dont mean recarnation, no link) just an awareness like we have today so its possible for it to happen again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The body is not a source of energy! You eat and drink and your body processes the food and extracts the energy from it. Any thing producing energy needs fuel from which to produce it, fire etc. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it just changes forms, e.g. wood is burnt to create fire which produces heat which is dissipated to the surrounding air and raisies the temperature by a minute amount. Oil is refined to give petrol, powers your car and moves you from A to B, and the kinetic energy of your moving is dissipated as heat in your brakes, emissions from your exaust which heat up the air around it. And so on.

We are born, we live, we die. Full stop.

The human body and all it contains evolved out of necessity to survive the climate we came to live in. It won't surprise me if, in the future, there are 15-25yr olds with thumbs twice the size of ours cos they play PS2 so much that the body evolves to make them much stronger than they are.

Is there any evidence to suggest an afterlife? No, nothing, diddly squat, zilch. So live your life now.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

we are a biologicaal entity, we are made of hundreds of cells that survive on various chemicals such as oxygen and water, when we stop processing that ... we die end of ... no different to cutting the water and air of to a tree... we die we rot... end off...

We only have one life LIVE IT, Life is not a rehearsal... get on with it and do your best and never say no... unless its gonna kill you.
Bump!

Alot of water with a few clever bits lobbed in..... No different to any other animal roaming Earth!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Bump!

Alot of water with a few clever bits lobbed in..... No different to any other animal roaming Earth!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I dont believe that anything will happen after death.

Its hard to believe that that is it, and the world just carries on....evolving in many ways without you knowing about it.

We all gotta go at some point, no point gloriefying it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts