Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6179704.stm

Why have they even mentioned this?! Jesus, who gives a sheet what bloody colour he is, its totally irrelevant!

The more media and people in general emphasise differences, the more problems there will continue to be with race relations in my opinion.

To me, this is just a bloke who happens to be a racing driver, and good luck to him the lucky get!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I'm surprised the governement havent unleashed one of their daft certain number of each colour and nationalilty before the white British man quotas on F1 by now...

And with helmets on, who cares! Its all about the driving anyway.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
So is he the first black F1 driver because he is good? or is it because he is black?

Seriously though im not sure what the point is? Why do they have to make emphasis on the colour of someone..? why has it took so long for a black racing driver anyway? no doubt the lefty do gooders will all be going on about how it is about time that it was more equal and how there is no opportunities for black people etc etc...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
While I agree that it's the driving that counts, and Lewis is a fantastic racer, the hope is that his joining the grid will bring a whole new audience to F1 and racing in general. I don't think any emphasis has been made in a negative way, it goes some way to prove that anyone can do it, given the talent - and this guy has that by the bucket full, as well as all the other prerequisites of a 21st century star, like looks, charisma and communication skills. I don't imagine he's used his colour consciously to further his career, but, given his other qualities, it won't be doing him any harm.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would hope this article touches on the point that in the past it has been more difficult for people of mixed or "non-white" origins to be able and allowed to make their way up the ladder into certain sports. Tiger Woods is a good example, I do not follow golf but perhaps his success has opened doors for others and has helped to create a less stuck-up "I say old chap" institution. F1 is a new example of a sport where people of ethnic origins do not participate. With his helmet on, he is just another man able to race very well, and that is how it should be. The best driver should win, whether he has a mostache (Nigel Mansell), a crooked nose (Alain Prost) or has a well developed tan.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
"the hope is that his joining the grid will bring a whole new audience to F1 and racing in general."

How do you mean...? I take this as, you think that more black people will become interested in the sport?

Which shouldn't be the case, the interest should follow from a love of Motorsport, people should not follow someone because of their colour, or become interested in something just because someone who is the same colour as them now participates.

(by the way TT, i'm not having a go at you)..... it's that you are right in your synopsis of the situtation.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why should it bring more people into the sport who hadn't watched it previously? Sorry mate, but I think thats ludicrous. Lots of black families now tuning in to the F1 bore-o-rama because "one of their own" is now racing in it? Jesus.

Colour has nothing to do with why he was s elected, talent is. So why is it mentioned? If you are fast, you will be in, and that should be the end of it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If he is as good as everyone says he "could" be, then good luck to the kid.

But I cant see what all the fuss is about just because he is a different colour, black white yellow or brown - who cares? I dont!

But Tiger Woods was the "first Black Man" to play golf apparently on the Pro tour and some would argue that his first sponsership deal with Nike was as big as it was BECAUSE of his colour............Although Tiger is Half and Half (Chinese and Afro American? is that the right "term"?)

Shame the Amercian girl hasnt had a test this winter yet though - many people still think she can carve it up in F1 - even some of the more experinced drivers have said that! Trying to remember her name now......

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I wonder it would be like golf as in they have a special ladies tee, so in racing they would have the ladies grid half way round the track [:p]

·
Registered
674 Posts
My misses would rip your head off hearing you say that - she doenst loose to many on a race track, and put her in a zip Kart there are not many who can keep up, let alone over take!

Keeps on at me to buy her a kart and let her race! Not unless I can have my Hillclimb Hyabussa Engineed Mini as well!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I never undertsand humans, as a race![:mad:]

Neil Armstrong 1st man on the moon - yeah!

Tiger Woods 1st Black pro golfer!

Why does a persons colour have to make the headline for what they do?! I hope he is very good at his chosen sport.

But IMO the media do it so if the individual fails - they can use the same medium to slate them. As a person of colour I find it funny when I read/hear media reports like that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
For some reason, anybody who is of Non-White ethnicity who comes into a Sport is always given this publicity. I can remember the "first Coloured Professional Footballer" only 20 years ago was supposed to have been Viv Anderson. Which was total tosh wollop as the first recognised black footballer was a guy called Arthur Wharton or Andrew Watson who both played in the 1880's.

Viv Anderson was given loads of publicity because at the time he played, football was riddled with racisim. When I started going to Watford in the early 80's I always asked my indian school mates if they wanted to come with me to the games - their mums and dads wouldnt have it because of the racisim at the time. These days there is a real multi culture at most clubs in the UK so things DEFINATELY have got better.

But the press see a story in Lewis just because of his skin colour! I agree, it doesnt sort of show him to be something different, which he is - he is a damm fast British young Driver about to crack into F1 - Thats it!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Shame the Amercian girl hasnt had a test this winter yet though - many people still think she can carve it up in F1 - even some of the more experinced drivers have said that! Trying to remember her name now......
Do you mean Danica Patrick ?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
"the hope is that his joining the grid will bring a whole new audience to F1 and racing in general."

How do you mean...? I take this as, you think that more black people will become interested in the sport?

Which shouldn't be the case, the interest should follow from a love of Motorsport, people should not follow someone because of their colour, or become interested in something just because someone who is the same colour as them now participates.

(by the way TT, i'm not having a go at you)..... it's that you are right in your synopsis of the situtation.
unfortunately that's the way it works.... kids and young adults tend to idolise people from a similar culture or background as them .. if this is emphasised by colour of skin then so be it... (though the BBC is way to PC not too mention it and treat it as the norm)

I have met of southerners who are black who support Liverpool, when I ask them why they support Liverpool they say John Barnes was an Icon for them as a kid... not only the way he played and his success but despite the racism he held his head high and was always dignified though some pretty lousy treatment....

The same can be said of Tiger woods.. And also Prince Naseem, there wasnt many black or asian boxers or golfers now the pathway has been cleared it can only be a great thing as there are more now than ever and race is not mentioned nearly as much in those sports...

BUT it also works in the opposite way, many kids in poor parts Manchester are now not jumping on the football bandwagon, boxing is coming back.. whys that , ricky hatton maybe???....

Just dont hope to see any 4 foot tall ginger scots/northern english/irish men playing basketball or 25 stone japanese sumo wrestlers winning the epsom derby, don't think that would work[:p]...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have met of southerners who are black who support Liverpool, when I ask them why they support Liverpool they say John Barnes was an Icon for them as a kid... not only the way he played and his success but despite the racism he held his head high and was always dignified though some pretty lousy treatment....
John Barnes was, and will always be WATFORD!!!!!!

[:D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts