Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think removing the post counts would be a good idea personally, and mainly for two reasons..

1) A post count means nothing to me, i'm no less likely to respond to a post from someone with a post count of 2 as i am to someone with 3000, if i feel i can answer the question/query posted then i will!.. These days that obviously isn't the case, people have obviously got into that mindset now that having a high post count makes you superior in some way!! [:$] And...

2) It will stop all the post whoring for those who feel like having a big post count will make them admired by everyone else, it's not an ego trip we're on here people! [N]

Let's just have a joining date and a location of where we're from and that'll do! [Y]

I know i might receive some stick about this... But frankly i don't care!! [:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Ryan, I agreed with you last night and still think the same now especially after looking at how many nonsense posts are appearing on a daily basis.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
However it is very usefull when trying to judge a member in terms of
time and reputation on the forum, howabout not including posts in the
off topic area counting just to stop the whoring.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I'm inclined to agree.
Whats needed to carry this motion (so to speak!!)?

A full on forum poll or a discussion by moderators/admin?
Both really. We would want to hear your views on the issue. Afterall its you the user who makes this site what it is!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I would like to know what you guys problem is.

Define whoring, don't be scared to give it all you got, you deffo won't offend me.

Why do we have to 'stop' whoring. For christ sake, we have been through this so many times, if you don't like it don't read it, it really is that simple. NO ONE forces you to come on here and read a topic you do not want to read. If you want to stick to gearboxes, if thats your thing, go to the gearbox forum, if you want to stick to tuning, simple, go to the tuning forum.

I think this is yet another pop at me because we have been having a bit of fun over the last couple of days. It's lighthearted, and if your scared to smile, do not read. If you don't find it funny, don't join in. It really is that simple.

If I stopped and posted only 2 posts per day, would that make the forum such a wonderful place to be?! Would that make you all stop moaning about post whoring??

I really don't post here to increase a number by my name.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
However it is very usefull when trying to judge a member in terms of time and reputation on the forum, howabout not including posts in the off topic area counting just to stop the whoring.
That would be another option. Never crossed my mind really, and it does make for a good idea.

At least it may promote more posting in the on-topic sections.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
However it is very usefull when trying to judge a member in terms of
time and reputation on the forum, howabout not including posts in the
off topic area counting just to stop the whoring.
How about date joined instead?

EDIT: Oh right [:p]

<-------------

Number of posts really tells you nothing IMO. I had 8000+ on the old
forum but if you asked me about 1.8Ts (for example) I could only shrug
and point at Gary M. I have never understood peoples obsessions with getting their post counts up personally

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I would like to know what you guys problem is.

Define whoring, don't be scared to give it all you got, you deffo won't offend me.

Why do we have to 'stop' whoring. For christ sake, we have been through this so many times, if you don't like it don't read it, it really is that simple. NO ONE forces you to come on here and read a topic you do not want to read. If you want to stick to gearboxes, if thats your thing, go to the gearbox forum, if you want to stick to tuning, simple, go to the tuning forum.

I think this is yet another pop at me because we have been having a bit of fun over the last couple of days. It's lighthearted, and if your scared to smile, do not read. If you don't find it funny, don't join in. It really is that simple.

If I stopped and posted only 2 posts per day, would that make the forum such a wonderful place to be?! Would that make you all stop moaning about post whoring??
Yet another 'the world revolves around W36 post' [:p] I think theres more than one person being refered to here.

The point people are trying to make is off topic areas are getting more posts. If you failed to realise this forum is car related - and we talk about cars (most of the time) - and right now theres more garbage being posted in the off topic sections than any other section put together. No one forces you to read to topics. But new users who come on to this forum looking for answers tend to be drawn in to off topic areas instead.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yet another 'the world revolves around W36 post' [:p] I think theres more than one person being refered to here.

The point people are trying to make is off topic areas are getting more posts. If you failed to realise this forum is car related - and we talk about cars (most of the time) - and right now theres more garbage being posted in the off topic sections than any other section put together. No one forces you to read to topics. But new users who come on to this forum looking for answers tend to be drawn in to off topic areas instead.
So whats so bad in people being drawn into the lounge section?! You scared they will see we are people with senses of humour instead of geeks who can't talk about anything but BHP?

I really do not get it.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts

So whats so bad in people being drawn into the lounge section?! You scared they will see we are people with senses of humour instead of geeks who can't talk about anything but BHP?

I really do not get it.
Nothing bad at all - thats why a lounge section exists - its been here since the start.

But there are also posts outside of the lounge that generate as many laughs without being too 'geeky' and talk about horses. Maybe you should try it sometime... [;)] Get along to some of the shows maybe, I'm sure you'll see what its all about.

My point is that this forum is for VAG related chat. As much as the off topic section is there to server as a, well off topic area, the forums main focus is VAG - and it will remain that way.

I didn't start this forum to see it desend into a seedy joke session for some people and I want to make damn sure it stays at the forefront of VAG discussion - right now we're slipping down the slippery slope of loosing focus on the forums.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I really do not get it.
There is a distinction - this is a VAG Forum with off topic discussion
section, not Off Topic Discussion Forum with a VAG section. It
has nothing to do with having no sense of humour (which clearly is
subjective anyway).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Never been a fan of them per se. Lost a load with the transfer, but post less and less these days, no VAG car being one of them, plus busier life to lead, which is always a good thing.

That said seeing some of the posting on other car forums I frequent, the replies and assistance are very rapid, yet also a whole bundle of complete drivel talked and mainly friendly banter hurled about, yet post counts are rarely even mentionned....

Definately something to think about here.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On a similar note, even those who no longer have a VAG car, but once owned one still can contribute worthwhile advice... [:D]

Take Rally_Chris for example, he drives a Mini but his advice from past knowledge/experience is invaluable to some! [Y]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
On a completely different note we have 2 converstaions going on the
same topic now in 2 threads (Garym's poll apears to have tool off now)
could we lock this one and direct it to the Poll?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.